Xterror04 Build Thread

mtnzuk

Bought an X
Very nice man. Love that you did leaf sprung SAS. Hows it driving on the street? I would love to see some more pics of it flexed out if you get a chance. Looks like you did a very good job. I am very used to leaf sprung suspension mods from my suzuki Samurai days and think that a well designed leaf sprung Xterra with expanding shackles would flex like gangbusters.. I used to daily drive a suzuki samurai for years that had them at both ends and it was a good driving vehicle despite the lift and flex. Thanks for sharing your Xterra journey with us here. Love the digital camo wrap too...

Pete

xterror04

Site sponsor
Founding Member
I need to get more flex pics up, hopefully going to hit a ramp up this weekend, the truck rides great, even my wife easily drivers it down the interstate and in town... These tires are amazing also... Only link to work out is the front driveshaft... I was using the stock Xterra one but it didn't have enough flex, so i sent my front yoke to rugged rocks and it's now drilled out to fit a 1310/1350 companion flange... Headed to the junk yard today to get a 1994-2001 Dodge Ram front shaft... I'm 99% sure it will bolt right on

mtnzuk

Bought an X
Right on man. I could totally see my doing the same thing with my Xterra once I finally find one. Leaf springs are so simple and stout and can be built to flex like freaking crazy. I have been wondering tho why most people who do leaf sprung suspension always put the shackle in the rear? Suzuki samurai's all have the moving shackle in the front and it allows you to go with the expanding shackles easier I think. Does not appear that you are lacking any flex tho ;). Please post more pics when you get a chance...

Pete

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
The shackle in the rear of the front axle actually makes crawling easier. If it's in the front, the shackle has to move opposite of the direction of compression on the axle. This creates another force to overcome. With the shackle behind the axle, it swings in the same direction of the movement of the axle.

Long story short, it's easier on the geometry.

xterror04

Site sponsor
Founding Member
well here is a long overdue update my friends.... first is my rock lights... wanted them for the Night RUn and WENT

Next project after Went was to rewire everything i have ever installed on my Xterra, so I chose a blue sea fuse box, pulled everything apart and started fresh... it was a rather long project but well worth it

Next up was a junk yard find from heaven, 2002 Nissan Sentra SER spec V seats... and to my surprise i was able to remove the brackets from both seats and they swapped perfectly...I need to get a installed pic but this shows the sentra seat on the left and the xterra seat on the right

Next up is the front Lokka, SOmething I went back and forth on quite a bit... you hear all these rumors that mechanical front lockers are a death trap in the snow... well a day after I installed mine it snowed 6" so the test was on.... MUch to my surprise it handles BETTER then the front unlocked... I never slipped, it never pulled and when one side would hit deeper snow i would stay straight instead of being pulled to the ditch! these things are worth every penny!!

xterror04

Site sponsor
Founding Member
Next up was the tcase, my chain had stretched and my tcase was popping alot in 4 lo so time for a new used one...

After that I realized i needed new U joints in the rear... so I bought some new spicers!

After that refresh I needed some better leaf springs... With my mod budget running low Alcan packs were out of the question... but I came across a heavy duty pack

http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/69-257hd..htm

Need pics I know.. but they are thicker then stock leaves, and ride amazing.. they brought my ride height up 1.5"

Also somewhere in the mix I replaced my oil pan gasket, and evap cannister... SO now that my truck is back to running 100% it was time for some fun things... With gone 2016 coming up i decided it was time for a new coooler...so I found this

Its a Igloo Iceless 28 qt.... I was a little skeptical but it really works well, no need for Ice and if you plug it in a couple hours before a trip it really keeps things cold! now I dont have to buy ice every morning at gone...

xterror04

Site sponsor
Founding Member
Now onto the visual aspects of my truck... I was wanting something new and different, as some of you know I own a company called Lifestyle Offroad, with the start of 2016 I wanted a new look to market with, well a high school friend called that just started a sign shop and we got together for a meeting... We now have a business deal setup so I can offer full color graphics, banners etc... So what does that mean for my xterra? it means no more blue!!! I started with a few small accent pieces while they started printing...

Then I got the new wrap... and I couldnt be happier

Thats all for now!

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Nice job! That looks awesome! What did you do to the lights though? I can see that you painted your headlight reflectors orange, but you did the turn signals too?

akuria

Wheeling
Nice looking rig man. I have been toying with the idea of doing a full wrap too. I have access to a sign shop to get mine printed and I have the skill to do the wrap myself but I haven't been able to decide on a design yet. Your wrap makes me want to Perdue it again. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsexton

Need Bigger Tires
I really like that new wrap!

If you like the Lokka now, just wait until you go off-road... Its amazing! Probably the best mod I've done.

ellisfamilyokc

First Fill-Up (of many)
With so many options to lock a D44, what lead to the choice of Lokka? Just purely out of curiosity.

xterror04

Site sponsor
Founding Member
With so many options to lock a D44, what lead to the choice of Lokka? Just purely out of curiosity.

Like stated above cost and simplicity.. Its only $220 for a Dana 44 and it works well... Also though Dana 44's co!e with different carriers.. 3.73 up and 3.72 down... Most of the electric or ait lockers are for the 3.73 up carriers... The factory wagoneer is the 372 down type... So that limits the lockers... And I wanted to keep the smaller carrier because it allows you to use thick gears... Thick gears are simply just a thicker ring gear so there is more oil contact and things stay cooler..

mantree

Wheeling
Love the sas with leaf springs I will be doing the same when ever I get around to getting a td27t diesle shoved under the hood. What did you do for strut mounts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited: