HOW TO: Backup Camera In Reverse and on Switch

Xtacular

Bought an X
Founding Member
This will work for any generation, let me know if I should put a duplicate in the gen 2 section.

Just a quick way to have your backup camera come on when in reverse as well as when you flip a simple single pull/single throw switch. Basically you solder a diode (on the anode side) on the end of the wire you are splicing into your reverse light wire. To the cathode side (with the stripe), solder the power wire to your camera, as well as the wire running the output from your switch. The diode is basically a check valve, only allowing juice to run from the reverse signal to the camera and not the other way. That way, turning on the camera via the switch won't light your reverse lights lol.

I didn't get any pictures of the wiring but there's not much to see. Here's the circuit.

aac1dcb1.jpg

I ran the reverse signal to right by the driver side rear wheel well and put the diode there. That way I could use the cargo tie-down there for the camera's ground.

My setup is wired but it should work just the same with wireless, you just won't have a signal wire running from camera to monitor. Although you will still have to run a power wire from the dash to the rear because there's no accessory power in the hatch, and you don't want your camera on all the time.