JI joey

RCMIKE

Test Drive
hello everyone I am new to this board but the Xterra bug has bit me. So much so I go to pick-a-part more than church....lol I found a first aid bag today for a 1$ great. I'm going to post up a couple of picture of Joey this year. And talk about what I want to do with this Truck. I've got weld on d rings that I just need to weld on the back bumper. I want to do a PML and possible body lift. I'm not planning to get crazy with it, but whats crazy? I would like to find a steel front bumper with a wench as I 4-wheel alone also.

Attachments

• 20140824_174223.jpg
    20140824_174223.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 20141122_153508 (1).jpg
    20141122_153508 (1).jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 65

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
I haven't updated this thread in awhile but I have been working on Joey. I will be posting pictures later on tonight. Let me give you and update. The 1.5 PML is complete, really simple job. I was concerned about using the stock jack to lower the rear spring to fit in the shackle but as it turns out this was very easy.

Currently the front axle is out of the truck and is at the shop getting a new auto locker! This job is also fairly easy with the right tools. Namely a torch to heat the bolts before loosing them. I tried to get the bolts loose without a Torch and it just was not happening. Also gobble I have never seen so much dried mud. It coated everything including the car port floor. I thing I didn't see mentioned is that if you drop the front cross-member, which I did, there are 4 little welds that need growned off. Easy enough if you know they are there.

Parts I have that are not on Joey yet:
2" body lift
ARB front bumper
Badlands wench 9,000 lbs, Harbor freight, I hope this fits the ARB bumper
Rims and tires, 20" rimes with 33/12.5/20 tires

I want to get this all completed by april 22. That's the great lakes xterra meet at the badlands in Attica IN. Like I said, I'll post pictures to night. If you guy's have and expert advise that will speed this build along I would appreciate it. Tips & tricks are always nice!

MichaelS75

Bought an X
Sounds like a good plan. Also I don't mean to tell you how to build your X but I will say if you plan on wheeling I'd stay away from a 20" rim on a 33" tire. A smaller diameter/width rim is ALWAYS gonna hold a bead better if aired down at all. Not to mention the ride is generally gonna be rougher with a much skinnier sidewall. This is why all the huge trucks have rubberband tires, may look cool, but will never ever work well off road.

Also just about everyone you'll talk to on here is running either a 15" or 16" rim for a reason. Occasionally you'll see a 17" rim but nothing bigger on a 1st gen X

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
I won't dis agree with you on the 20" rims. I just got a hell of a deal. 800 for the tires and rims. If after I get up and running and I don't like the ride I seel these and get some smaller rims.
ok a couple of pictures20160319_151504.jpg20160319_130727.jpg

MichaelS75

Bought an X
Have you done the intake mod yet? Still got your rear sway bar on? Also most people on here advocate for removing the flimsy side steps and mud flaps so you reduce the amount of crap that can get you hung up on rocks or in mud

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
Rear bar is removed, I'm going to cut the bunny bars off and remove the flaps. I've wheeled this truck stock since 13. Its been interesting to say the least. I wanted to see the engineering that Nissian put into it. Its been a great truck! its time I do something with it.

do you know if this winch will fit this bumper?20160322_170732.jpg20160322_175914.jpg20160322_175930.jpg

I very well end up with the 3" sup. lift. how do you like it? I'm wondering if the bumper and winch is going to be to heavy for the stock front. sup.

MichaelS75

Bought an X
Rear bar is removed, I'm going to cut the bunny bars off and remove the flaps. I've wheeled this truck stock since 13. Its been interesting to say the least. I wanted to see the engineering that Nissian put into it. Its been a great truck! its time I do something with it.

do you know if this winch will fit this bumper?View attachment 4000View attachment 4001View attachment 4002

I very well end up with the 3" sup. lift. how do you like it? I'm wondering if the bumper and winch is going to be to heavy for the stock front. sup.

ARB is going to have a generic winch plate and holes cut out that will match just about 99% of winches on sale these days. The suspension lift makes a world of difference offroad. Depending on the setup of your rear suspension you can gain a substantial amount of travel out of that axle. You'll only gain maybe 1-2" of travel with a new UCA but it's IFS so that's expected. You're definitely gonna want to think about upgrading your torsion bars with a heavy steel bumper.

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
Well crap! That was not on the list of things to do before April 22nd. I guess I will wheel it and then look at the sup. issues.

Last night I was under the X BP blasting the body bolts. Started wiggling the muffler and its shot. Guess I need a new one of though's also.

Why don't my pictures look like everyone else's? It seems that mine I have to click on but everyone else's are big and just show up. Does this make since?

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
I'm to the holy crap stage! I've been listing and reading too much on this forum :sure: I look at my X now and its, "I got a long way to go and a short time to get there".........enter music.

I was looking around at different threads today and seen a couple of people I know from the GLX meets. I hope their going to the badlands this spring. Look at my poor GI Joey.

O and thats the third time I've cleaned that mud up.:groggy: The good and the bad.

