Need ONE SLR (1st Gen) UCA

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Due to mix up when my buddy moved (I had stuff stored at his place...), ONE SLR UCA is missing....the one I need to complete my 3" SL.

Any one have a spare UCA?

I have the passenger side, need the driver's side.

:D

Last edited:

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Best of luck to you, kind sir.

I haven't seen anybody selling SLR stuff in the last 5 years.

Also, how do you not have a full lift already?

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
You talking about a stocker?
(don't think so but checking because I have a pair)

Those are Calmini's yes?

Uhh.. nope. There was an elite fabricator that made lift components for the X, SLR (Spencer Low Racing), that has disappeared from the market.. His stuff is bad to the bone.

Good luck TJ, like Prime said, I don't see many of them coming up and around often.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Uhh.. nope. There was an elite fabricator that made lift components for the X, SLR (Spencer Low Racing), that has disappeared from the market.. His stuff is bad to the bone.

Good luck TJ, like Prime said, I don't see many of them coming up and around often.

I had the SLR 3" SL on the 2001.

The 2001 was recycled to a rock buggy on D60's, so all the SL stuff was removed....I was going to install the stuff from the 2001 onto the 2004 I recently acquired, but, time has been a real issue lately, and, its a slow (SLOOOOOOOW) process.

I had stored the stripped off 2001 stuff at a buddies shop (So my significant other/better half would STOP *****ing about "all the junk", etc...).

He is moving his shop and, he brought my "junk" back to me because he could not keep it all where he was going (Out of state).

I noticed I could not find ONE of the SLR UCA (HAVE ONE, need TWO), and, am hosed unless I go with a modified 3-point stance sort of suspension, etc...

Soooo, that's why I need ONE SLR UCA.

If someone had a pair, I would consider getting both, as I would understand them not wanting to get stuck with ONE (Either) etc.

If there was a front end wreck where only one side was damaged, etc...that would be an example of the perfect donor.

Plan B would be a set of 2 AC UCA, etc.

- Help?

:sure:

Nd4SpdSe

First Fill-Up (of many)
SLR still makes stuff. Steering and his UCA. I got my UCAs from him 2 and a half years ago I think it was. You just got to email him.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Soooooo does it matter which side?

LOL

Probably doesn't matter which magic unicorn I need, given its a magic unicorn...but, the one I have is for the passenger side IIRC, so I'd need one for the driver's side.

I actually don't remember if there IS a D vs P side UCA....but it would make some sense if there were, due to the cam bolts. etc....so, I'll go with that.

:D

KBC

Bought an X
I know on my AC ones there is only a pad for the bumpstop on one side so they are side specific.

rokdaddy

Wheeling
Founding Member
Heya TJ.

I'm pretty sure that the SLR UCA's are asymmetrical and it's not just the bump stop pad that's different. You will need to find a driver's side piece to complete your set. Here's a pic of my driver's side, you can probably see how the legs of the UCA are shaped differently and have different angles:

Hope you are able to get the new rig up to the glory of your old one, brother.

-Rok

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
LOL

Yeah, they're different....I did say which side I needed in the OP.

I will buy a used pair very soon though if a deal comes through today....solving the problem of needing two but having one, by having three and needing two.

:tunes:

A trail spare SLR UCA....you never know...I MIGHT need it some day....

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Most of that sort of thing is standard, and that's where the aftermarket guys typically sourced it from in the first place, a la Daystar, Energy Suspension, etc.

As soon as you find out what the original part # was for it, you can order it direct.

You can also simply measure the application and oder a bushing of the correct size, etc.

The hardness, etc, is where it can be a guess when you don't have the original # etc.

robcarync

Sliders
Dare I say something and offend people that love Spencer Lowe Racing...but is the stuff really that great? It is a serious question, since I have never used any of the products, but always hear people talk about the stuff like it is the holy grail of modifications if you can track it down.

