lift 2000 2wd

New to this site but a couple facebook sites sent me this way. My question is how to go about lifting a 2000 2wd around 2-3". All I can find is 4wd kits but in my experience vehicles with the tortion bar set up in the front, the 4wd kits usually work on elm. Just don't want to spend the $$$ only to find out if it'll work, figured this might be the place to get some inside info...

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Calmini makes a 2wd UCA, but you're playing with fire by ordering from them. I believe 4x4parts also makes a 2wd UCA as well.....throw in an AAL in the rear, and you have your 2-3" of lift.

DC xterra

Wheeling
look for a DIY body lift its a 2 inch lift, will cost you under $100. are you planning on wheeling the 2wd? or why do you need the lift

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Generally speaking, the 2WD and 4WD have identical suspension setups on the 1st gen truck. The only difference is the knuckle and the lack of a CV shaft....and a differential.....and a driveshaft....and a transfer case....heh..

But specifically from the frame out to the wheels, the knuckle and the CV are the difference. That being said, you should be able to use the same suspension lift that is available from Calmini or 4x4parts.

It can be a craps shoot ordering from Calmini, but I've always dealt with them by phone and have not been disappointed yet. I say "yet" because I fully expect to at some point.

The search button is your friend!

Let's not play that game. There are no stupid questions, and all of us that are here obviously have time to share our knowledge. Or we wouldn't be here. Not answering the question and pointing a new user to a "search button" doesn't really help answer their question.....or make them want to stay.

732a52cb_TheMoreYouKnow.gif

No heavy wheeling, I had a 2000 frontier bedore this and it'd go places most said it woukdnt, I'm not a big fan of body lifts in general so really wanna stay with suspension, and I got a set ogle 18" titan wheels with 31" tires I need to make a little room for :)

robcarync

Sliders
Here is my "Noob's Guide to Modding an Xterra (first gen)"

Searching is very helpful, there is a lot of stuff covered here already...but here is a quick noobs guide to modifying the xterra

1) Remove the step rails from the truck. They are VERY thin and if ever hit on a rock or tree stump etc off road, they crumple into the bottoms of your doors. Plus, even without a lift, the truck LOOKS higher to the eye with less stuff hanging down off of it.

2) Remove the mud flaps hanging down if you have them. Couple screws and maybe a razor blade to get them off. Same concept...they look better without them, and with less stuff hanging DOWN close to the ground, the truck LOOKS higher!

3) Avoid Brush Guards/bull bars or any kind of front bumper bar that bolts on. The problem is the way they mount. They have to go below the frame horns, which reduces your ground clearance and your appraoach angle. ALso, if you ever rear end someone or run into something, they will immediately crumble and fold over on top of your hood, head lights, grill, etc. They WILL cause more damage and provide no real protection.

4) Avoid any engine chips that advertise crazy horsepower gains. They are a scam. There is no real way to get A LOT of power out of these engines.

5) Do go for the stock air box mod. You can easily modify your stock airbox so that it works about like a cold air intake. Plus it still has the air box which protects the air filter from dirt and water.

6) Remove your rear sway bar (FREE!). The link to the How To is in my signature below.

7) PML is a cheap and effective (~1.5") suspension lift for ~$70. Link to the How To is in my signature.

8) If you are mechanically inclined and not afraid of a bigger task, you can get a 2" body lift for ~$70 if you are resourceful.

9) If your plastic bumpers and grills are dull and gray, you can paint them with a few rattle cans of spray paint or spray on bed liner. Looks great.

Essentially, for under $200 and a bit of labor and desire to learn, you can have a 3.5" lift, a better intake and a bad ass looking truck.

On the stock 1st generation Xterra, you can fit 32" tires with minor trimming of the plastic around the front wheels.

With a 2" body lift and some minor trimming, you can fit 33" tires.

Note: Any Suspension Lift does not allow for bigger tires. The extra room disappears once the suspension flexes on a bump.

