Engine bay lighting

Ricel

Wheeling
Founding Member
Since I've got my X I've done a lot of work on it late at night and something that really bothered me was the lack of engine bay lights in my '02.

A guy came in the other day to work and wanted lights for his boat and that's when I saw these little sweet puppies.
9361205.jpg

Great idea for some low draw high lumen lighting for my engine. I picked up two lights (white) about 15ft wire (prob too much) a light up rocker switch to tell me if they are on, connectors, zip ties (small), and wire loom (plastic covering)
a8d0e876.jpg

Next I cleaned off a perfectly angled section and adhered the lights with the double sided foam tape it came with.
b1682f4b.jpg

cf865135.jpg

I then connected them together with heat shrink butt connectors and put more heat shrink over the connections. Try to avoid electrical tape, over time it breaks down and looses it's stickiness. Just look at your engine loom.

Next I connected the longer piece of wire in the same manner and fed it through the fire wall.
9ccf95df.jpg

283f76af.jpg

A simple screwdriver can give you a hand at poking it through
91926b58.jpg

After you have run your wire you should protect it with a wire loom.
6c1bc335.jpg

You are going to need to secure the loom down by ziptieing it, but without any good points for zipties you have to make your own. Take a small drill bit, little larger than your zipties and drill a hole on eater side of where you want the loom to lie. It is mainly double layered here under the hood but take your time and care not to pop outside the hood. Coat the holes in silicone to prevent rust and pop in your zipties. Bend them such as below and you can work them right out.
53a490b9.jpg

45ad0f09.jpg

0dfa19ab.jpg

Once all your zipties are done snip off the tails and make sure you leave enough room between your firewall and hood when hood is up.

Time for the real fun to begin! Grab a volt meter, your switch and end connections. On my switch it came with a indicator light so I have 'In, Out, Ground' on the back of my switch. If you don't get an indicator don't worry about the switches ground wire.
d19ad028.jpg

I ziptied the new wire to the exsiting loom and tucked everthing in nicely. (I hate messy wiring jobs!) Haha
020ec8f7.jpg

61aab3b0.jpg

I picked the empty spot left of the steering wheel for my switch. Had to cut the notch out of the way to get it to fit.

Taking the ground wire from the lights and the switch I ran it down by the Parking Brake pedal and found a nice grounding bolt already for me to use.
5114a38d.jpg

Twisted the two wires together and poped on a terminal end. (shrink wrapped of course)
3e5d9dde.jpg

Now to find some power to light up these bad boys. A great simple power source is the cig lighters. These lights take nothing for power so tying into this already existant source is a no brainer. Pick up some t-connectors. This allows you to use existing wires and tie off from them without cutting em. Just pop it on the existing wire, push it against the side and slide in your new wire. When your ready just squeeze down the metal pin and cover.
2c33c469.jpg

df60f796.jpg

Now run your power back to your switch location and attach all the spade ends to your wires. I threw another loom onto the three wires again for the clean look.
afddec08.jpg

Pop your switch in and test em out
9686af5b.jpg

Heres some night shots.
5991e605.jpg

0c396a20.jpg

a258c6f9.jpg

(pitch black out, no moon)

Before After
fd7533ca.jpg

949ae2a0.jpg

Questions Comments, hit me up.

Diadaga

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
Awesome job man, but for the love of jeebus where did you get those lights? I've googled my computer to death and all I keep finding are either strips or these little six pod things for motorcycles.

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
That is a sweet mod. I'm continuously baffled that the Xterras have no underhood lighting. Only vehicle I've ever owned that was like that.

Ricel

Wheeling
Founding Member
Those are them Everett, but I found they weren't putting out enough light. Found some other LEDs that make it look daylight under that hood! See if I can find the new ones.

Diadaga

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
Thanks alot for finding those for me cause I was having no luck whatsoever, and Mac I wish I could get to ebay stupid Govt internet.

Diadaga

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
I'm just glad guys are coming up with awesome ideas like this and are willing to share them. Cause I got nothing to do for 6 months except plan and buy stuff for the X.

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
I think I'm gonna add this to my mod list, but I'm just going to put a standard switch under the hood or use a pressure switch that turns the lights on when the hood is open and off when it's closed. No need to run wires into the cab for this one.

Tay-Lo

I'm the king of junk food!
This deserves a bump.

Has anybody done this with a switch inside the hood to automatically come on when the hood is up?

There is already a hood switch that tells the horn to honk if the alarm is activated and hood opens. I'm sure you could use that in the light wiring.

I was discussing with Prime about this and he had mentioned the same thing about the hood switch. Possibly tie to the negative side of the lights to the switch to turn you lights on