2002+ front end/hood swap to 2000?

qu1cks1lver56

Bought an X
I got in a wreck yesterday and I now need a bumper, grille, and new drivers fender. The wreck was my fault and I don't have full coverage so it's on me to fix my X. I went and got a fender today from a u pull it but their only Xterra didn't have a bumper or grille. I just found a parts truck on Craigslist cheap but it's the 02+ front end. Anyone know if the headlights, bumper, grille, and hood will all bolt up on my 2000? Thanks in advance.

KChurch86

Banned
Founding Member
I assume (and hope) you're alright.

It won't be a direct bolt-up, no.

The fenders and hood are different on '02-'04, they have a cutout for the headlights that is different from '00-'01.

Unless you feel like swapping the headlights and the panel that the headlights mount into (I can't think of a better name for it, it might actually be part of the upper radiator support) as well as both fenders, the hood, grille, bumper and bumper cover. It's doable, and somebody whom I can't recall DID do the complete swap, but for what you're looking to do I don't think that's the route you want to go.

StupidFish

Need Bigger Tires
The fenders are not different. They work for 00-04. The only thing you'll have to do to get the 02 grille and hood to work is change the clips on the front. May have to do some drilling or minor fab but its doable.

KChurch86

Banned
Founding Member
The fenders are not different. They work for 00-04. The only thing you'll have to do to get the 02 grille and hood to work is change the clips on the front. May have to do some drilling or minor fab but its doable.
Really? I swore the fenders and sheet metal behind the grille was different because of the different headlights

KChurch86

Banned
Founding Member

Really? I swore the fenders and sheet metal behind the grille was different because of the different headlights
Courtesy Parts confirms that yes, the fenders are the same from 2000-2004. The lower tie bar (lower radiator support) is also the same.

However, it also says that the radiator support side panels (where the headlights mount) and the upper tie bar (upper radiator support) are not the same. The same goes for the lock support (the vertical piece that connects the upper and lower supports).

StupidFish

Need Bigger Tires
Yea. Those i can't vouch for. Im sure you can make it work tho. Either way, sounds like it's time for someone to get a real bumper....

qu1cks1lver56

Bought an X
Jeez, was really hoping it'd just be a hood, lights, bumper, and grille swap. Although the outside part of the core support where the drivers headlight mounts is bent a little, I think I can get it to straighten out. And yeah, I'd much rather get a nice, real bumper, but I can't afford that at the moment.

And yes I'm fine, neither of us were going over 15mph. Stupid mistake I made while not paying enough attention, somehow didn't see the guy and turned into him.

6331ee8497de3c6139a26b979734b351.jpg

cpalka9

Bought an X
I believe there is a 1 gen in a yard near I can snag the bumper ad grill from. I'll be up your way at the end of this month if you would still need it.

qu1cks1lver56

Bought an X
I appreciate the offer but I ended up finding a grille, bumper, and fender in a local yard. Everything but the fender is painted and ready to go back on the truck. Got the fender rail straightened today and got it realigned today. Also found out I need tie rod ends and wheel bearings.

cpalka9

Bought an X
No problem, glad you got it figured out. Tie rod ends and wheel bearings aren't terribly expensive and they are fairly easy to do.

qu1cks1lver56

Bought an X
I'm not worried about doing the TREs, but I've never done bearings so that'll be an experience. And hopefully I can get the TREs on and not mess up the alignment I just paid for

cpalka9

Bought an X
Most tire places have at least a 6 month warranty on their alignment services to where they will check the alignment and do it free of charge. Just don't tell them that you replaced any parts as it may void any warranty. As for the bearings, just make sure you get the bearings, races, and seals. Here is a link I've found that should help http://www.rkrenn.com/xterra/howto/bearing/bearing.htm