Also, decide what it is you want your truck to do. Don't just do a mod because you were told to. Kinda think about what you want to do in your X that you can't do yet, and figure out what you need to do to get there

For offroading...tires are the best thing you can do for your X Sadly, tires are expensive...but depending on how good your tires are now, you may not need to worry for a while.

robcarync

Sliders
No heavy wheeling, I had a 2000 frontier bedore this and it'd go places most said it woukdnt, I'm not a big fan of body lifts in general so really wanna stay with suspension, and I got a set ogle 18" titan wheels with 31" tires I need to make a little room for :)

If you want to avoid body lifts, you gotta decide how much lift you want, and how much you will pay for it...You have several options though:

Front: You need upper control arms for anything over 1.5" (3" max with UCAs)... 4x4parts.com or Calimini, etc. You "lift" the front by adjusting the torsion bars...the UCAs just allow the extra room to lift

Rear: You have many options...and the two generics are shackles or leaf springs

Shackle
You can get 2 1/8" of lift with the "adjustable shackle" from 4x4parts.com
You can get not much lift (~1") from the "revolver shackle" from 4x4parts.com...but TONS OF FLEX
You can get a 1.5" lift shackle from either Calimini or 4x4parts.com

Leaf Springs

You can get a single leaf to add to your leaf springs, which states 3" of lift from 4x4parts.com
You can get a 3 leaf pack for 3" of lift from 4x4parts.com
You can get a single leaf which adds 1.5" from Calimini

You can mix and match the rear...say revolver shackles and a 3 leaf pack...or just a 1.5" leaf with 1.5" lift shackles....or just the "adjustable shackle" etc

Keep in mind that stock, the truck should have about 1-1.5" rake, with the front being lower

I used 3" UCAs in the front, and the 2 1/8" "adjustable shackle" for my lift, which allowed me to lift the front a bit more than the rear, so I could level it out some more.

There are kits that include shocks or torsion bars, etc...but for the "lift", you only need some combination of the above components

robcarync

Sliders
One last thing...I would have edited my prior response...but thought it was a good enough point on its own...

With 2WD...you can ONLY move forward if both rear tires are on the ground with good traction. With this limitation...I would DEFINITELY get revolver shackles for the maximum sexy flexy. The added flex will keep your rear axle planted and allow you do some moderate offroading, even with 2WD

im pretty mechanically inclined just never played with the suspension on an extrra, ill look into all you mentioned, thanks again, but a noob question for ya, whats the purpose of removing the rear sway bar

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
It's badly designed. Should the right link break, it can slam into the shock on that side, destroying the shock. On top of that, it really doesn't do anything for the truck and removing it gives some extra flex.

robcarync

Sliders
check the link in my signature for removing the rear sway bar...it has a good explanation for how and why it should be done. Long story short....more flex of the rear axle...which will keep a 2wd moving through more terrain!

Thanks jack stilts...that was a post I originally made on clubx a long time ago....I just keep a copy handy to copy and paste next time someone asks :)

robcarync

Sliders
Very handy tip, thanks man, also I've tried searching but haven't figured out how to change my profile picture or how to attach pics of the X to my profile, anyone, anyone?

To post a picture from your computer...go to advanced reply...scroll down below the text box, and click on "manage attachments"...browse your computer and choose your file to upload!

ok this is what im working with and my start, sorry i still cant get it to post to my profile, but anyways its a 2000 stock xterra i got for a STEAL, i bought it after it had been backed into in the front and they replaced the bumper and nohing else, so i replaced the grille headlights and added hyper white lamps, pulled the rear bumper trailer hitch and plastics, color matched the bumper, bed liner coated the hitch, and refinished all the plastics actually, have a set of 2008 titan wheels with a set of 265/65/18 bridgestone dueler A/T's, waiting on my wheel adapters to fit the wheels and see what kinda lift i actually need, oh and i was actually thinking about doing the same bed liner coating on the step bars and roof rails... that is after i put a 30" led bar between the front of the roof rails...IMAG0726.jpgIMAG0727.jpgIMAG0728.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0757.jpg
    IMAG0757.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0758.jpg
    IMAG0758.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: