The story of a long forgotten 528i and me.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Hello there. This is where my tale begins. Care to join me? I don't bite. A friend of mine, whom I do most of my automotive tomfoolery called me one day and asked if I savvy'd a hunt in a pasture or three for a few Isettas and some random nonsense. I told him I savvy'd just fine and away we went. I just so happened it was a fairly dreary day, but when we arrived, all that changed. In his pasture, two football fields from the road was a field full of cars and the making of a home made castle/barn, but that's a story for another day. He had plenty of cool stuff however, and I enjoyed looking at it all.

IMG_9870-vi.jpg

IMG_9876-vi.jpg

IMG_9854-vi.jpg

I think you get the point. The gentleman has a lot of cool project cars floating around, but none he really wanted to get rid of. He mentions off handledly that he has a "new" BMW that needs a new home, as he can no longer work the clutch comfortably. Im of course interested, and he walks us around the side of his barn, and out back. There I find her. Looking lost and forelorn.

13-vi.jpg

Well hello there pretty. How are you? The gentleman explained that he had the car for quite sometime, but quit driving it years ago when his advanced age and bad hips made it no longer comfortable. Being a sucker for cheap random cars that catch my fancy, and being an admitted fan of BMWs for years, I inquired further, and he let me take a look.

14-vi.jpg

15-vi.jpg

1-vi.jpg

In all fairness he admitted that while it was "running when parked" he had been unable to start it last time he tried and observed several chewed wires. Fairly disheartening but I'm kinda handy and this aint my first "old car in a pasture" rodeo. So we make a deal, with him offering it to me very very cheaply, and offering me to use his barn to fiddle with the wiring first, and if I couldn't get it to start, offering a full refund. What do I have to lose? So I made arrangements to return on the weekend when the weather was nicer to work on it.

Last edited:

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Welcome back! When we last left our intrepid explorer, he was purchasing a (possibly) money pit of a BMW on a whim, and for no reason! Lets catch back up to him now, working in the daylight.

44-vi.jpg

59-vi.jpg

Pretty quickly I notice a buncho wiring chewed. So out comes the handy soldering iron and away I go.

23-vi.jpg

22-vi.jpg

30-vi.jpg

31-vi.jpg

36-vi.jpg

I think you get the point. At the end of a couple hours of chasing wires, soldering, and repeating, I finally ran out of wires to fix. During this time the elderly man told me a story about every single one of his cars, and It was a grand time. I hope im as awesome as this guy when im in my mid 70's. So with no more wires to fix, it was time to test her out. I anxiously put the key in and when i turned it the dash lit right up! Pushed in the clutch, and BOOM she fired right off! She idled rough at first and smoothed out quickly, considering the gas is probably still old. Im honestly not sure who was more happy, me or the man. He laughed and clapped like a kid a Christmas.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
VIN
WBADD532XVBV51643

Type code
DD53

Type
528I (USA)

E series
E39

Series

Type
LIM

Steering
LL

Doors

Engine
M52

Displacement

Power

Drive
HECK

Transmission
MECH

Colour
CANYONROT METALLIC (343)

Upholstery
STANDARDLEDER/BEIGE E36 SANDBEIGE E (N6SN)

Prod.date
1996-11-25

Vehicle options​

S248 Steering wheel heater

S292 BMW light alloy wheel, cross spoke 29

S403 Glass roof, electrical

S459 Seat adjuster, electric, with memory

S465 Through-loading system

S494 Seat heating driver/passenger

S640 Preparation f tel.installation universal

S677 HiFi System Professional DSP

S694 Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer

S773 Fine wood trim

S818 Battery master switch

S925 Dummy-SALAPA

Vehicle options​

S26 Side airbag for driver/passenger

S302 Alarm system

S354 Green windscreen, green shade band

S411 Window lifts,electric,front/rear

S423 Floor mats, velours

S441 Smoker package

S473 Armrest front

S520 Fog lights

S534 Automatic air conditioning

S540 Cruise control

S550 On-board computer

S645 BMW US Radio

S850 Dummy-SALAPA

S853Language version English

S961 SPECIAL MOTOR

Vehicle options​
S992 Control of number-plate attachment

Last edited:

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
So with the car running, the display lights up and i can see how many miles she has for the first time. Seems like a whole lot, but I dont know much about these cars. Should I be concerned?

