RoninJiro's Build (now diesel)

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
yea heard about the platinums, but not set on that just yet. I have not had issues with the optimas and have reached their service life, so it is time to replace them anyhow. This time around I will run 2 yellow tops seeing that they are duel purpose

RATTFINK

XN OG Admin.
Founding Member
Didn't realize my post would have that response haha The interstate batteries lasted a year to 1.5 years. Must be the heat here in TX?

/thread jack

Silver dude

Sliders
Founding Member
I will run 2 yellow tops.

Any idea on the placement this far in advance? Been picking peoples minds for ideas on this. The underhood area is rather tight though I suppose yours is a little different. The only xterra's I've ever seen with dual batteries were running the small Odyessy dry cells.

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
Any idea on the placement this far in advance? Been picking peoples minds for ideas on this. The underhood area is rather tight though I suppose yours is a little different. The only xterra's I've ever seen with dual batteries were running the small Odyessy dry cells.

I have no oversized air box anymore.... and the air box I do build will be over the wheel well close to the ABS block. So I have A LOT of space where it used to be, another full-sized battery it is!

edit: just picked up a new red and yellow.... but gonna trade the red in for another yellow

Last edited:

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
yea I thought about that one and still considering it... but that is not a priority right now for me, thank you for the link though

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
battery setup

179110_10151903062565564_805637895_n.jpg

484448_10151903061450564_1443799241_n.jpg

555828_10151903061055564_1388728857_n.jpg

541488_10151903059935564_386564807_n.jpg

Silver dude

Sliders
Founding Member
Looking great! Hmm might be worth reworking the airbox just for that. I've been pondering a setup behind the other battery but that seems much more balanced. Any thoughts on the wiring end of the install? Going manual with a on off switch or going all out with a kit?

Ben

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
Wiring is going to be kept simple with a blue sea battery selector 9001e (same ones I used on MRAPs), and cabling to make it all work. I prefer everything as manual as I can get it while being done safely.

Silver dude

Sliders
Founding Member
Yeah I've been thinking the same. The solenoids and that, for daily use kinda creeps me out. Big switch seems like the more solid solution. However, I'd just have to remember to disconnect turn it off when camping for the night so I don't awake to two dead batteries. Seems simple and rugged. Like that.

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
Just got my state inspection on it and it was a close one. They said I won't pass because there was not cat on it. My response... "It doesn't need a cat because it is a diesel, and special diesel cats weren't required until after 2005 IIRC." dumbfounded and stood there... and then was like "oh I didn't know that, I guess you learn something new everyday". So he went back out there played on the internet to see if it was true and continued on the inspection. Came back in and said that I was good to go. I told him as I was paying not to worry about it because this happened last year too at the same inspection station.

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
I had been looking into it for awhile so I knew how to do my exhaust. I had to make sure I was not required to have any type of diesel emissions on the exhaust even if I did get inspected here in austin. Did my research and as long as the engine swap was newer (which they could not prove it wasn't) than I think 2007 then it required no special exhaust emissions... and I could run a straight pipe from turbo back (or straight pipe with muffler on Non-turbo diesels). Also to be legal with any engine change/swap technically it has to be the same year the vehicle being swapped into or newer. So to go even more technical there is no way here in the states to prove what year the engine is and the TD27 block was still being used in 2003 model vehicles elsewhere in the world. Hell, it would be extremely rare for anyone to recognize the engine in my xterra, the inspection station thought my xterra was a special edition, lol.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Nissan, no. There are diesel powered x-trails, but they are not sold in the states.

This is the fist diesel powered Xterra that we know of.

sent via carrier pigeon

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
it was one of the products I was selling when I was active with my business. It was an exhaust jack, and it worked well, but you would need leather or something to put between the truck and bag itself (lots of sharp crap under there). I also experienced that the exhaust on the xterra would not hold enough pressure to lift the truck... so compressed air had to used. I did have to use it one time to pick up a lowered car that lost a wheel on while on the highway and worked perfect. I can honestly say I never had to use it on a trail because I have never been stuck....

edit:
that one was rated at 4tons

Last edited:

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
The Bushranger X-Jack exhaust jacks come with a rubber pad for just that reason. I think that's gonna be my next investment as far as truck stuff goes. Sweet pics.

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
The bushranger would be better indeed. The one I had was really thick but it still felt like it would puncture easy, and more or less a test product. Yes that was an datsun... there are two of them, if you look hard. I have been a datsun freak and owned around 5 datsun Z's but that was a long, long time ago

Roninjiro

Need Bigger Tires
guys I may be leaving the xterra family.. lol not really, but I am thinking about a Gen 1 frontier CC body to replace the SUV body. I would have to do adjustments due to the shorter wheelbase, but I have be longing for something with a bed on it for awhile. Gotta find a body though.