Year: 2005
Make: Nissan
Model: Xterra
Trim: Off Road - 6MT
Color: Knight Armor

Modifications

Suspension, Lift, Tires, Wheels
  • Radflo 2.5 Internal Reservoir Coilovers w/ Eibach 600 springs
  • Titan Swapped w/ PRG Titan Upper Control Arms, Titan LCA, and SS Extended brake lines
  • MOOG Titan Inner and Outer Tie Rods
  • PRG AAL
  • PRG Adjustable Shackles (Last Hole)
  • PRG Titan U-Bolt flip kit
  • Radflo 2.0 Remote Reservoir
  • 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs
  • Pro-Comp 7089-6868's

Driveline

Armor

Electrical & Lighting
  • (2) PIAA 520 ATPs bumper mounted

Exterior
  • GOBI Ranger Rack
  • Bedlined Grille
  • 09 4x4 badge
  • 09 Headlight Mod
  • Wade in channel vent visors
  • decals

Interior & Stereo
  • Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD
  • Back-up camera
  • OTRATTW rocker switches

Recovery Gear & Trail Gear
  • 60" Hi-Lift
  • Hi-Lift base
  • Craftsmen tool set

Removed
  • Side Steps
  • Mudflaps
  • Rear sway bar
  • Rear sway bar brackets
  • Front sway bar

Project Expedition
  • hydro bumpstops
  • Custom made rear bumper
  • Titan width M226
  • 4-Link Rear with Coilovers
  • M205
  • 4.56 superior gears

The story

The morning after I picked her up - Bone Stock June 2, 2011
IMG_0102.jpg

Removed Mudflaps and Step Rails - August 2012
IMG_0194.jpg

Stealthed Grille - August 2012
IMG_0214.jpg

Spacers + AAL + Shackles (middle hole) + 285 Duratracs and Pro-Comps - October 2012
IMG_0359.jpg

Shrock - March 2012
IMG_05021-1.jpg

Titan Swapped - March 2012
IMAG0097.jpg

ECXC12
ecxc12.jpg

x5.jpg

x4.jpg

Gobi Ranger Rack - November 2012
IMG_11671.jpg

If you're not willing to give up everything, you've already lost
IMG_0591-1.jpg

Last edited:

xterra_mayo

Test Drive
My Xterra Story:

Well my first car was an 01 Mustang V6. I had a ball in that car and it never failed me after beating the living crap out of it throughout my senior year in high school. As I entered my first year in college driving that Mustang was just getting old and I was tired of riding shotgun in my buddies Jeep to go off-roading.

Fast forward to January of 2011 I was looking at what SUV's or trucks I could potentially afford. My choices came down to a Tacoma or the X. I always had a thing for the Xterra but after seeing way to many Tacoma's on the road and the high price tag on them the X was a clear choice; it was just want I wanted. After seeing the rigs thenewX.org I fell for the X even more.

As my second semester at URI ended in May I headed back to Lincoln (RI) and one of my old high school buddies committed to buying my Mustang off of me. So I was scrambling looking for Xterra's and then one day I logged onto thenewX and there was a posting for an 05 X Off-Road Knight Armor 6-speed w/ 96K for 9.5k right in Boston. I instantly PM'd him and found the ad on criagslist also. Within two days I drove up to Boston. Arriving I knew it was mine, it was everything I wanted including the color and the package. She was a 1 Owner and the previous owner treated her well. So I put a $500 deposit down. I talked the guy down to $8500 because I brought up the clutch probably being almost gone and some other loose ends.

I took the Xterra into my hands on June 1st, 2011. It was my first manual car so I learned on the beat up clutch and eventually burnt it out 3 weeks later. All in all everything fell into the right place at the right time for me. Although I did want a little less miles on it, it was everything I wanted for about 6k less than a dealer would have charged me for a true OR w/ 80k. Plus miles doesn't mean a lot as long as you keep up with your maintenance. But I can tell you I will own this truck forever.

The Old Girl
IMG_01012.jpg

Last edited:

xterra_mayo

Test Drive
June 2nd, 2011, the morning after I took delivery of the X
IMG_0102.jpg

About three weeks later the clutch was toast. Now I had anticipated something like this happening so it wasn't a big shock but all in all I was still upset. I was without the X for about 2 weeks. But I got her back as good as new with some trimmed fat thanks to JWT.
IMG_01531.jpg