20-vi.jpg

Its still much too marshy for me to get my truck and trailer into his pasture to get the car out completely, so I backed it back into the sun, letting the car move under its own power for the first time in several years. I think I heard a family of pissed off displaced mice run away, but I care not for them!

60-vi.jpg

While running, I noticed the check engine light didnt go off, so I got my bluetooth code reader from the truck and plugged it in. This is what I got. Im not sure what might be more chewed wires and what might be real issues. Feel free to weigh in on anything you like, with suggestions, kudos or comments. I literally have never owned a BMW and anything I know Ill be reading and researching trying to get up to speed. I already love this thing and i have driven three feet.

47-vi.jpg

Ill be taking actual possession of the car Tomorrow, and I have honestly learned a ton already. I see that people worry about these being reliable, but this doesnt have to be my daily driver so I can go through it as slow as i want. Well until next time Constant Reader, I'm off to the belly of the internet to do some research.

37-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Nice find!

I'd dig deeper into the wiring of those codes first before trying anything else.

Sent from the 5th circle via directionally confused otters

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Went to pick up the BMW today. Remember how I told you the elderly gentleman was building a castle? Yeah. He may never get it done, but damn if he isnt more motivated than I would be. Several hours a day he plugs away at it. So for no reason, I climbed up in one tower for a pic. Of course I ended up having to help him carry some plywood up top, but when else can you say you participated in making a plywood castle? Never. Thats when.
73-vi.jpg

IMG_1152-vi.jpg

IMG_1153-vi.jpg

IMG_1154-vi.jpg

So since I didnt have to go far, I decided to drive. What better way to test out an old pasture car than drive 16 miles to your stop, with a stop for wash and tacos? Oh, and on bad tires to boot.

46-vi.jpg

63-vi.jpg

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
62-vi.jpg

67-vi.jpg

This thing is literally FULL of old half eaten pecans and rat crap. So gross.

66-vi.jpg

But this color is gorgeous IMO.

64-vi.jpg

Leaving the car wash, she ran fine at first, then started bucking and stalling at stop lights. I cant find anything other than this broken hose I havent yet identified.

71-vi.jpg

But after a short jaunt down the access road, it stopped doing that. Dunno yet. But I got it cleaner and I got it inside so I can start working on it!

(Its still crazy filthy tho)

mantree

Wheeling
Thay hose is conected to vacume somewhere so I'd say you suck water in, not enough to damage anything but enough to make it run rough for a bit.

Edit if I had to guess I'd say emitions or evap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dixie1865

Bought an X
Regarding the mileage...
I have a relative who was a BMW Master Mechanic (youngest in the company history at the time -Good ol' boy from Georgia and they sent him to Germany and then they would randomly send him all over to work with the company race teams). He always told me the high end German cars are far more durable than anything on the road. The issue is the tolerances the engineers use are so tight the cars get out of spec easily and have to be brought in for service which can get costly. He stated American and Japanese manufacturers will spec hundredths or thousandths, German cars are thousandths or ten thousandths respectively.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a beautiful car. Good luck and have fun with it.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Spraying water under the hood can cause any number of shorts when the wiring is in its current shape, brave move lol

Yeah, I totally get that, and I did have some issues at first, but I couldnt put it in the shop with that amount of rat sh*t and pecans in it. It was a gamble I had to take. Hahahaha

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Regarding the mileage...
I have a relative who was a BMW Master Mechanic (youngest in the company history at the time -Good ol' boy from Georgia and they sent him to Germany and then they would randomly send him all over to work with the company race teams). He always told me the high end German cars are far more durable than anything on the road. The issue is the tolerances the engineers use are so tight the cars get out of spec easily and have to be brought in for service which can get costly. He stated American and Japanese manufacturers will spec hundredths or thousandths, German cars are thousandths or ten thousandths respectively.