I know I have seen a few things that were unique and Xterra specific for our issues (T-Bar anchors, idler arms, etc)...but the UCA looks pretty similar to the AC UCA...and even so, AC and Calimini are slightly different design, but identical function. They all seem pretty darn comparable.

Is there any reason at all to prefer a SLR UCA over AC or Cal? Or is it just a consistency thing that you already have one, so why not stick with what you got?

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Dare I say something and offend people that love Spencer Lowe Racing...but is the stuff really that great? It is a serious question, since I have never used any of the products, but always hear people talk about the stuff like it is the holy grail of modifications if you can track it down.

I know I have seen a few things that were unique and Xterra specific for our issues (T-Bar anchors, idler arms, etc)...but the UCA looks pretty similar to the AC UCA...and even so, AC and Calimini are slightly different design, but identical function. They all seem pretty darn comparable.

Is there any reason at all to prefer a SLR UCA over AC or Cal? Or is it just a consistency thing that you already have one, so why not stick with what you got?

As it said in the opening gambit, I HAVE ONE and so just getting one more would make it a set...so, that would be plan A.

Plan B was to go for a set of them or a set of AC UCA.

When I tested Calmini, SLR and AC waaay back in the dark reaches of X time...the SLR had the most droop, but the AC were for all intents and purposes about the same. The Calmini had more travel than OEM, but a little less than AC. Again, not a huge difference there either.

The SLR T-Bars (300M) were noticeably better than the SAW bars everyone else was selling under various private labels....as 300M is just really good stuff.

The SLR shackles were ordinary sturdy shackles but made with cross braces to be stronger than Calmini's two simple albeit thick plates, and 6" as Calnini's were. The Revolver Shackles from AC are far better than either of the other two shackle options for the others. AC's shackles seemed to have grown longer with time, and some measured 6", and some up to ~ 6 3/4" in length...not counting the adjustable options. AC's shackles are also cross braced and stronger than Calmini's.

Calmini's stuff was "powder coated" with something akin to those colorform stickers, that flaked off shortly after mounting the parts....SLR's stuff was powder coated with a hammer tone finish that actually was really tough. AC's finish was between those two in quality, but a lot closer to SLR's in that regard.

The Deaver 3-Pack AAL used by AC and SLR was the same pack IIRC...the 2-pack Calmini AAL was worse in that it rode stiffer and robbed more wheel travel.

AC and SLR used the same Bil shocks IIRC, for the 5100. Calmini offered some re-badged POS shocks that were too short to allow full droop, barely longer than stock, and were old fashioned twin tube garbage that rode terrible and wore out fast.

SLR's steering system was bullet proof, but, so expensive, you had to be under fire to consider it. Calmini's steering was very sensitive, and failure prone, and, if you had a problem, they did not take care of you, but the price was reasonable. I don't have experience with "An AC steering System" to compare with. I did have a Calmini system, and, mine was fine...unlike my assorted buddies who had bad luck with theirs.

SLR offered some suspension stuff (Armored t-bar anchors, etc...) that no one else had, the ball joints were better quality, etc.

So, overall, especially given the prices...I'd probably be getting AC today if starting from scratch...as SLR is not really available, and the 300M stuff went the way of the dinosaurs supply-wise, etc...and Calmini treated too many friends of mine like sheeet to do further business with them....and their stuff is generally inferior from what I've dealt with. To be fair, it does depend on where the bar is set, and I have had worse jeep stuff for example, and so forth.

Last edited:

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
SLR also made the best designed IAB (which TC then replicated/created)

I wouldn't say that they are the holy grail, but with a niche market of aftermarket parts, they are they cats pajamas.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
SLR also made the best designed IAB (which TC then replicated/created)

I wouldn't say that they are the holy grail, but with a niche market of aftermarket parts, they are they cats pajamas.

Well, with them essentially unavailable, that DOES explain all the cats sleeping naked I've been seeing.