Timing belt kit

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
That's the normal price for the kit. If you go on Amazon or eBay, you can find the "kit" for cheaper. It's not all genuine Nissan parts, but I saved over $100 by getting an Amazon kit and it's held up great so far.

harryron

The Grumpiest of Mid-Westerners
I got the one from rockauto.com for like $100 it was made by gates who also makes timing belts for honda.

KChurch86

Banned
Founding Member
IIRC, that price has gone up a bit from what I paid for mine. I want to say when I bought the kit from Courtesy, it was $260's-$280's?

EDIT: Nope, never mind. I just dug up the invoice, bought it 2 years ago and I paid $346.32. Not sure if that was before or after tax.

Last edited:

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Age/mileage; 10 years or 100K. It's a loose belt compared to most, and sometimes you can tell it's running a bit rough because it's slipped a tooth somewhere.
By the time you dig down to inspect it though, you might as well replace it.

cpalka9

Bought an X
Thanks. I'm sure I'm overdue for it then as my 03 is at 175k and I don't know if its ever been done. Out of curiosity, this would possibly clear up a very obnoxious whining sound from my engine am i right?

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Thanks. I'm sure I'm overdue for it then as my 03 is at 175k and I don't know if its ever been done. Out of curiosity, this would possibly clear up a very obnoxious whining sound from my engine am i right?

Throwing a hammer at your engine with the fury of Thor can possibly clear up a very obnoxious whining sound from your engine, too.

The likelihood that you're truck is at 173k without a new timing belt is very unlikely, but given that you're close enough to the 200k mark and the kit replaces all of the drive belts, I'd get the kit and do it since it has a good chance of fixing the whining.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Without hearing it, my guess would be a bearing. When you take apart your front end, spin each one. If it feels dirty, replace it.

As for if you should do a preemptive change... YES. Many people have made it beyond 100K on a belt, but you risk damaging a valve and cylinder by doing so. Mine went about that before a known change. Most shops will place a metal sticker on the upper radiator support saying when the belt was changed. If you don't see that, be in doubt if it was done.

cpalka9

Bought an X
Throwing a hammer at your engine with the fury of Thor can possibly clear up a very obnoxious whining sound from your engine, too.

Believe me I have definitely wanted to on more than one occasion, haha

The likelihood that you're truck is at 173k without a new timing belt is very unlikely, but given that you're close enough to the 200k mark and the kit replaces all of the drive belts, I'd get the kit and do it since it has a good chance of fixing the whining.

Without hearing it, my guess would be a bearing. When you take apart your front end, spin each one. If it feels dirty, replace it.

As for if you should do a preemptive change... YES. Many people have made it beyond 100K on a belt, but you risk damaging a valve and cylinder by doing so. Mine went about that before a known change. Most shops will place a metal sticker on the upper radiator support saying when the belt was changed. If you don't see that, be in doubt if it was done.

Thanks for the insight. I will probably go ahead and pull the trigger on this soon.

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Mine was at 130k-ish and I couldn't find any sticker under the hood saying the belt was replaced. Every indication pointed to it being replaced, as the maintenance history was very detailed. I went ahead and had it replaced anyways, and it turned out that it was replaced probably around the 100k mark, but was installed very poorly. I'm guessing it was a DIY job, hence the no sticker, but I'm glad it was done correctly and now I have it to go off.