Sounds like you got a great deal on a beautiful car. Good luck and have fun with it.

I guess thats good and bad. Hahaha Funny thing is, even with all these miles, the fit and finish of the car is still far better than lower mileage american cars of my friends. The leather isnt even as destroyed as I thought it would be. And thanks! I think its gorgeous too!

mantree

Wheeling
I guess thats good and bad. Hahaha Funny thing is, even with all these miles, the fit and finish of the car is still far better than lower mileage american cars of my friends. The leather isnt even as destroyed as I thought it would be. And thanks! I think its gorgeous too!
My wife just gave up her VW with almost 300k becaus she has to be at work before the plows are out so she bought a suv. That said other than dome minor issues it runs fantastic

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Okay, I have four codes (p0355, p0116, p1189 and p1188) that I am working on. Part of my immediate problem was the Air Pump Hose had a huge hole in it and i was missing the vacuum line from the electric air valve that goes from the air check valve and to the intake. I replaced the air pump hose and the vacuum line/check valve and changed the oil. Thats it so far.

I replaced the check valve just like i found the one on the car, white side towards the electric valve (if that makes sense). I did find the line/valve laying underneath, dangling. Guess the mice chewed it off, dunno.

18-vi.jpg

Literally all I did. Went for a very short drive. Idled much better. But as soon as I got back and stopped moving, I noticed:

17-vi.jpg

Which is weird because I didn't have the AC on or anything and I previously drove it here with no issue. I hit the AC button (while sitting still) and the car shuddered hard and started to boil white smoke from near where the AC compressor is (also the air pump is down there I guess?) and I shut the car off.

Surely nothing I did, including possibly installing the check valve the wrong way would have caused me to over heat and/or have some other issues, would it?

Gratuitous pic of my car. I love this thing, but I am very BMW stupid. Ive googled and searched everywhere but I'm having no luck at all. Apparently BMW people are not nearly as hands on as I like to be. Frustrating, so back to the jackstands it goes. I have managed to learn pretty quickly that if you lock your keys in this trunk, there is no way to get them out. None. EXCEPT, if your car was ordered with a ski hole. Thats what its called. After googling (my trunk struts failed and closed my keys inside. Interior trunk release didnt work.) i found that a ski hole is a hole behind the center arm rest in the back seat. So l lower the arm rest, pull away the fabric, and sure enough, there is a collapsible bag behind a plate. I remove the plastic plate, extend the bag (reaches up between the driver and passenger to allow you to haul wet skis) unzip the bag and reach in the trunk for my keys. So weird. So I replaced the rear trunk struts as well.

16-vi.jpg

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
So since we last visited our intrepid explorer and his BMW, it was on jackstands and barely running. Since that point, I replaced all the vacuum lines, air pump lines and some last minute wiring. Needing it to be closer than my shop is from my house, I decide to roll dirty for about 30 miles to get home and see how she does. Out of the shop and on the road.
1.jpg

3.jpg

Once home, I decide to wash the filth and shop grossness off.

6.jpg

I also just like washing my cars. Sue me. So the tires are bad, all the way around. I dont want to spent the $950 for the Z rated ones I need right now, just in case I cant bring this all the way back alive. So I watched craigslist, and in Dallas at a tire shop that spoke no english, scored a set in the right size, brand new for $300. 245/40/18 front and 275/35/18 rear.

8.jpg

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
So the next morning, I run over and have them mounted up! I run the codes again, and rebuilding the vacuum system has cleared all but one. Ill deal with that later. AC isnt working however, and I dont like that at all.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Apparently, took all three to mount those really wide rears.

