Hidden Cargo / Tray Organizer

smplone

Bought an X
I started collecting little things I wanted out of the way back in the organizer under the cargo area. Now that I have some "Off Road" accessories to swap out between being on the street and off road, I wanted a cool place or method to store things. So I created this organizer in the back tray. The idea was generated from movies like "M.I.B." when they open the trunk and every weapon has a home.

Total price with this mod was about $20 in material, an extra $20 in tools I needed for the mod and about 12-14 hours of time.

Tasks include: Measuring, Cutting with knives (butter knife, box cutter, hunting knife) and jig saw, sanding (lots of sanding) stenciling and patience.

Material: I used attic insulation foam found at Home Depot. Came in 4'x8'x1.5" sheets. Total height from bottom of tray to top of surface is 4". hoever its angled slightly form rear to front as you are looking at it. So in interest of time, I just cut the base piece to cover as much surface area as possible. then cut the next piece to sit flush at top. But you have to constantly cut angles on all 4 sides and sand to sooner or later get it to sit flush with top, so lid can close.

Tips: Once both pieces are cut and in place, sand the tops of both pieces before stenciling. Once you cut your parts in pieces, you will have tough time sanding any in differences out or roughing surface up prior to paint. When you are ready to start cutting into foam. Start with base and turn it over to begin stenciling. You will know why when you get to that point because of the angled contours of tray, you will have a hard time determining where they are when foam is in place. Once you get base knocked out with pieces, just trace openings into top piece and cut again. The last tip is to either complete this mod how I will end up doing it or be more careful when choosing how pieces need to be positioned in tray.

Last steps: Ran out of paint to complete the painting and upload pictures. So will get more tomorrow. Since some of my pieces sink further than desired or makes job look home made, I have decided to get a thin sheet of something cut to cover foam and openings, then cut perfect size circles or squares around each opening. Then taking it to a graphics place to put a spiffy image over it of the part underneath it. Turn it into a compartment than my own "MIB" off road kit. Will upload final pics when done.

b3.jpgb1.jpgb2.jpg

smplone

Bought an X
Here it is all finished and put back together. Looks alright for a prototype. When its time to circle back around to this project for upgrading, Will look into a smaller foam piece for the top.

IMG_20130902_193908.jpgIMG_20130903_083014.jpgIMG_20130903_082945.jpg

Silver dude

Sliders
Founding Member
Very cool! Most people call tool frames like that. "Shadowed"

Its very popular in the aviation repair industry (usually a requirement) to have shadowed tool box drawers. It allows the mechanic to insure that all the tools are in the toolbox before the plane flight.

Looks super clean and secure.

smplone

Bought an X
Considering selling this setup with all the accessories included or giving away the tray. I will eventually be going to a rear cargo storage system and this space will be useless. Anyone interested?

smplone

Bought an X
IMG_20130831_183853.jpgIMG_20130831_204847.jpgIMG_20130903_083014.jpg

If I need to throw in the complete set up to include the volant cai, fender piping, street mode snorkel and cover plate; I might consider that as well.

Gotta love the spirit of always wanting to go bigger and badder