How-to: Bushings Shot? Maybe Not!

Oz_X

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
EDIT: I used to have this problem but no longer after this fix. This is an old 'How-to" from a previous site I was on. I thought I would share it here.

How-to: Bushings Shot? Maybe Not!
I've had a nasty clunking when backing up or rolling forward slowly. Really noisy when turning. When the weight of the truck would shift there would be a resounding "clunk". When SQB was here on the Hungry Valley run he noticed it right off and suggested it was the wheel bearings (due to having spacers). Well checked the wheel bearings and all good. Tightened down everything on the front and clunk still there. Had a 4WD shop diagnose it and showed me the movement of the LCAs when stopping and reversing. They thought the LCAs needed the bushings replaced. Sounds reasonable. Enter Greg at PRG products. I will say this quite emphatically. A CALL TO GREG MAY SAVE YOU A COUPLE OF HUNDRED BUCKS!

Greg surmised that it may not be the bushings. He says in fact that they should last a long time (much longer that the 36k on my X). He said that historically the front and rear sides of the 'fork' on the LCAs have a rubber 'washer' that wears easily. PRG Products has in fact a product that cures this problem. Delron inserts that go on each side of the 'fork'. Here's a "How To":

As always, safety first. Chock your wheels
DSC_3654.JPG

A quick spray of WD to make the nuts come off easier
DSC_3655.JPG

AS to not screw with the alignment too much I marked the position of the camber bolts and washer. I will have it aligned next week but this will get me by.
DSC_3656.JPG

Now here is the exposed 'suspect' bushing. Doesn't look too bad!
DSC_3657.JPG

Here's a brand new one from my Titan LCAs. Compared to this the old one looks OK
DSC_3658.JPG

Round, like lifesavers. Delron washers/spacers from PRG Products
DSC_3659.JPG

Here's what the busing looks like without the Delron spacer
DSC_3661.JPG

Here's with the spacer
DSC_3660.JPG

"Fork" end of LCA sliding in with Delron spacer.
DSC_3663.JPG

Before tightening nuts I like to use a little anti-seize grease. This would be especially good advice for all you snow bound salt road guys.
DSC_3664.JPG

Washer and bolts line up to original postion.
DSC_3666.JPG

On this job I used my floor jack to manuever the LCA around. Taking the pressure off makes its a ton easier to get them bolts off. I did not have to beat them on or off. Came out with a simple pull.

Then tighten everything back up. Lather, rinse, repeat for the other three bolts you'll have to do.
DSC_3665.JPG

All done! No more clunk!!!
DSC_3667.JPG