19.jpg

But she looks good, even on jacks at a shady tire dealership. Although these really are my favorite tire shops. Working for cash and friendly as hell.

20.jpg

Backs were BAD AF.

17.jpg

Looks like an alignment is in my near near future.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
So I have been driving it around town, slowly repairing little things that fail. Took a drive friday before last. Windows down and it felt great! Superflous picture for no reason. 13.jpg

I love the interior of this thing at night time.

10.jpg

And when I got home, neither rear window would roll up. Apparently both regulators failed at the exact same time with a big loud CRUNCH. Yay.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Just in case you were curious, if you have to replace the rear regulators on one of these you have to completely gut the doors. These were a big ass pain in the big ass. Apparently these are a crazy weak point and they fail all the time. Good thing im a pro.

21.jpg

Guess thats bad.

14.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Two $80 regulators (without motors) later, im in business. Now for suspension repairs.

25.jpg

Still think this color is gorgeous.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Im at a crossroads with it and would like some advice. Needs front end work (tie rods) and an alignment. Not a big deal. Needs a clutch. Thats pretty far out of my ability (have to drop the whole exhaust and some cross members, etc. Bimmer shop wants $1560 for the clutch (includes a new flywheel) as apparently this car has 198k on the OG clutch. So all in it needs up to $2400 in work. The value of the car isnt that, or not much more than that. (2400 = clutch, front end work, alignment) I can probably do the tie rods, but its only a small part of it, and I would have to go get the car, bring it home, fix it then take it back for the alignment and clutch anyway.

So trying to decide if I dump that kinda money into a project I dont know much else about. Thoughts?

KW77O1p.jpg

3jrz0NR.jpg

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
You have other vehicles and while this was a fun adventure, I recommend you cut your losses, get what you can for it and move on. Putting more money than it's worth just to keep driving it doesn't make sense as it's just a toy.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Thats exactly what my thoughts are at this point. I have one other guy to get a quote on for the clutch (Uncle of a friend) and if its still not an affordable thing, I'm going to let it go.

Thanks for replying.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Bimmer shop did say the motor and trans were very solid, just that I ended up with the wear items that need replacing as part of routine maintenance. Im still in it pretty cheaply at this point.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Guess I'll post some updates, for no reason!

So remember we had some days where the weather was in the teens? Do you remember? Pepperidge farm remembers. So in what would prove to be a learning moment for me, I decide on a whim that what this colder weather required was: More Bourbon, and Burritos. I obtained the Bourbon, nabbed the burritos, and when I returned to my gleaming chariot awaiting by the curb, I learned one thing, quickly. BMW door handles dont like cold weather.

In case you are curious, it is okay to cry when you are holding a rare colored, body color matched door handle in your hand, its 16 degrees outside, your bourbon is locked inside and your burrito outside is cooling rapidly.

0Coypet.jpg

mElfiJg.jpg

You know how when you go places, you like to park where you can see your car? Well I had. Right out front of the big plate glass windows. Was pretty proud of my self. So now my proud self got to open the back drivers door (gently now, gently) and reach waaaaaaaaaaaaay up and open the drivers door, then played it off like i was reaching for my wallet, not sneaking into my own car. Who cares. Still looks good, and now smells of dated high quality leathers, burritos and determination.

The next morning I ordered the part of eBay. Score!

kCPzjVj.jpg

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Warm weather weekend means replacing door handles on a BMW. Learn something every day! Door panel off, switches out, trim pieces off.

FQmtdvY.jpg

From there you get a punch, a long screwdriver and a pic to reach in and release a little arm that holds the door handle to the actual body of the door, through an opening in the side of the door about the size of an oval'd quarter. Its times like this I wish I had much smaller hands.

EReDcrh.jpg

Once out, its just as simple as disassembling the broken one from the carrier, and putting the new one on. Re-Assembly was actually easier, because I didnt have to spend forever fumbling around trying tto find the release.

