DIY: HOW-TO modify the 05-08 Nissan GPS dock to fit a 14XX series Nüvi

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
HOW-TO modify the 05-08 Nissan GPS dock to fit a 14XX series Nüvi and hardwire it so it doesn't use a cigarette lighter plug.

I thought this was going to be the same as modifying for a 2xx series Nüvi, but when I got the GPS unit in it turned out to be quite a bit bigger. With the mods just to fit a 2xx, the lid wouldn't close, because my 1490 is wider than the bottom tray of the dock unit.

Step 1: Follow these instruction to the letter. Very easy. No reason for me to write it up when I used someone else's initial mod to start with.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7939

Many thanks to Snoopy of TheNewX.org for leading the way!

EDIT: It seems Snoopy's pictures are longer working, so while I have my Nuvi out for battery replacement, it seemed like a good time to take the whole thing apart and take pictures of the ball mount relocation.

First, separate the lid by undoing the 4 hinge screws.
IMG_0146-1.jpg

Then undo these four screws to get to the back of the ball mount. Undo the two screws holding the ball to this plate.
IMG_0146.jpg

Shave this tab off. I used an Xacto knife, but a razor blade, Dremel or sharp pocket knife could also work. Please be careful though.
IMG_0148.jpg

Flip the part that the ball mounts to and drill a ¹/₁₆" hole centered at the top left corner of the grid containing A-L.
IMG_0150.jpg

Using the hole you just drilled and the nearest of the original screw holes, reattach the ball mount.
IMG_0147.jpg

I know that's never going to be as good as Snoopy's explanation, but you can sort it out from the pics, which are missing from Snoopy's thread.

End EDIT

Step 2: Because the 1490 is taller than any other Nüvi the cradle needs to be trimmed after the ball mount has been moved (step 1). This allows clearance so the lid can be closed.

This is the cradle for a 205 shown for reference, as I did not take a picture of the 1490 cradle before I trimmed it. The little tab at the top needs to be cut off. I used scissors and then smoothed it with sandpaper.
101_4209.jpg

Here is the 1490 cradle after the cut.
101_4210.jpg

Step 3: Remove the bottom tray of the dock unit.
The 14xx series Nüvi is too wide to fit in the dock with the bottom tray present. At first I was going to Dremel it out for clearance, leaving the frame of the bottom tray attached for wire management and structural rigidity, but it wasn't necessary. It's much easier to remove the 7 screws and leave it out completely.

101_4211.jpg

The dock with the bottom tray removed.
101_4212.jpg

The dock with the tray removed and the cradle snapped onto the relocated ball mount. You can see how, with the tab removed, it is almost dead even with the top edge of the lid.
101_4217.jpg

With the 1490 installed.
101_4214.jpg

1490 in the dock with the lid closed!
101_4215.jpg

Then it's just a matter of following the instruction included with the dock to install it on the dash.
000_0045.jpg

HOW-TO hardwire the 1490 so the wires are behind the dash and the unit does not need a cigarette lighter plug.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of this, but here's a quick run through.

Step 1: Remove the cradle and wiring from the Nissan GPS dock (cradle supplies power for 7xx series Nüvi units. Units that use this power setup can be hardwired with no modifications directly to a 12vDC source, as the circuitry that steps the power down to 5v is in the cradle itself. All Garmin units that charge via a mini USB plug have the step-down circuitry in the cigarette lighter plug)

Step 2: Cut the cradle from the rest of the wiring. Remember to leave enough wire attached that you can resplice it if you ever have the need.

Step 3: Order one of these.
41M2r-DSvHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has the step-down circuitry in the middle and bare wires that can be directly spliced into the wiring you just cut off of the 7xx cradle.

Step 4: Splice them together. Red to red, black to black. I soldered mine and used heat shrink tubing on each individual wire with a larger bit of tubing over both splices.

Step 5: Connect the end of the wiring that came with the Nissan dock as described in the instructions, tapping into the stereo's ignition switched wiring (green w/black stripes, pin #1 on power/ground plug) and attach the ground ring to the stereo bracket mounting point. Plug the mini USB plug into the back of the GPS. It will now come on when you start the truck and go off when you turn the ignition off.

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with doing this. It's very, very easy.

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
Nope. Nissan logo was added to the boot screen. That's a Nuvi 1490, which was never sold by Nissan. I forget how I did it; but I'm pretty sure you can Google it and find out.

EDIT: Found this. Most Nuvis that have this option follow the same instructions to change the splash screen image.

http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=14460

Last edited: