In Cabin Filter replacement

xterror04

Site sponsor
Founding Member
Here is a quick DIY for the incabin filter for your 2000-2004 xterra's, Not all xterra's came with the incabin filter but with a box cutter you can cut the slot out and put a filter in.

I went to Advance Auto parts and bought a Beckley Arnley filter for $24

First remove the screw on the bottom right side of the glove box
2012-03-29_17-41-50_813.jpg

Then Remove the screw on the bottom left
2012-03-29_17-41-56_84.jpg

Then remove these four screws at the top and pull out your glove box
2012-03-29_17-41-25_11.jpg

then you will see this
2012-03-29_17-34-45_116.jpg

remove the small metal clip at the bottom
2012-03-29_17-39-40_949.jpg

2012-03-29_17-39-29_440.jpg

Most new filters will come with a clip but save the old one just incase,
Now pull the old filters out
2012-03-29_17-34-29_255.jpg

2012-03-29_17-34-13_322.jpg

Now I like to use a shop vac and suck out any debri before installing the new filter,
Now slid the new filters in attach the clip and pop the glove box on and enjoy the fresh air!

TKDx00

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Did mine the other day. Mine didn't have the filters and therefore didn't have a clip. I used a box cutter to cut along the pre-marked edges. Slid the first filter in then up. Then slid in the bottom filter. It was a snug fit and no clip was needed.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
It takes 5 min to find out. I'd go ahead a put one in, esp since you said you have pollen covering your dash.

BlOwNXT

Need Bigger Tires
Did mine the other day. Mine didn't have the filters and therefore didn't have a clip. I used a box cutter to cut along the pre-marked edges. Slid the first filter in then up. Then slid in the bottom filter. It was a snug fit and no clip was needed.

So even if yours doesn't have the filters your saying you can add them?

Sent from the hills of East Tennessee!

Kris&HerX

Bumpers Installed
Founding Member
Mmmm I know this is a HUGE question to ask.... but can anyone who doesn't have these filters & is planning on doing the cut-out please post a how to with pictures.

Edit: I know just cut along the lines.......... but I wanna see someone else do it first before I get that knife happy again.:dead:

TKDx00

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Kris believe me it's REALLY REALLY simple. Just take off the glove box. If you see what looks like a verticle handle on the box, you have the filters. Otherwise, it's a simple verticle rectangle cut on a pre-outlined surface. Hardest part is getting the crap out that might have built up in there. I can take off the box and take a pic holding the blade where I cut to show if you need it tonight or tomorrow. :happy:

AaronsX

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
Ive seen a DIY on CX for the cut and insert of the X's that didn't have them. If I recall you also need to vacume out the air box because he had leaves and ish in his!

KBTerra

Bought an X
Hey Xterra04, do you have a part number for those Beckley Arnley filters? I can't find those at my Advance Auto Parts. Or, is there an equivalent to that filter that might work? I've only had my Xterra for three weeks. I would have never known there was a filter in there if I hadn't come across this thread.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Hey Xterra04, do you have a part number for those Beckley Arnley filters? I can't find those at my Advance Auto Parts. Or, is there an equivalent to that filter that might work? I've only had my Xterra for three weeks. I would have never known there was a filter in there if I hadn't come across this thread.

Not all Gen 1s had this... If you look behind the glove box you will see if you do have it... IF you dont.. Its a simple mod so that you will ;)

xterror04

Site sponsor
Founding Member
I do not have the part number right now but it needs replaced again so when I do that I will post the part number

blakeX84

Test Drive
I did this today. Mine didn't have filters either. Very easy to cut out the area and install the filters. Filters came with a clip that snapped right on. Curious as to why there weren't filters in the first place?

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
It's a 'dealer installed option'. My 2001 had it, my 03 Lancer doesn't (and the evaporator is filthy). They should be standard on all vehicles.

CrazySteve911

Need Bigger Tires
Here are some pics for people who do NOT have the filters already in place.

887229_4216601506868_2005762951_o.jpg

906294_4216601706873_544014513_o.jpg

306063_4216602146884_1900886502_n.jpg

733968_4216602426891_9230873_n.jpg

Pardon the messy cuts. I couldnt find my dewalt blade anywhere so I had to use my ghetto backup.

xbassman

Test Drive
Took out 5-6 screws and my entire glove-box just pulled out. My 2002 X, 5 speed, V6 did have the two filters - removed clip and pulled out filters....WOW were they dirty. Cleaned out cavity best I could (leaves & misc. dead bugs) installed new filters (fm Ebay @ $12.00 for both), I did hang one of those air fresh. on the filters before I installed them. Glove-box back in and a total of 15 min. later I was done.

XTorrey

First Fill-Up (of many)
Hmmm.... You say that as if I never pick up the slack. Might we discuss your cats? My bumper? Your skids? I rest my case. ;)

Sent from the wastelands of Tatooine