Goodyear Duratracs vs Cooper discoverer STT vs Cooper discoverer S/T maxx?

02X-terra

Test Drive
I'm buying new tires soon and I was set on Duratracs but then these two tires came into play. I'm not sure which one to get and have read tons of good reviews for all three, does anyone have any good/bad things to say about them? Any opinion is appreciated!

samuel313

Test Drive
I've heard great things about all of them. I do know that the Cooper St/Maxx tires have a 3-ply ArmorTek sidewalls but aren't the lightest of the bunch. I'm planning on going with 255/85R16 tires, and the Coopers are made in that size. My plan is to go with the ST/Maxx's when the time comes.

Silver dude

Sliders
Founding Member
I've read about to many sidewall failures on the Duratrac to ever give them a chance. The St/Maxx is one hell of a good looking tire and some day when I have a rig that has modern wheels that will be what I get.

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
If you drive it like you stole it, the STTs wear out extremely fast. I have Duratracs in the 285/75/16 flavor and like'em. I had them on my Jeep before with no problems, so going back was easy. They are noisy though, but if you're like the few of us here who have them, you don't really care/notice.

xnjxterra

Loud and obnoxious
If you drive it like you stole it, the STTs wear out extremely fast. I have Duratracs in the 285/75/16 flavor and like'em. I had them on my Jeep before with no problems, so going back was easy. They are noisy though, but if you're like the few of us here who have them, you don't really care/notice.

I have same size duratracs and the only time ever notice any noise is when they’re wet. I always thought they were pretty quiet.

I don’t have any experience with the other tires but here’s why I got mine- great in the mud, I’m not going to be doing any rock crawling so hopefully the weaker sidewall is not an issue for me. We have 4 full seasons here, snow and ice, to rainy seasons, to dry and over 100 degrees. I wanted something that would be a good offroad tire, but also good in the snow and on slick icy roads since it’s my daily driver and so far the tire has met all my needs and I love them.

lbishop

Need Bigger Tires
I can't speak for the dur-tracts but I can for both of the coopers

Stts- great in the mud, not so much on the road. They wore quickly, I only got 35,000 out of my set. I rotated every 5 k. They were pretty quiet brand new but as they wear, they start singing. They are a little on the heavy side, because of the armor tech core. And mine were load range E. I loved the look of them though. If it's a dd rig, I personally would pass on them

St maxxs- I can't say enough good things about these. The cleats on the outside are the same as the stts. They have done awesome in the mud. I was worried the center wouldn't clean out because of the all terrain (st discoverer pattern) but it doesn't take much more throttle to clean out than the stts. Te stick pretty well to the rocks also. Wet pavement is no worry either. My stts were paddles when it would rain real bad. These sail on through. I have somewhere around 35 k on mine and they still look brand new. I would highly recommend these tires. Again though they are a little heavy because of the armor tech core. I'm running A 265/75/16 in load range e.

Mr Bills

Bought an X
I run Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx in LT265/75R16-E and highly recommend them. (This tire is a full 32" in diameter rather than the 31.6" typical of this size.)

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
I have the STT's on my Ram 1500, and they've been handy but are wearing quickly. It is my DD and I have tested it in the mud (great) and snow (average)