5CsWm4o.jpg

q4efEER.jpg

Guess I better learn to be careful. She's pretty sexy for a pasture car tho.

4RPoj8e.jpg

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
I bought it April 1st as an April fools day gift to myself, because everyone called me a fool for buying it, so that means I've had this car a year already! Took mom to dinner back in February, per our Wednesday night normal (picture is in her driveway) and driving five miles to the Chinese food buffet and back, she (BMW, not mom) started to overheat. It had always moved the needle some when idle, but this was pretty drastic. So she was offline until I could diagnose the issue. First up is a coolant flush. BMWs use blue coolant and mine is a sh*tty green. I've known this was coming because BMW cooling systems are weak. I decided to pay the coolant flush and bleeding done (have a discount coupon for a local indy BMW tech) and see what happens after that. I think the aux fan isnt coming on, because at speed I have no issues, but stopping or slowing I do.

joN8QaM.jpg

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
e39 have intermittent cooling issues. Nothing to the point of overheating, but irritating. Knowing that it was full of cruddy green coolant instead of clean blue BMW coolant, I took it to the indy shop for a coolant flush because I had a coupon and I didnt wanna deal with bleeding the system down. For $89, you do it.

PL1XjWB.jpg

I get an email from the guy three days later. Radiator has a leak, Aux fan has a short, isnt working, and to replace it, the front bumper has to be removed and replaced. Oh. Well sh*t, wasnt expecting that, cant be too bad, how much?

$1365

Yeah, I'll come get it. I can replace a radiator pretty easily, and the aux fan might be another rat wire issue. So, the BMW is down while I price parts. Does look good sitting with the newer models out front however.

SKNqW2J.jpg

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
So I ordered parts.

BMW Radiator Hose Lower - Rein 11531740481
BMW Radiator Hose Upper (E39) - Rein 11531740832
BMW Radiator (E38 E39)- Nissens 17111702969
BMW Thermostat (92C) - Borg Warner / Wahler (OEM) 11537511083
BMW Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing (528i) - Febi 11531740478
BMW Cooling Fan Shroud (E39) - Genuine BMW 17101438457

Copy and paste. All on the way, under $250 shipped. Ill inspect the Aux fan, I bet its rat damage. If not, a new one is $165 shipped vs their $575 to replace. And I enjoy fixing my own cars.

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
987cced6396448608f9c8a7d3cf15993.jpg

Brought her sexy overheating ass home (pic was a few weeks ago). Disassembly to begin. I got the BMW in my garage at home. I dont have much room in that garage so me and this big b*tch gotta get close.

qctVjXu.jpg

Once all my parts came in from FCP Euro, I started tearing it apart. One of the things I bought that wasn't on my $1365 quote from the indy guy was a new fan shroud. Mine was jacked up. And fiberglassy, and let me know how much it hated me by embedding itself in my arms every chance it got. Its day had come.

oF8h2UL.jpg

gbUJFnz.jpg

The shroud was absolutely beat. And since you have to remove the fan to get it off, and the fan would prove to be a huge PITA to remove, I was glad this was broken a little, so i could break it more to ease in getting the fan off. Because this big ass 32mm nut did not wanna come off for anything. I spent hours trying to brace it so i could spin it off. Its a reverse thread, so it was slightly akward, but it just WOULD NOT MOVE. Several hours over several days. All the tools, all the methods. Finally, I leaned on it and it came loose. this cars gonna kill me.

ciTY6rI.jpg

As soon as it spun loose I was able to remove this busted ass fiberglass piece of crap.

