Sigh....repair bill....

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
So, the dealership finally found out the problem (after I told them a little white lie about needing to leave in 3 days for my next job even though the 30th is my last day). They said the alternator was shot, so that costs $500 to replace. Then they told me that something called a valve body wiring harness was MELTED because it came loose and was touching something apparently very hot, and then that caused the speed sensor to be destroyed or it was just destroyed because of something else.

So yea, the valve body wiring harness, the alternator, and the speed sensor needs replaced, all coming to a total of ta-da $1,200! You know, that wouldn't be such a big deal, but the REAL issue is, I've been paying for a car rental since the 9th! They said since the harness isn't a part that is usually damaged, they need to order it, and it'll come in on monday. So about 3 weeks total of car rentals. 3 weeks of $40 a day. THAT my friend, is what's causing me so much pain.

So I guess the trail DID do damage, but not actual rock damage or too many scratches or dents (which I don't care about lol). But it seemed to have wiggled something loose that did the damage. I'm happy they found it and I guess I only have 3 days left until I HOPE it's repaired. But not so that I have to pay for more days with this rental car....sigh....

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Do the alternator yourself. It's not that hard, and certainly not worth $500. The alternator itself will cost ~$100 and about an hour or two of your time.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
LOL

You really need to learn to wrench. :kewl:

An alternator is a 45 minute project typically...and you can get a used one from a 99 - 03 Quest that's a direct swap and 125 amps instead of 80 amps, all for WAAAAY less than $500.

Its POSSIBLE that off roading "wiggled" something, but, the truth is that things don't wiggle if tight, so, it was already loose typically anyway...and the damage was just in a matter of time.

I'm not visualizing a valve body harness hitting something hot and then damaging a speed sensor per se...but I'm not trying that hard right now, but, offhand, it sounds fishy.

Good Luck!

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
The problem is, I don't have internet (using gov't computer now so I can't use a computer to look at how to take apart things), I don't have someone to help me with it, I have very limited time, and I didn't know what the issue was until I took it to the dealership, and even though I have quite a few tools, I don't know what I need to use in order to get it loose and just looking under the hood gives me a headache LOL I'd be nice to be able to do things on me own, but hard when you don't have a lot of resources and help.

@TJTJ I know that was what I was thinking anyways. It was only a matter of time until that issue was to occur so at least it's going to get taken care of. Lol I don't remember if the speed sensor was related to the harness of not. I talked to them while I was closing down the gate where I work so I was focused on multiple things and was in a rush. It may not have had ANYTHING to do with it, I was just saying those three are the three things damaged....

Last edited:

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
The problem is, I don't have internet (using gov't computer now), I don't have someone to help me with it, I have very limited time, and I didn't know what the issue was until I took it to the dealership, and even though I have quite a few tools, I don't know what I need to use in order to get it loose and just looking under the hood gives me a headache LOL I'd be nice to be able to do things on me own, but hard when you don't have a lot of resources and help.

@TJTJ I know that was what I was thinking anyways. It was only a matter of time until that issue was to occur so at least it's going to get taken care of. Lol I don't remember if the speed sensor was related to the harness of not. I talked to them while I was closing down the gate where I work so I was focused on multiple things and was in a rush. It may not have had ANYTHING to do with it, I was just saying those three are the three things damaged....

Gotcha

:D

Time is money.....and, if you don't have the time to fix stuff, you pay money to those who do.

:D

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
Since Zion NP offered me the position and it's permanent, I accepted the job and I'll have my OWN apartment (it's a studio apt but it'll still be MINE :D) rather than gov't housing (uhg), and since I won't be moving every 6 months, I plan to start learning more about repair work and maybe take some mechanic college courses or something to get more experience and knowledge of how things work lol

But yea, if I felt comfortable doing something like that, I'd give it a try. Just not easy when you're on your own with limited resources.

Intender

Wheeling
Alternator is totally believable but I would ask to see the place qhere the harness melted. I cant think of a place where a harness could get close enough to anything hot enough to melt it. I would however believe that maybe something shorted out and melted the harness, but if thats the case the source of the short needs to be determined so this doesnt happen again.

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
Well the good thing is the Alternator has already been fixed and replaced so even though that cost me a pretty penny, it's still done. And the state my car was in, there was no way I could get it anywhere.