ericcris10sen's build

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
Year: 2001
Color: Silver
Model: Xterra 4x4
Trans: Auto

Okay, so this is my first build thread I've ever made, I was kind of hesitant on making one because I wasn't sure how long I would have my Xterra and whether or not I was going to put time and money into modding it, but the more little things I've done to my xterra, the more I enjoy it and want to do more to it. So I might possibly do more.

But I love off roading. I try to go almost every weekend if whether allows me to, and if I don't have any problems with my X that I need fixed.

Mods:
1.5 PML
31's Duratrac tires
Fog lights (temps until I want to buy better ones, most likely KC's)
Calmini Rock Sliders
Removed rear sway bar
Removed step rails
RLCweldfab front bumper
Tuff Stuff 12,500 lb recovery winch
Stickers!
Ultragauge
Firestick antenna
Uniden Pro505XL CB radio
Shovel mount
Hi-lift jack mount
D ring hitch mount (I guess that's what you call it lol)
LED lights!
Organizers in the rear as well as a terribly made but useful LoBo rack
DashCam
Rock Sliders
2 Fire Extinguishers for looks and utility lol

Hopefully more mods:
Bilstein shocks
LOVE to have a rear door tire mount (but super expensive)

This is my Xterra (picture wasn't when I first got it, but it doesn't have any mods to it or anything)

20_zps0a2447c0.jpg

This is my Xterra now

DSC00120_zps7mkcvoy6.jpg

DSC00119_zpsdoi2eaa1.jpg

Last edited:

Xado89

Skid Plates
lol well I used to be horde, but I couldn't find an alliance decal that was in color and roughly the same size. They were usually tiny.

That's because Horde is better =P
Nice looking truck man. Off to a great start. Keep up the modding! It's very addictive, especially when you do the DIY stuff.

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
So an update, I'm VERY impressed by RLC weld. He said that he'll be sending it out in about a week (maybe 2 weeks atm) and I just ordered it on the 30th of January. So if he is able to get it done in the time he gave me, or hell, even a week after, then I'm very, very impressed with his company.

Also, I've ordered some rock sliders from Calmini so I'm excited about those too. Can't wait to put them on!

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
Put my new Calmini rock sliders on! Only having a problem with a couple screws. Some just won't go fully in, but I was putting it on last night and was freezing my ass off so didn't get to spend as much time as I wanted on those screws
DSC00003_zps818fbc1c.jpg

Also, my RLCweldfab bumper came in! It looks AMAZING!!! Such an awesome job on that bumper! Monday, I'm driving to another members house and we're going to install that bad boy! But before that, I'm putting on a couple layers of bedliner.

Last edited:

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
I guess I should take some pictures of my Xterra a little dirty from some trails. I don't ever go with anyone (no one really near me) so I go on my own all the time, mostly go on trails in Sedona, AZ. These pictures were taken with no mods on my X, so they're very early pictures as you'll notice. I don't ever take any action pictures (which I should tbh) because I'm more focused on the trail and off roading, and no one's with me to walk ahead lol

DSCN0676_zps36339a79.jpg

DSCN0678_zpsa347a8a4.jpg

DSCN0670_zpsb2b114ba.jpg

Last edited:

Chetter

First Fill-Up (of many)
yep...the mod bug has bitten another victim! Looks great! I can't wait to see the front bumper installed....(I'm sure you can't either....lol)

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
yep...the mod bug has bitten another victim! Looks great! I can't wait to see the front bumper installed....(I'm sure you can't either....lol)

haha it sure has. I think after I get what I have done, that's going to be it for a little while. I'm going to be driving to Alaska for work in a April and I need all the money I can for that drive and to settle in.

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
Thanks man! Yea, just put on the bumper with another forum member, and already purchased an electric winch to put in there. It's going to be awesome. I'm going to take some updated pics later today.