IMG_01541.jpg

Well three days later on July 1st I was heading home from work and I was slowing at a stop sign. Naturally I pushed in the clutch and went to to take the X out of third to neutral. Somewhere in the middle of this transition the gearbox froze up and the X was stuck in third. So I limped off to an empty parking lot and called AAA along with my mechanic who replaced the clutch. He told me to bring it in and he'd try and get it fixed immediately. They took the whole shifter assembly apart and could not find anything wrong with the seating that would cause it to get stuck. So I was again X'less. I let it sit at the shop for about a week and a half trying to decide where to take since my mechanic said a tranny shop should deal with this issue because it was very strange. He wanted me to bring it to a very reputable place in Providence but he said they are very costly. But one of my moms friends recommended this small shop close by where the head mechanic who had a very deep background with cars and Nissan's since he used to customize them extensively. So I brought it to him around the middle of July. I told him the story and he was dumbfounded. He gave me all possible scenarios on why this could of happened including the shop using the wrong gear oil, not enough, or even putting no gear oil in. Soon all these scenarios were non existent because as dropped the tranny and removed the flywheel he couldn't find any evidence of the bearings over heating and when he drained it no metal particles fell out. Everything seemed fine from the outside. The next step he took was to open it up. When he went to go open the case up it magically popped out of third. He called me and said he could not even believe that happened and that he was going to take a magnifying glass to every gear and tooth to see if there is any evidence of damage. Upon further inspection nothing was wrong. He was dumbfounded, I was dumbfounded, and everyone I spoke to was dumbfounded. He said that he'd put it back together and that he'd keep the X and use it for a couple of days to see if it would happen again. In the beginning of August I finally got my X back. It was a freak accident that cost $600 but I was more happy to finally get my truck back after being without it almost all summer.

August 2011, As soon as I received the X back I tore off the step rails, mudflaps, and bedlined the grille black.
IMG_0214.jpg

October 2011, I was sick of seeing the X stock and I knew I was due for new tires. At this point I was still trying to find the direction of my X but after looking at the IZVERG build on thenewX I wanted mine to come out similar but couldn't afford a titan swap just yet. So I promptly ordered top-gun spacers, PRG AAL, 285/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, and after a long debate with myself I pulled the trigger on Pro-Comp 7089-6868's.
Before:
IMG_0272.jpg

After:
IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

November 2011, I was getting bored and wanted to do some small mods to the X so I took up the rear breather mod, the 09 headlight mod which is one of the cheapest best mods you can do IMO, and I added some PRG variable height shackles. Also during November I set up an epic Shrockworks group buy on thenewX which I ordered a winch bumper and some sliders.
Breather mod (and yes I removed the sway bar since this picture:))
IMG_0307.jpg

09 Headlight mod
IMG_0349.jpg

Shackles in (middle hole)
IMG_0359.jpg

January 2012, My sliders arrived two months exactly from my order date.
photo.jpg

March 2012, Was by far the best month of the year for the Xterra. My titan swap was an official go and my shrock was on its way. I spent my spring break modding the X while taking my paid vacation from stop and shop (grocery store in the north east). Now my titan swap was not a "full" swap as I have a manual and did not want to re-gear so I purchased the extended R180 shafts.
Shrock:
IMG_2516.jpg

IMG_8412.jpg

IMG_9013.jpg

Titan Swap:
IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

one side done
IMG_0510.jpg

complete
IMG_0513.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0104.jpg

IMAG0106.jpg

Rear
IMG_05401.jpg

Fat trimming
IMG_05151.jpg

IMG_05141.jpg

Since these initial pictures I've raised it in the front a little. I'll post some in the next few days Hopefully in the summer i'll be able to buy new packs but mine still have plenty of life in them for now.

March 30th 2011, I obliterated a duratrac on a fire road going about 40mph. I know stupid but I just wanted to test the front radflos out a little. I should of waited until my rears rads were in because the back end was so bouncy it caused me to try and correct the truck left because the back end kicked right and a tree stump took a duratracs life instantaneously. The story gets better though. I didn't have a spare tire after meaning to get one for about 5 months and just never have, so that bit me in the ass pretty bad. So I had to leave the X in the woods :)(, but on the other hand the place is safe and I rarely see someone on it) on my spare rim. I found a duratrac the next morning luckily and put it on. Lesson learned have a spare and yes I now have a spare.

IMG_05331.jpg

IMG_05351.jpg

IMG_05371.jpg

Last edited:

xterra_mayo

Test Drive
So did you make it across the creek? :D
hahaha yes indeed I have.

Nice looking truck you got there! :luv:
Thanks doodle!

Man that thing looks mean! I like it!
Thanks Mac!

Looks good. I think the 2nd Gens look monster with that Titan swap..
Thank you man. I agree, my pictures do not do it justice though, I will have to get some better ones up.

dat stance! sweet lookin rig!!
Thanks dude. I love the stance it just looks mean, glad you like it as well!

**Also I have updated the first 2 posts that I had initially reserved.

jmnielsen

Need Bigger Tires
Hey man what was the total cost of your TS? I like the idea of not doing a whole drive train swap. I don't wheel hard enough to bust my R180, I'm easy on the gas when I am wheeling as well.

xterra_mayo

Test Drive
Next big mods are new leaf packs, full skids, rear bumper with tire carrier, air bump cans, and a full roof rack. Maybe inbetween me doing all that i'll do some engine mods. I want to upgrade the stereo as well. The stock RF system is getting a little dull.

Sent from the batcave

Last edited: