HOW TO FIX: Brake Lines/ Heat Shield Rubbing

AaronsX

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
So after I saw dave had his brake line bust while wheeling, and my brother having one bust the other day I remember this about all the first gens.

This is how I fixed the problem of the brake lines and heat shield rubbing on my First Gen Xterra.

The line was touching the heat shield and showed signs of it beginning to rub and eventually will rub a hole in the brake line. This repair took maybe 5 minutes at max!

Here is a picture of what I am talking about (Located in the engine bay)
You have the brake lines on the left (look like they are wrapped in aluminum foil) and the heat shield on the right. As you can see barely there is a little discoloration on the heat shield (the brown spot right across from the lines.) MINE ARE ALREADY SEPERATED...SO YOURS MAY BE TOUCHING.
close_UPPPPPP.jpg

Here is where you need to look for this in the engine bay.

engine_bay-1.jpg

These are the tools I used :D

tools.jpg

You can easily get to and fix this problem from the passengers side front wheel well.

tire_side.jpg

You can see the heat shield and brake lines front this shot. I placed the metal pipe just to the left and above the brake lines ( you can sort of see how that spot on the heat shield is a big more shiny, this is from me hitting it)
I placed the pipe there and began to lightly tap it with the mallet. Then I would go back up and look down throught the engine bay and see if there was seperation yet. If there is not you need to tap it just a little harder and keep doing this until they are sperated like I have pictured above. This will keep them from rubbing together, and I havent noticed mine closing back in together like it didnt work.

Hope this helps :)
-Aaron

AaronsX

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
Bump this! I feel like its important and could save some trouble when it takes a few minutes to fix. I did it over a year ago and mine is still separated from the brake lines!