HOW TO: Mount a GPS to the center console

02Xterra

Wheeling
I started this project in search of a good way to mount my GPS in plain view, but not on the windshield where it leaves those rings when you remove it. So here's what I came up with:

IMAG1051.jpg

What you'll need:

> Standard gps suction-cup mount
> 1/4-20 hex nut, lock washer, and a 1-1/4" O.D. washer
> 31/32 OD, 1/2" ID rubber grommet.. can be found at Lowes or others for a couple bucks
> A custom part to replace the suction cup part

The first thing I did was to take apart the suction-cup mount. All you have to do is knock out the dowel pin that passes through cam-lever, base, and suction cup piece. It'll look like this once it's apart:

IMAG1022.jpg

I then took dimensions off of this piece below, the suction cup mount, and had a new part made at work

IMAG1023.jpg

Newly machined replacement part that will replace the suction cup part of the assembly:

IMAG1025.jpg

(By the way... This is a one-off part I had made at work and unfortunately cannot get anymore.. I'd be happy to post a .pdf of the drawing they made it to if anyone is interested in having one of these made at a shop local to them though :D )

Next, insert the new piece into the base and press the dowel pin back through the cam lever, threaded piece, and the other side of the cam lever.

IMAG1026.jpg

IMAG1027.jpg

I then grabbed a 1/4-20 hex nut, a lock washer, and a 1-1/4" OD fender washer.

IMAG1028.jpg

Now, remove the center part of the dash.

If you don't know how to do this, refer to this thread -> http://www.xterranation.org/showthread.php?389-HOW-TO-Remove-dash-trim-02-04

Now, you'll want to run your power cord under the center console if you want a nice, clean look. I had previously done this so I don't have any pics of this. but in the end, it'll look this this:

IMAG1040.jpg

I then trimmed the 31/32 OD grommet to fit into the center hole of the center console. I had previously enlarged these holes to fit the switches for my Hella's but have since removed them. I put a bit of double-sided tape around the outside edge of the grommet to help keep it in place.

IMAG1030.jpg

IMAG1031.jpg

It'll look like this installed:

IMAG1034.jpg

Then, install the new gps mount. Once installed the order should be:
Plastic base> threaded piece > center console > fender washer > lock washer > hex nut

IMAG1035.jpg

I left the nut a little loose, engaged the cam lever and then tightened the hex nut. That way, you can still pop it loose and move it around, rotate it, until you get it in the right place and then lock it down.

Once the GPS is clipped in, it'll look like this!

IMAG1039.jpg

Now put it all back in the X and fish the power cord through the grommet

IMAG1041.jpg

And then BOOM! It looks like this

IMAG1051.jpg

And when you remove the gps you can fish the wire back into the dash to hide the extra length of cord

IMAG1053.jpg

On a side note, I had bought a couple different sizes of grommets so I had a few leftovers. The holes in the plastic piece that goes around the shifters had been drilled years ago to hold an XM radio.. but since I no longer have that, i drilled them out and put in some 5/8 OD, 3/8 ID grommets (I think that's the right size). I routed my aux cable under center console and pushed it up through the grommet, like so:

IMAG1046.jpg

IMAG1047.jpg

Last edited: