Oklahoma Meet & Greet - 24 March 2012

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
Update - 22 March 2012

What: Oklahoma Meet-n-Greet

When: 1030 Saturday, 24 March 2012

Where: The Old Plantation Restaurant, Medicine Park, Oklahoma

Why: meet some folks, swap some parts, gauk at rigs, have some lunch, go for a drive

Who:
1. OKXterra
2. MississippiGal
3. Macland
4. Jeepman1
5. SoonerFan
6. ahefner
7. black85vette
8. blakeX84
9. doublez85 (from ClubFrontier)
10. flowmasters (from ClubFrontier)
11. Rowdy Dowdy (from ClubFrontier)
12. DPTRO

Update - 22 Feb 2012:
Okay folks, looks like Medicine Park (just north of Lawton) will be the official initial meeting point. I say we shoot for a 10:30 meeting in the parking lot by the Old Plantation Restaurant on the main drive through town. We can grab some lunch after some rig gauking and head out towards the Wichita Mountains from there. I'm also up for heading back to Lawton proper afterwards and grabbing a beer or two at Mike's Sportsgrill. For those unfamiliar with the area that need more info, drop me a PM.

Here are links to the places listed above:

Medicine Park - http://www.medicinepark.com/index.php
The Old Plantation Restaurant - http://www.theoldplantationrestaurant.com/
Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge - http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/wichitamountains/
Mike's Sportsgrill - http://www.mikessportsgrille.com/ordereze/default.aspx

Original Post
Okay all you Okies (and Texans nearby), we're planning another Meet and Greet on Saturday the 24th of March in Lawton, Oklahoma (southwestern part of the state). Plans are still pretty loose, but we can get some grub, maybe cruise the backroads of the Wichita Mountains, and if anyone has any work to do, maybe have some mod time (I've got a garage with plenty of tools). If you're interested, post up! I'll update this OP as plans become more concrete.

Planning to attend:
1. OKXterra
2. MississippiGal
3. Macland
4. Jeepman1
5. SoonerFan
6. ahefner
7. black85vette
8. blakeX84
9. doublez85 (from ClubFrontier)
10. flowmasters (from ClubFrontier)
11. Rowdy Dowdy (from ClubFrontier)
12. DPTRO

The "maybe" list:
1. DallasX
2. SoonerNation
3. Fuznuck
4. GoBUFFS
5. WickedTaz (from ClubFrontier)

Last edited:

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
I thought about Meers too, though if it is a nice Saturday, it would mean eating really early or really late b/c of crowds in the spring. ANother option I thought about was Medicine Park. The Riverside Cafe is cool.

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
Yeah, Medicine Park is pretty cool. Not sure if you have ever heard of it, but it's claim to fame is being Oklahoma's first resort (1908 I think), lol. It was a hot spot in the 1920s for high society folks to get away. During prohibition it was a major center for speak easys. All the buildings are made of local granite cobblestone. It went downhill for years, but began a revitalization as a tourist town in the 1990s and it's development continues. Some cool local artist shops, B&Bs, restaurants, a winery, they're building a science museum, and there is a nice "creek walk" along Medicine Creek which runs right through town. It literally butts up against the east side of the refuge.

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
I updated the original post with replies from this site and TNX. And blakex84, I'm always down for a beer. Maybe at the Tavern in Medicine Park, or back in Lawton afterwards.

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
Macland, as the list of confirmed and maybes continues to grow I'm starting to think Medicine Park may be the best place to initially meet up. Both the Riverside Cafe and Old Plantation Restaurant have better seating areas and large gravel parking lots adjacent to them. It's also a lot easier to find than Meers for first-timers to the area. May give any of the less interested significant others something to do while we gauk at rigs (plenty to see and shopping along the creek walk). Be a great place to start a scenic drive too. If that sounds good to everyone on here, I'll check the Medicine Park events to be sure there isn't anything too big going on that day.

blakeX84

Test Drive
If the weather allows it, I think some friends and myself are going to camp the night before somewhere in the refuge. They've got pretty nice camp sites around Mt. Scott. It will give me a good excuse to get my gear all organized and cleaned up for the spring and summer seasons. If anyone else wants to join up with us feel free.

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
blakeX84. Very cool! I'll put you on the planning to attend list. Keep in mind, there is no camping on the refuge around Mt. Scott (only on the city property to the east). All the spots around Mt. Scott are for Day-Use only. The only camping aloowed on the refuge is at Camp Doris (middle of the refuge at Quanah ParkerLake) and limited back country camping in Charon's Garden (far west side of the refuge near Indiahoma).

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
^^ Ah, okay. Oh, and in case I came across wrong, I wasn't trying be a jerk about it. I have just known a lot of people who show up at the refuge expecting to camp anywhere and everyehere. Sorry if it came across wrong.

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
Okay, X owners... apparently the word of our M&G has spread throughout the Nissan truck and SUV community... let's make sure the other vehicles don't show us up with bigger numbers!

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
This M & G is being sponsored by the Xterra Nation

390356_726496588254_40301227_35920384_225031942_n.jpg

There will be some small prizes :w00t:

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
^^^ Ditto what Mac said!

Okay, only one week away! I need to update the first post with some other potential attendees tht have contacted me.

OKXterra

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
It's official, The Old Plantation Restaurant is reserving "the big room" this Saturday for the Xterra Nation and said their parking lot is our parking lot.

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Mainly meet and greet. We're going to be taking e scenic drive through the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Not wheeling, but a nice drive and OKXterra knows the area very well so I'm sure he'll be showing us the best of the area.