Z7oouvv.jpg

Wondering if this is still good, but since I didnt order one, I dont plan on replacing it. [announcers voice]HE WOULD REGRET THIS SLIGHT OVERSIGHT.[/announcers voice]

v2zLeam.jpg

Well behind the fan shroud I found the remains of a once mighty mouse kingdom, complete with poop, shells, poop, leaves, something that looked like poop and shells. All fell out onto my floor, and me, since I was underneath it when I popped it loose. Yay. If I ever come down with a mysterious disease, remind my doctors I play in mousey flavored cars.

qYQrQtU.jpg

3adN0q8.jpg

uTsmuhV.jpg

ENCrhYt.jpg

ENCrhYt.jpg

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
After the removal of the fan, it was pretty easy. The radiator was a slight pain, because it didn’t really drain, and when I pulled it out, flipped it over to pour the coolant out, coolant and chunks came out. Yay me. Also, I replaced the thermostat and housing. The housing on the car was metal, the replacement I ordered (as per my quote, indicating I needed one) was plastic. Instead of using the plastic, I cleaned the metal one up, put the new seal on it and put it back on.

sySHBJ6.jpg

EdgbIaB.jpg

So, new hoses, new thermostat, new fan shroud, new radiator. This shroud is niiiiice. And it doesn’t bite!

z6zRTVK.jpg

Biggest pain in the ass above all (except maybe getting the fan off initially. MAYBE) was this little stupid hose across the top of the radiator. You can't see it when the shroud goes on, and you have to connect it to the over flow, but it also won't allow the shroud to seat if the hose clamp is the wrong way, AND you have to squeeze your Shrek fingers into a tiny little spot to hook it on the nipple of the overflow canister. Yeah, It was slightly frustrating.

LOykC5x.jpg

But I did get it all reassembled.

Yf79I6c.jpg

At that point I went to fill it up with water, so I could try and test the aux fan they claimed was bad. It was also at this point I started having serious doubts about the function of my fan clutch as well. Problem was, this lil bastard was corroded in TIGHT.

DVTQW3M.jpg

I had to borrow some magical tools (big wide ass screwdriver) from my buddy, and soak it in PB Blaster so I could get it loose. Pretty sure none of these things have ever been removed. Once out, I bled the system down, and fired it up. Ran great. Learned two things, fan clutch was bad (rolled up paper stops it at all temps), so I regretted not replacing it the first time. Second, the aux fan works fine. I found a schematic online, made a jumper wire, bridged the wires to the fan, and it howled off like a damn air raid siren. That made me believe the switch (located in the new radiator, but brought over from the old system) was bad, as its what controls the fan coming on. Time for another order.

Last edited:

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
Two weeks later, parts arrived. New switch, new fan clutch, actual coolant. Throw a little distilled water in and Im good to go. Time to disassemble again, drain and rebleed. Much easier (quicker) this time since I've done this several times.

k7qbztB.jpg

q69mcNg.jpg

RihpUW0.jpg

I drained the system (bottom hose, radiator drain plug) the original coolant was a jacked up crusty green color. This time it’s a light light green because of the water. So I decide on a whim to drain the block as well. So I google around till I find it. Then I go actually find it on the car. Yeah, no. See it up there circled in red? Not the freeze plug.

rtc7SOc.jpg

wjepHiC.jpg

Right behind the O2 sensor. Basically you have to pull the O2 sensor, then plug the hole, and then put some sort of scoop/ramp up there to keep the fluid from soaking everything. Not gonna do it. I have 80% of the coolant out already, and I can barely barely get my hand up in there. That’s Hand. Not plural. One. Confucius say any job under BMW done one handed and in the dark will suck the balls. And this would. So pass. I drain the radiator and the system again. Installing the new fan clutch is easy.

m3q4ML1.jpg

bgQkVHD.jpg

pY8kaP6.jpg

Reassembled, I refilled the system with BMW coolant (concentrate) and distilled water as prescribed. Bled the system, ran it, bled again. About that time, buddy asked if I wanted to have a beer at hooters, so for the first time in several months, I ran the Bimmer down the road. Only five miles, no visible issues.

