Tablet mounting solution for $20

chuckamazuk

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
I wanted an iPad mount for the X real bad for a recent trip to Red River Gorge & Daniel Boone National Forest but didn't want to spend a hundred bucks to make it happen. This is what I came up with. It is relatively cheap and it performed really well, regardless of price-point. It is not perfect and I'd like to experiment a little bit but I wanted to share this in case anyone is interested.

Pics below, they are pretty self explanatory. The 4" T-Plate at Lowes lines up perfectly with the upper console screws. I took out the stock upper screws in the console, used two longer, slightly wider screws to mount the T-Plates (2 of them sandwiched together) in the stock sheet metal holes. Then I attached the vertical tube with a 1/4" bolt/washer/lock nut setup. Pretty simple.

4BD276D1-1C97-46BA-8063-A88A4B5BD00D_zps8qa3x1vu.jpg

FD2C3B6C-A552-4099-B34E-1FC82C32A8BF_zpstvmukcfi.jpg

0368C46D-4C0E-440C-BA2B-4010B75C3FB2_zpsygcbmd9k.jpg

Using an iPad Air (only 1 pound!)
3A7FC945-5B3D-4E68-82AE-83FF8D256168_zps3pqhtw3o.jpg

Observations:
The most movement came from the table holder part; the metal anchor part is very sturdy. We drove a section of the Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT) and hit some nasty sections and the mount never failed. I've added links to what I used below.

Order List (Lowes and Ebay links)
$3.26 - Stanley-National Hardware 2-Pack 4-in x 4-in Zinc-Plated T-Plate Brackets Item #315657, Model #DPB116
$0.98 - Blue Hawk 5-Count #12 x 1-in Zinc-Plated Interior/Exterior Sheet Metal Screws Item #57695, Model #605144
$0.40 - 1/4" Hardware: Zinc Hex Bolt 1/4"x3-1/2 (You can choose your own length and adjust your spacer accordingly), Nylon Insert Lonk Nut, Flat Washer (x2)
$2.37 - Spacer (sleeve) cut to desired length (~3"), Try to use aluminum or steel tubing the width of your washers to give a smooth(er) look). I have added $2.37 here to cover the cost of a cheap tube sleeve if you don't already have scrap.
$12.99 - iPad (any tablet) mount, LINK

KChurch86

Banned
Founding Member
Very cool! It reminds me a little bit of my DIY Droid holder, in that it's DIY, cheap, and functional.

My only point of criticism is that the 1/4-20 bolt you used looks a little bit short, it doesn't look like it's gone all the way through the lock nut. It needs to engage into the Nylon in the nut for the "lock" part of it to work.

I'm basing that off of this photo:

4BD276D1-1C97-46BA-8063-A88A4B5BD00D_zps8qa3x1vu.jpg

Other than that, I dig it! I like the DIY stuff more than the bought stuff. :D

EDIT: From the looks of it, you could just shorten the length of tube by 1/4" or 3/8" and be good to go ;)

Last edited:

chuckamazuk

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
Thanks for the constructive criticism, KChurch. It engages the nylon part with a couple of threads so it held great. I will shorten the tube up a bit like you suggested when I take it off to paint it.

Rob: I've always wanted to "drop mai beatz" while driving; thanks for the great idea. :D

chuckamazuk

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
how much movement do you get out of it?

Actually just a little. The majority of the movement if from the plastic holder; the steel T-Plate is very solid. You definitely can't make detailed way-points while moving offroad but it holds pretty well. Maybe I'll try to get a video for you guys.