Founding Member
Truck & Username: Bklyn.X
Year: 2001
Make: Nissan
Model: Xterra
Color: Silver Ice

History:
Original owner, purchased new in 2001.
*Championship "Team NEXterra" member (participating truck & driver)
*"ECXC Challenge 2007, 2008, 2009 Winner
*March 2009 Truck Of The Month on ClubXterra.org
*Readers Rides, Petersen's 4WHEEL &OFF-ROAD June 2009
*September 2010 Xterra of the Month on ClubXterra.org
*October 2011 Xterra of the Month on ClubXterra.org
*September 2012 Xterra of the Month on ClubXterra.org
*March 2020 Truck Of The Month on Xterra Nation

Mods:

Exterior
-------------

Shrockworks front bumper
Hella Rallye 4000 - HL74805K Fog lights
Warn XD9000i winch
Masterpull synthetic winch line
Shockworks rear bumper
w/tire & HiLift carrier and Quick-Release Pin lock
Shockworks rock sliders
Shrockworks Gas Tank Skid Plate
60" All Cast HiLift Jack
Interior
-------------

SmittyBilt G.E.A.R. Seat Covers Model # 5661001
Cramer Decker Industries 10 lb adjustable CO2 system (no longer available) plus extra tank
Olight M3XS-UT Javelot
Fire Extinguisher

In-Car Entertainment
-------------

Kenwood DDX371 Head Unit with back up camera
Infinity Reference 652i speakers
Infinity Reference 653i speakers (no longer available)
Infinity Reference Tweeters
Infinity BassLink
Cobra 19Ultra III CB (out of production)
4' Firestick Antenna
Midland MICROMOBILE®GMRS two-way radio
MXTA25 3dB gain "Ghost" antenna.
Optima Red Top.
ARB CKSA12 Compressor
WirthCo "Battery-Doctor" 150 Amp Battery Isolator
Rexing V1 Dash Cam

Under the Hood
----------------

VG33E 3.3 litre V6
Snorkel (the old PITA to install one...)
Volant cool air intake
Walker California Cat Delete (53345 Drivers side. 54338 Passenger side).

Powertrain
----------------

OEM 4-Speed Automatic transmission
Perma-Cool 10677 Deluxe Automatic Transmission Filter Kit
B&M #70268, 11”x7 ½”x3/4” 13000BTU Automatic Transmission Super Cooler
Nissan TX-10 transfer case with Low range 3.7 to 1 reduction gears installed by Bandit4x4
TX-10 Front CV Flange Yoke
D44; Yukon 5.13, ARB RD116, Ruff Stuff 3/8” Diff Cover, Rock Hard 4X4 "Hardhat", RVC Chromoly Axles, SOLID Axle Industries Forged 6 on 5.5 Bolt Pattern Hubs, Yukon 30 spline Hardcore Locking Hub Set
Mr. Driveshaft custom double cardan 1330 front driveshaft
H233B; Yukon 5.13, ARB RD24
ARB Heavy Duty Air Line Kit (front & rear)
Bandit4x4 TX-10 rear SYE
Two piece double-cardan 1330 custom rear drive shaft.

Brakes
----------------
Wilwood Aluminum Tandem Chamber Master Cylinder with the Combination Proportioning Valve and Wilwood ten pound residual pressure valve

Suspension
----------------

Bandit4x4, Ruff Stuff, Ballistic Fab, Modified Calmini Radius Arm SAS
Universal Tube Reinforcements
Fox 2.0" diameter 10" travel 50/70 valving Coil-over Remote Reservoir
Eibach 8" 300 lbs./in Top Spring, Eibach 12" 300 lbs./in Bottom Spring
Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks
63" Chevy 1/2-ton spring
Ruff Stuff R1064 swap kit
SOA Ruff Stuff R1029 Perch Kit
Ruff Stuff R1180 shock mounts

Steering
--------------------

Ruff Stuff 7/8 Heim

Wheel and Tire
--------------------

WRANGLER MT/R WITH KEVLAR - SIZE: LT35X12.5R15.
Daytona, Steel, Black, 15 in. x 8 in., 6 x 5.5 in. Bolt Circle, 4.75 in. Backspace

Photos:
Posing on the beach in Long Island NY on April 5th, 2008.
DSC_0033.jpg

Petersen's 4WHEEL &OFF-ROAD June 2009;
Petersen_s+4WHEEL+_amp_OFF-ROAD+June+2009.jpg

Rausch, ECXC17;
35972641072_5dd307a63e_o.jpg

36007043271_00fa14c2e0_o.jpg

Some video;

ECXC '07 Competition, 1,

ECXC '07 Competition, 2,

ECXC '07 Competition, 3,
XterraMike's video from the ECXC '09 Competition, Thanks XterraMike,

OFR 2013.

Nexterra 2014 April Fools Run @ Rausch

Last edited:

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
Sorry, been slackin on my build thread for a bit. I updated the OP. Since last I did that here I’ve put my manual hubs and Deaver Spring Baja Bushings back in the truck.
I’ve also finally upgraded my OEM head unit to a Kenwood DDX371 Head Unit and wired a back up camera to it.

back+up+cam.jpg

I added an auxiliary battery and inverter

inverter.jpg

I switched running my Front & Rear ARB Air Lockers from being actuated by a co2 set up to an ARB CKSA12 Compact Onboard Compressor. I decided to it on the co2 bracket in place of the co2 manifold. This way I wouldn’t have to lose my co2 and don’t have to re-plumb the lines.

Old;

old+power+tark+manifold.jpg

New;

ARB+air.jpg

Thanks for looking, hope to see ya on the trail sometime soon!

Walking+13.gif

Last edited:

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
As some of you might already know I’ve SAS’ed my Xterra.

Before I get in to the details of how let me try to explain why.

The last two times I’ve taken the truck out to wheel she has failed. On the way to a run at Rausch the passenger side LCA failed…on the way. I spent the next day replacing it and never got out on the trail.

At The NER17 my front dif shiat the bed…wheeled one trail.

I’ve rebuilt my front end; CV’s, steering, ball joints, diff drops, cross member, etc. so many times I’ve spent thousands…plus I’m a ufcking expert.

When my dif went Justin lent me one of his spares (thanks Justin) and I took mine down to Bandit4x4 so that Dave, Andy and I could crack it open and assess the damage then plan the fix.

When it was discovered it would all need to be replaced (including the ARB) I spent some time figuring out what to do.

I’ve always been hesitant to sas my truck. Everyone I know who has done it so far is now out of the game. I don’t drive my truck a lot on the street but I do drive it to work and back when the weather is bad or it is below freezing and I do drive it to the trail.

After consulting a few guys I know, doing some online research and getting Dave’s assurance of holding my hand through the process I decided to SAS rather than fix my IFS...again.

What I didn’t want was a truck I could not drive to and from the trail but one that was not as fragile as what I had with IFS.

I’ve ordered the kit from Calmini as it has been the tried kit and any faults have been well documented and addressed. I know that the Radius Arm isn’t as good for the trail as a 3 or 4 link but for what I do I’m hopeful it will do. Plus I do not have the knowledge to put together, tune or maintain a linked truck. I can’t have Dave holding my hand throughout the life of this thing.
I have spared very little expense re-building an old 1989 Wagoner d44 Andy found for me cheap. It should be very robust.
With Dave and Andy holding my hand the d44 was broken down and had a media blast. I’ve re-geared (Yukon 5.13 R&P) and installed ARB lockers in my h233b and the d44. RVC axles ($$$ :shock: yikes), Fox coil-overs with Eibach springs (yikes :shock: again), WARN hubs with RVC 30 spline upgrade, new calipers, seals, ball joints, bah, bah…
Calmini sucks and only sent part of the kit. I still do not have; Track Bar, Track Bar Hardware, the lower arm Heims, the Drag Link extension or hardware and the Sway Bar System.
Dave made me a Track Bar and 7/8 Heim Steering from kits I got from Ruff Stuff. He also got me lower arm joints from Ballistic Fab.
These are way beefy and are an improvement over the crap Calmini is withholding.
Dave told me what to buy, did all the welding and really put the whole thing in for me. I just handed him parts and tools and stood around looking bewildered…
Thanks Dave!
I got a SYE ordered for the rear and will most likely go spring over but that can wait. I’ll probably run my 33’s for a bit to shake out the system but will be able to run 35’s with those axles in the future.

I am not rich but I had a rough time trying to convince myself into re-building the truck with the IFS.

The choices came down to selling the truck and doing something else or this.

I’m hoping to get a few bucks back on some of my IFS aftermarket and OEM parts; UCA’s, SLR steering, HB Hubs, etc. but we’ll see.

I ran it at ECXC17 and am pleased so far. It’s a bit washy on the road but I’m thinking the anti-sway bar will clam it down when it shows up and is installed.

…that’s my story. Pretty exciting…OP has been updated.

Thanks for looking.

Fromfrontier2Xterra

I bought a Taco
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Very glad you stayed with it Tom And glad to hear and see Dave was able to help with the shiatty calmini situation. Truck looks great and will be watching for your assessment when the sway bar gets put on.

Gen X

First Fill-Up (of many)
Supporting Member
I want mine to look like yours. I need some IFS upgrades, watchya gonna part with from going SAS?

Riz98

Test Drive
Speaking from experience with the Calmini SAS kit, I just removed the sway bar so the front suspension isn't limited. Driving with the sway bar off the truck is not much of a difference. Yes there is more body roll going around corners but nothing crazy. Going down the highway feels the same. Also I am on 250/250 lb springs so if anything your springs should help with the body roll a little better due to being a little stiffer. After your SYE we will almost have identical rigs besides the gearing. Nice Xterra though!!!