My crossmember it just about rusted thru, not good but for now I think some Rust Reformer, I love this stuff

Attachments

• 20160324_173033.jpg
    20160324_173033.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160324_173042.jpg
    20160324_173042.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 37
  • 20160324_173714.jpg
    20160324_173714.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 40
  • 20160324_173728.jpg
    20160324_173728.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 33

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Rite now would be the time to put in a new support for the rad. All that it really needs to be is a stick of square tube, or angle with the two spots that engage the rad, is all that it is. Real easy fix while you fave the bumper off, a lot harder once you put it back on.

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
My bumper needs a piece of 2" tube. Think that will work here also. steel or alum.? alum. the front is going to be heavy.....the bumper.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
If you need more help in the front you can always do aftermarket torsion bars with a higher spring rate. When you get a lot of steel up front, it makes a BIG difference.

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
I've been looking at the Calmini 3" sup. lift and I just may do that if I have wheel travel issue and/ or driving issues.

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
Is there anyone else making a sup lift for the first gen.'s The Calmini kit looks pretty good. It seems to have all the parts I would need.

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)

I think it would be between the 4x4 parts and Calmini. The Grooters kit does not come with the UCA but has shims instead. I'm pretty sure if I'm into it that far I would want to install UCA.

this weekend was a major step forward. The 2" BL is on! I also got the winch mounted in the ARB bumper. Which was not a easy job. It took me a couple of hours on the floor of my house to get the winch disassembled and then reassembled so it would fit correctly and I still had to cut the control handle out and re-drill 2 holes. But its a 300$ winch vers a warn.

I can't thank this forum enough! Everything I've done to my truck I've gotten the instructions from here and its been spot on. I had zero issues with the body lift, it took me right at 5 hours and we weren't in a hurry. Beer drinking and working. It was like all the sudden bam! We were done. I got a couple of pic.'s more to come. This thing is starting to look bad a**20160327_145816.jpg20160325_182829.jpg

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
Starting to look like it fits in, My axle guy called today and my locker is installed in the axle. Good to go I'll pick it up today at lunch.

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
I've got options tonight, Do I install the front axle (by the way 250$ for the locker install and all new seals) or do I work on getting the rear bumper back on. I think I'm going to take it easy tonight and play with the bumper.

Is anyone else running a lokka auto locker in the front? The transmission guy said it will be really loud, I hope not. I don't understand how it would be if the transfer case is in 2wd and I have auto locking hubs. The axle locker shouldn't turn at all,Right?

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
I've got options tonight, Do I install the front axle (by the way 250$ for the locker install and all new seals) or do I work on getting the rear bumper back on. I think I'm going to take it easy tonight and play with the bumper.

Is anyone else running a lokka auto locker in the front? The transmission guy said it will be really loud, I hope not. I don't understand how it would be if the transfer case is in 2wd and I have auto locking hubs. The axle locker shouldn't turn at all,Right?
Correct. When you're in 2wd the front axle will not turn at all. You won't even notice it's there.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
As long as you can get the front cover off you should be able to do the lokka in the driveway. The carrier doesn't need to come out.

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
$250 for install? How long did it take? The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a Lokka is the downtime to put it in

The shop had it for a week. The 250$ was with all new seals and a warranty. The warranty on the installation was worth the 250 IMO. I did remove the hole front axle I guess you might beable to do it in the truck but I had so much mud and dirt and crap up in there I don't know how I would have kept everything clean. I also had to replace the oil sending unit by the oil filter it was leaking all over the place.

I'm glad to hear that the Lokka isn't going to make a bunch of noise on the road, in 2wd.

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
This is just me being a newbe but I hope to get a little piece of mind. I'm really concerned about driving 400+ miles going 4wheeling and then breaking something. I hope that the parks have recommended mechanic's that would come out and fix whatever the issue was? Is this how it works or should I get some AAA and R&D shops in the local area's I plan on visiting. What do you guy's do?

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
99.9% of the time, if you break something, it's on you to fix it. Now thats where organized wheeling events come in. If you came to WENT or GONE, the two biggest Nissan events every year, you'll be with a large group of people. And if you don't know how to fix it yourself, chances are, someone in the group does.

That being said, you should always carry a basic tool kit when wheeling. Socket set, screwdrivers, hammer, wrenches. And also some trail spare parts. For a 1st gen a set of hubs, an idler arm, tie rod, and maybe a cv shaft. Those are the most common trail failures. You may be able to rely on the knowledge of others to help you fix it, but you should carry your own spare parts.

If something crazy happens, you might have to get a ride into town to go to an auto parts store and get what you need.

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
If it gets really sporty there are always a few welders both people and machines at every event. I always bring my ready welder for true trail fixes, and there are usually a couple more mig welders available.

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
Sounds like a trip to pick-a-part, Hubs, idler arm and cv shaft. I do want to go to WENT this year. That's in the fall right?

Joey

First Fill-Up (of many)
I guess I do have a LSD. I thought the rear on my X was open until I seen the LSD sticker on the rear diff cover. You don't hear people talk about how expensive fluids are but I'm here to tell you they are expensive. I have around 150$ in fluids. I do get to return 3 of them so that helps.

So, I was able to test drive yesterday and all went great. I do need an alignment and some exhaust work be nothing to major. I'm getting ready to fit my bumper anyone got any tips for getting it put on straight? Other than do it once and do it right! 20160403_161522.jpg20160403_164132.jpg20160403_175949.jpg20160403_155508.jpg20160403_133926.jpg