Windrock Park - rates explained.

DirtyRice120

Need Bigger Tires
Founding Member
I know some people have questioned the rates at Windrock and this kind of puts it in perspective. I found this on a local forum and it compares Windrocks rates to other local events.

" Thank you for taking time to send me the conversation. I want riders to have a good experience at Windrock Park and part of that is if they think they got their money’s worth. There are people from time to time that complain about pricing. Most of these people having only been riding for a few years and don’t understand how many trails have been closed down in the last 10-20 years I bought my first Jeep 24 years ago. There used to be all kinds of areas to ride in east TN. Now most, areas are gated and are off limits. Having 73,000 acres that are legal to ride is great opportunity (I say that as a jeeper, not from as GM of Coal Creek).

There several things I usually mention to people when price comes up. Just food for thought:

1.Almost all recreational opportunities (where a fee is involved) are priced individually. They are not priced per group or vehicle.
2.Sporting events, movies, concerts, and even things like haunted houses are per person.
3.Compare prices:
a.Regal Cinema tickets: $10.25 adult and $7.25 child (lasts 2 hours)
b.Ice Bears hockey tickets: Season tickets $369 adult, $257 child. Per game tickets: $15 adult, $9 child. (lasts 2 hours)
c.UT football tickets face value $45-$65
d.UT basket ball tickets face value $25-$45
e.Lift tickets (per day) at Deer Valley Ski Resort in Utah $108 adult, $57 child
f.Golf. I don’t golf, but I know that most greens fees are higher than $17 / game.
4.We have not raised our prices in over 5 years. In fact, two years ago, we reduced the cost of children’s permits by 50%.
5.Our prices include sales tax. A $17 permit is actually $15.49 + applicable taxes for a total of $17.00

Dailey land-use permits at Windrock Park are $17 / day for adult and $8.00 for child. Annual permits are $88 for adult and $44 for child. Just to put things in perspective that’s $7.33 per month for adult and $3.60 per month for children.

The gentleman also brought up the cost comparison of Royal Blue v/s Windrock Park. One major difference he isn’t seeing. Royal Blue is owned by the State of TN and is public property. They do NOT pay property taxes and most of their road maintenance (most is gravel) comes from revenues generated from sale of hunting licenses and boating registration. Windrock Park is privately owned and we bear 100% of the cost of property taxes, full-time trail crew, maps, trail signage, etc.

Once again, thank you for passing the conversation on to me. We appreciate riders’ business and want to keep this as a viable part of our company.*

Sincerely,

Brent Galloway, CF
General Manager*
The Coal Creek Company
P.O. Box 529
Oliver Springs, TN 37840
865-435-7158"

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I didn't think $17 was that bad as compared to other places. I mean, Stoney Lonesome is $10, but its a little less land and closes down often for special events. I always thought Wooly's was expensive for what it was.

sickboy595

Bought an X
Well said and great comparisons...I for one think that $17 a day is a great price to pay for access...living in Florida there are few places to go and wheel (most are state lands). None of the parks are of the magnitude of Windrock. Another comparison for me is say Disney at $100 a pop/day, Busch gardens at $80. Both fun places to go but man that's alot money to drop for the honor of waiting in line for a ride that's going to last 2 min.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

metzican

Suspension Lift
I for one thing this is very well written. For anyone that wants to complain. Please post up an activity that you can do all day and into the night as they are open at night for $17 per day on private property.

DirtyRice120

Need Bigger Tires
Founding Member
I am one of the ones who has complained about the price before but when I read this, I am more than willing to pay the $17. I never thought about the trail maintenance, campground maintenance, property taxes, etc..

Intender

Wheeling
I think that they could offer a slightly discounted rate for someone who is just a rider. But I think the price is extremely fair for drivers. If it were me I would add a riders price. Somewhere around $10-$15 for riders, but for windrock I would be willing to pay a bit more as a driver. I think a good pricing scheme for them would be to keep the $8 for kids, somewhere around $12 for riders and then up the driver pass to $18-20 for single day rates. I think the only reason they dont offer a rider only pass is it would be vey hard to have enough people on the trails to enforce it during busy times and there are sadly a lot of people that would probably come in and even as the only person in a vehicle would try and get a rider pass. Maybe something even better would be a flat $15 per person, and you have to keep you paper with you, and then charge a $5 fee per vehicle and that gets you your sticker for the truck.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I think that they could offer a slightly discounted rate for someone who is just a rider. But I think the price is extremely fair for drivers. If it were me I would add a riders price. Somewhere around $10-$15 for riders, but for windrock I would be willing to pay a bit more as a driver. I think a good pricing scheme for them would be to keep the $8 for kids, somewhere around $12 for riders and then up the driver pass to $18-20 for single day rates. I think the only reason they dont offer a rider only pass is it would be vey hard to have enough people on the trails to enforce it during busy times and there are sadly a lot of people that would probably come in and even as the only person in a vehicle would try and get a rider pass. Maybe something even better would be a flat $15 per person, and you have to keep you paper with you, and then charge a $5 fee per vehicle and that gets you your sticker for the truck.

Issue with rider only pass is you never know who is driving and they have limited park staff

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Issue with rider only pass is you never know who is driving and they have limited park staff

But if you think about it, the driver already paid the driver fee, so its still one vehicle. I mean, I see where your statement comes from, but from a consumer point of view, it makes more sense this way.

2011XTERROR

Wheeling
that's a cheap park for what you get. hidden falls is $25 for driver and $15 for passenger. and it's only 3,000 acres. but that 3,000 acres also includes the gun range and ATV/dirt bike tracks that full-sized vehicles can't go on. so, windrock is a steal of a deal

2011XTERROR

Wheeling
You pay that yearly membership no matter what if I remember correctly then pay the daily on top. Correct me if I'm wrong. I remember looking at it once.

that makes sense. you pay then pay again lol. REI does that. you pay $20 for your membership and then you pay for your merchandise