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
I want mine to look like yours. I need some IFS upgrades, watchya gonna part with from going SAS?

I got a bunch of stuff I need to take apart, clean, rebuild and catalog. It might be a while before I’ve got it together and put it up. Most of it has a line of folks waiting for it already.

Speaking from experience with the Calmini SAS kit, I just removed the sway bar so the front suspension isn't limited. Driving with the sway bar off the truck is not much of a difference. Yes there is more body roll going around corners but nothing crazy. Going down the highway feels the same. Also I am on 250/250 lb springs so if anything your springs should help with the body roll a little better due to being a little stiffer. After your SYE we will almost have identical rigs besides the gearing. Nice Xterra though!!!

Hm, I was hoping the sway bar would make more of a difference. I probably need to adjust the springs.

You got a build thread for your truck somewhere I can look at?

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
Thanks bro.

For your viewing pleasure;

1989 Wagoner D44;
D44.JPG

D44+a.JPG

D44+b.JPG

D44+c.JPG

Breakdown;
D44+breakdown+a.JPG

D44+breakdown+b.JPG

D44+OEM+Hub+Parts.JPG

Media Blasted!;
Media+Blasted_.JPG

5.13;
5_13.JPG

Master Instal Kit;
D44+and+h233b+Master+Install+Kits.JPG

5.13, ARB;
D44_+ARB_+5_13.JPG

ARB Test;
ARB+test.JPG

RCV;
RCV+CVJ44OS-WAG2P2+D44OS+Axxle+Set.JPG

Ruff Stuff D44 Cover;
Ruff+Stuff+D44+Cover.JPG

Built;
D44+Built+a.JPG

Last edited:

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
Wilwood+261-13270.jpg

MC+8.jpg

MC+11.jpg

This is a Wilwood Aluminum Tandem Chamber Master Cylinder with the Combination Proportioning Valve and Wilwood ten pound residual pressure valve. You can access the specs by clicking the links.

I went with this MC on Dave’s (http://bandit4x4.com/) recommendation. He has one in his truck and said he’d help install it (basically install it while I handed him tools).

It is a direct swap; take out the OEM MC, the pin part of the output rod length adjuster and ABS module. Bench bleed the Wilwood MC, bolt it to the brake booster with the OEM hardware, connect the fluid lines, connect the pressure valve, bleed the system.

This MC kit ain’t cheap but you get what you pay for, again, check the specs HERE. Considering that lack of specific info on others SAS brake setups on 1st Gen SAS’d trucks I could find, that I knew it would fit, that Dave was going to install it and that I would learn how to do something it was kinda a no brainer.

OEM out, residual pressure valve installed.

MC+12.jpg

MC installed;

MC+13.jpg

Bleeding a brake system is always a PITA even with speed bleeders but after a few times around we got it done.

The brakes felt spongy with the OEM MC even after the ABS delete but would stop the truck. I took it to the NEXTerra B2SR17 and they held fine on the trail. The system just didn’t instill any kind of confidence.

With the Wilwood installed I was able to stop the truck in about 30 feet from 30mph leaving a skid mark. On the drive back to Brooklyn the brakes felt stronger than the OEM system pre SAS. I’m happy, money and time well spent.

Thanks Dave!

Last edited:

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Wooooowwww that looks good. And Wilwood makes good shiat. I commend you on 1st gen brake upgrades. There's opportunities out there but it takes some leg work.

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys.

One of the cool things I did not mention with this new MC is that it is a “Tandem Chamber Master Cylinder”. This means if I rip a rear brake line (happened to me once at Rausch, wasn't in any danger, just scary) I’ll still have the front brakes to stop the truck…get a leak in a front line, I’ll still have the rear. It wouldn’t be good for driving home but at least I won’t be rolling off some cliff or anything.

Kinda cool.

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
Leo helped me (did all the work while handed him tools and ate the freshly baked Empanadas his Grandmother made us) install my NOCO IGD140HP Battery Isolator yesterday!

NOCO+IGD140HP.jpg

NOCO+IGD140HP+2.jpg

It fit nicely in the spot previously occupied by my ABS unit.

Leo is an artist with electronics. Thank you my brother!

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
...Did you do anything to remove the old wiring from the abs unit?

Not really. Unplugged it, filled the plug with dielectric grease, wrapped it with tape and zip-tied it to the closest bracket out of the way. ABS light is lit but it does not brother me.

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
Seems like a lot of work for a light that doesn't brother me much. If I ever need to get into the dash for something more important I'll get it.

Cptpackrat

Bumpers Installed
By chance, do you have a flat ground pic of your rig after the SAS?

Im really trying to see where the height is gonna sit as I am trying to work out a few ideas

Bklyn.X

Skid Plates
Supporting Member
Founding Member
Ha! I do not. I never realized.
I just put the truck in my driveway (not level), as soon as I put it back on the street I'll snap a pic.

Is there a certain angle you want? Do you want any measurements?