Finally Building It

HolyGhost Nov 5, 2018

  1. HolyGhost

    HolyGhost Test Drive

    Messages:
    26
    It's going to be slow progress but I feel like I have made the first steps. Next step is going to be finding a daily so I can get to work without the X.
     
  2. HolyGhost

    HolyGhost Test Drive

    Messages:
    26
    No real update but as people who do engine projects know just because you haven't started tearing it down doesn't mean you haven't made progress on the plan. I have decided to use the VG33 and add the turbo gear from the VG30ET onto it. This has a few complications mainly that the pistons will have to be reworked to a lower compression ratio to be more turbo friendly. There are not a lot of piston options for the VG33 so I talked to Rebello Racing in California and they agreed to make custom forged pistons for my build. He said that they have done one of these builds before and still have the pistons job file.

    I also agreed to get new rods from Rebello Racing too. I know the VG33 rods are forged and would more than likely be fine but this being a truck motor with 215K miles so I thought why not get new rods. Only 100$ a rod and I really don't want this thing to come apart. Talked to the local machine shop about doing the machine work make the holes round again check and balance the crank.

    Clearance wise I have an issue with the crossover pipe that goes behind the engine in the 300zx I do not have the space for it in the X but I have a solution. I have going to build custom log style turbo manifold and route the exhaust crossover below the engine. Luckily the exhaust setup is much simpler on the 300zx only one CAT and o2 sensor compared to 4 on the X so that should help with clearing up space for the crossover. So now the plan is to raise the turbo up to close to the ac compressor which also solves the minor issue of the engine mount and turbo clearance. example of a log manifold that I plan to build https://www.puckerfactoryfab.com/product/z31-relocation-manifold

    Lots if words and no pictures but I thought I would keep this thread documented for anyone who is thinking about doing the same build.

    I did do one thing to the X they say the cheapest way to add power is to remove weight so I guess the cheapest way to kill power is to add weight. Finally got the used engine skid on. I didn't have any of the stock hardware so I had to improvise. Custom 1/4"x1" brackets in the rear and cheap square ubolts in the front. I have some rubbing on the control arms but I can clearance that easily. I also drilled and tapped holes so I can use the stock front skid.
    [​IMG]
     
    TerryD likes this.

Share This Page