Backup Lights in Rear Bumper Corners

idratherbe

Skid Plates
This is a step by step of how I installed a set of PIAA 1500 backup lights. This can be used as a guide for other types of lights as well.

The hardware

IMG_3466.jpg

4 x 4" 1/4-20 carriage bolts (length could vary depending on your bracket)
16 x 1/4" washers
12 x 1/4" nuts
2 2" x 6" mending plates
(I got extra)

Line up the adjusting holes on the light bracket with the center of mending plate, mark holes

IMG_3470.jpg

mark center of those lines, that way you have more adjustably when it comes time for mounting

IMG_3472.jpg

Drill 1/4" holes, Insert bolts through plate, two washers and a nut go next, tighten. Thread the adjuster nut onto each bolt and your bracket should look like this. Now go hit it with some paint so it doesn't rust while you do next steps. (its too cold for me to paint or I would have done this)

IMG_3478.jpg

Now make some templates for your lights out of cardboard or something stiff. I took the lens off and traced around the plastic housing.

IMG_3482.jpg

This picture is just to show what it looks like behind the cover. You'll see there really isn't much room to go any lower then I did and still use this bracket.

IMG_3514.jpg

Find a location good for your application and tape up the area. Now tape on your templates, measure, adjust, measure, adjust, measure, measure, measure and measure again.

IMG_3483.jpg

Once you're sure of the spot, mark it out.

IMG_3485.jpg

measure some more, eyeball it, step back. Once your happy remove the cover. I drilled out the corners to make it easier to Dremel.

IMG_3488.jpg

Now cut it out. I used a Dremel with a plastic blade and it went easy. TAKE YOUR TIME!!!! Wear glasses and something over your mouth and nose. The bits of plastic go everywhere and you'll find it distracting when your getting hit in the face. I made my cuts tested fit, cut some more, tested, cut. I wanted a tight fit and once you take it away you cant put it back

IMG_3508.jpg

Now assemble your light onto your bracket

IMG_3487.jpg

Put whole assembly into bumper and put it back on the truck

IMG_3494.jpg

Now from under the truck adjust the bracket so most of it is on the metal, check clearances of bolts

IMG_3499.jpg

Mark the location with a sharpie and remove bumper again. I just had to cut the corner off of the bracket. once your happy with the spot secure just the bracket with either screws or 3m trim tape or both.

IMG_3514.jpg

I wanted to dress up the holes a little so i used this door trim stuff. Use a heat gun or hair dyer to soften it and make it ply-able. It also has a glue in it the works nicely once warm

IMG_3503.jpg

Once your trim is on, place the light back in the hole and put the bumper back on lining the bolts up with the lights bracket. Secure the cover to truck. Now adjust the nuts on the bracket so you have tension and the light should not move, thread the lock nuts on and tighten.

IMG_3519.jpg

Finished

closeupPside.jpg

lightson.jpg

idratherbe

Skid Plates
Thanks!

The lights are PIAA 1500's but I'm sure any light will work. If I were to do it again I would maybe find round LED's to make it easier. I had these lights so I was determined to make them work.

SnickerDoodle

Life's Better Seeing Pink
Founding Member
Dude! What a solution to the crappy dim reverse lights! I plan on doing this in the future! Thanks for the nice write up! Rep points no doubt!

PS. I has the same husky bag lol

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
I do like how they turned out, but I have been hard enough on mine that the thought of putting lights in them is just not for me. I kind of treat them as sacrificial plasitc pieces to the gobbles of wheeling.