Cobra 75 WXT CB Radio

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
Anyone have a Cobra 75 WXT installed? Looking for ideas for placement. There used to be a write-up at that other site but somebody yanked their pics...(cough)TN4x4Xterra(cough)...

oh, this one>>>
02822984000_20100513080301795

Last edited:

Sionnach

Bought an X
Founding Member
I've got that one.

Check out my build thread.
I mounted the handset to the right of the dash radio.
I also made a custom holder to hold the cable end to make it easier to plug and unplug the handset.

Only thing I would do differently is place the clamshell further back in the wheel well.

You'll see what I mean when you look at the thread.

(on my mobile so don't have the link handy)

SnickerDoodle

Life's Better Seeing Pink
Founding Member
I had my old 75 just like ^^^^. super easy. ran the coax from the back hatch under the plastic and rug. under the door plastic (driver side) under the seat and along the center console (i tucked it under the console and then mounted it under the back of the radio area. i had the cord for the mic coming out of the little vent in the plastic *where your right leg sits* bam! easy peasy!

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
I've got that one.

Check out my build thread.
I mounted the handset to the right of the dash radio.
I also made a custom holder to hold the cable end to make it easier to plug and unplug the handset.

Only thing I would do differently is place the clamshell further back in the wheel well.

You'll see what I mean when you look at the thread.

(on my mobile so don't have the link handy)

Dude. You are an artist. Nice. Food for thought for sure. Any reason you opted for the clamshell instead of just having the coax receptacle mounted with just the grommet at right angles to the plastic? I mean, I assume it's so the cable lies flat against the plastic and doesn't interfere with passenger legs (?) Regardless, that's pretty darn sweet, as is the rest of your build

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
I probably should have mentioned, I bought two control units, one for each X, so I can switch the handset back and forth. As such, I'm looking for something like what sionnach did to allow for easy connect/disconnect from the control unit

Sionnach

Bought an X
Founding Member
Dude. You are an artist. Nice. Food for thought for sure. Any reason you opted for the clamshell instead of just having the coax receptacle mounted with just the grommet at right angles to the plastic?...

Thanks!

I Started off with just the grommet in the plastic and that was way too loose when I wanted to plug and unplug the handset.
I then did a aluminium angle bracket and while it sorta worked, it was ugly.

So I did the custom clamshell.

I've got the file up on shapeways if you want to get one for yourself.

:)

I'll get the links up to you in a few.

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
Gotcha. I decided to try something different, which i will unveil when finished, hopefully tomorrow...after having done the grommet install i totally get what you mean

Sent from my brain using technology

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I mounted mine under the drivers seat, upside down (so the speaker is facing up) and also so when I reach down to adjust everything, it is still the same (right is up on volume and what not, left is down)

I have it mounted to that support that the drivers seat is mounted to in the front (the raised part) and I have the CB mic mounted to the right, right under where you rest your leg. I have the coaxial coiled and behind the CB (because you are supposed to do that). and then the PA speaker sneaks out to the side, under the door molding, and into the engine bay, running to the PA. I like my set up

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
Ok so i found some room behind and below the stereo / ashtray etc to place the remote unit, and mounted the connection in the empty spot next to the aux. power:
465ace8e-327f-b038.jpg

465ace8e-32b1-9e31.jpg

Put the handset here:
465ace8e-3306-559b.jpg

Wires to power and ground out through the grommet in the passenger side firewall.
You can see where the antenna coax exits bottom right, havent exactly decided where im headed with that other than im going to do a fold-down firestik mount on my roof. To be continued...
(the white wire is my ipod/iphone usb coming out the ashtray from the back of my stereo)

[edit: any tips on running the coax out to the roofin the rear appreciated...was thinking I'd go across at the firewall on the passenger's side, up the piller and over the doors in the headliner, but I haven't fully explored whether that's a viable plan]

Last edited:

Sionnach

Bought an X
Founding Member
Nice job!

If you are only running the one coax I'd run it out the rear hatch through the rubber that already has wiring from the C column to the hatch.

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
So I went to the cb store at the local truck stop to find a fold down antenna mount. Got myself a cb lesson while I was there, including a lecture on why firestiks are terrible. Supposedly really inefficient. Any truth to this? Not that it matters I got a different one...for 40 bucks. It was worth it though. Dude was a throwback and fun to talk to.

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
And here's the finished fold-down antenna mount...
4c711a8d-b49d-e770.jpg

4c711a8d-b4ba-7bd6.jpg

Coax coming out from under hatch:
4c711a8d-b50a-ebf0.jpg

...and where it started:
4c711a8d-b534-4928.jpg