NJ9NkgW.jpg

aul7wWe.jpg

Next morning, I ran a little further, 15 miles to Richardson to have the drivers window re-tinted. Found the lower hose was leaking when she peed some coolant on my buddies garage floor. After that, Fuddruckers! Still no overheating.

zCSYZLw.jpg

8ruZI4l.jpg

Today I put her on the long road, and drove to work. I think the worst is past!

iy3P77F.jpg

Current issues:
-balance front wheels; shakes at speed
-see why passenger front wheel leaks
-headlight shakes

kirk

Butterfly King
Supporting Member
So this guy on FB posted (on a BMW page) about how his wagon had been hit and the insurance was totaling it. Of course everyone was crying around about totaling out a "rare" manual transmission wagon for what appeared to be minimal damage. I mean the comments went on and on and on.

p0B6P9Y.jpg

GtwG3sT.jpg

About the time I got real real bored with it, I took a closer look at his interior picture. Oh hello, whats this?

HHiFsMn.jpg

It appears to be a highly sought after, top shelf aftermarket radio made for the e39, and one of only a bare few that work with my audio system. Why you ask? Gather around children, Uncle Kirker gonna learn you today. Certain model BMW vehicles were equipped with what is known as Digital Sound Processing (DSP). BMW sometimes refers to this as "premium sound", but what it really is, is a self contained, powered audio system that (for lack of a better word) has a symbiotic relationship on all the other parts.

Want a new head unit in your DSP equipped car? Cool. You can't have that. Why cant I? Because BMW. You see the head unit in a DSP car isnt really anything but a controller. All the brains and power and hardware are linked in the trunk. So an aftermarket radio doesn't have the wherewithal or brain power to boss your BMW audio around. Kirk, are you saying that 90's BMW audio technology is better that whats available new? No. I'm saying its like that thing when you have twins that have their own language, and they are babbling all hurky durky and you walk up all "jibba jabba". They don't know you, and don't want to talk to you, and you don't know their magic language so get out, and do it mas rapido.

That's basically BMW DSP. A crazy set of twins with their own language. So you have two choices. Kill the twins and adopt new ones, by throwing away your speakers, radio and all wiring, and then rewiring your car for that $72 JVC head unit and 1/2 price speakers you got at the swapmeet. Two. Keep your twins and buy buy a radio that talks the language of DSP. If you go that route, you have two options. One, is a Chinese knock off made with crap parts and has no support whatsoever. Might work, might not. Remember the last time you bought Xanax from your street dealer, and hoped they really were Xanax, and not just their mammas swiped water pills, but deep down you didn't know. Thats the Chinese version. The legit go to the doctor version of your pill habit comes in the form of the Dynavin N6/N7. The Dynavin speaks your freaky twin language, wont sell you sheetrock instead of crack cocaine, runs on Unicorn feathers, children's giggles and first kisses. Its everything right in the world. It also comes with a hefty $700 price tag, but is made in the USA and comes with a lifetime of tech support and updates. Isn't that type of peace of mind worth a little?

https://www.jandtdistributing.com/c...or-bmw-5-series-1996-2003?variant=43910369037

But there it was. Staring at me, and woefully over looked. With nothing to lose, and a deep desire to know pure bliss, I sent him a message. He responded quickly saying that everyone on his thread were assholes for berating him over his car, and that yes it was a Dynavin, and yes he would sell it. Commiserating with him over the loss of his beloved steed, while also trying to cannibalize parts of it on the low key, I ask how much. He asked which car I had, so I sent him my most glorious photo, webbing a tale of struggle and pasture survival, constructed from posts here you have already read. F*ck those guys buddy, its me and you against the world. He offered me the radio (a mere 6months old and professionally installed) for less than half, shipped. I paypal'd him faster than nine drunken bridesmaids in a bar can off key belt out they are just just small town girls, livin' in lonely worlds, and that they took midnight trains goin' anywhere.