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
Last weekend I went to another members house and we put my RLCweldfab bumper on and yesterday I was able to put the winch in and screw it on tight. I still need to set up all the electronics on it and hook it to the battery so I'm not completely done with the winch. I'm also planning to putting some metal/plastic or some other kind of sheet over the opening above the winch to keep as much water out of that area as possible (of course it won't keep it all out, but it's better than nothing, and I haven't ever had a winch before so I don't have experience in how they hold up in rain/water etc). And then what I'm going to do is add some more bolts in the bumper area to make it more stable (for my piece of mind) even though I've tested it out and that bisnatch isn't going to be moving lol. Apparently postal/fedex/ups employees are kind of mad at me. My co-worker told me that when they dropped off my winch yesterday, they said "why does this guy always buy heavy items" lol. It weighs 99 lbs so I'm feeling their pain at times. Thankfully this will most likely be the last heavy thing I'm buying before I head to my next job. They won't have to worry about it.

DSCN0793_zpsb6946ffa.jpg

Last edited:

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
So I bought a hitch spare tire carrier mount. It was something cheap but seems reliable, so I bought one so I don't either have to take it out from underneath it in case I need to replace it, or so I don't take a nasty mpg hit on the highways. So far, I really like it. It seems pretty stable and so far I haven't had any problem with it.

Also, I went off roading with my friend a couple days ago on some forest road, and it was a pretty nice trail. Rocky in some areas (aired my tires down when I saw it was getting pretty rocky) and then, there was a HUGE mud puddle. At first I was a little nervous because we were the only ones out there (he didn't take his truck), and I didn't have any real recovery points to hook my winch up to because the area only had small shrubs, and no trees or huge rocks/boulders. So, I put it in 4L and gunned it. The beginning was pretty damn soft, and for a second, I was thinking I might get stuck, then I hit a rough patch and my truck powered through it like a beast! It was so damn fun! Here s the outcome of the run (as well as pics of the tire mount). In a week I'm heading out again to my next job, but I'm hoping I find some kick ass off road trails in Alaska. Also the wet spots under my truck is from me washing the mud off my winch.

DSCN0793_zpsb6946ffa.jpg

DSCN0794_zpsc4a79002.jpg

Last edited:

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
I finally got an action picture (kinda) because my friend asked me if I wanted to get a pic of my driving through the mud, and I said HELL YES. It's an alright pic, he told me he was trying to figure out how to have it take multiple pics in a row so he didn't get the best picture lol but still, it's an action picture. I'll post it when he gets it to me.

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
Just another tire carrier pic. This one during the day so it's easier to see.
DSCN0797_zps584b749c.jpg

So my friend sent me the pic, unfortunately my phones a POS so I can't forward it to my email. But he said he's wanting to take a ton of pics tomorrow when we head out so I'm hoping to get a ton of great photos (I'm going to take my own camera out). Also it rained a couple times in the past few days so I'm hoping that mud puddle will be bigger and there will be more out there.

@Robcarync Thanks a lot! Yea I'm totally happy with how it turned out!

@Jack Stilts OOOOOH YEA :luv:

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
So, I've currently reached 196,000 miles on my vehicle today. I've been searching and have found some decent newer models with MUCH less miles on it, and in a price range I can definitely afford. My truck is still running very strong so that's something that's holding me back from purchasing a new Xterra. If it can hold up during my seasonal job here in Alaska, I won't go look for a new Xterra. But working in deserted areas which my career field brings me, I need to make sure my X is in tip top shape (even if I'm the one who causes some of the problems).

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
So, I've currently reached 196,000 miles on my vehicle today. I've been searching and have found some decent newer models with MUCH less miles on it, and in a price range I can definitely afford. My truck is still running very strong so that's something that's holding me back from purchasing a new Xterra. If it can hold up during my seasonal job here in Alaska, I won't go look for a new Xterra. But working in deserted areas which my career field brings me, I need to make sure my X is in tip top shape (even if I'm the one who causes some of the problems).

Stay on the maintenance. If the engine and transmission have been properly maintained during that almost 200,000 miles, it'll easily do another 200k. This is one of the reasons I Ike Nissan trucks. If you keep up the maintenance, they will run forever.

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
Nice ride, I' am sure it sucks to think about getting another vehicle after getting your trail ready like that.

I know, it really kills me when I think about looking at a newer Xterra. I've done a lot and put a lot of money and work into getting this X to where it is, and it would suck to sell it, especially since a dealership would only buy it for about 1k AT THE MOST. My front bumper was $600....

Stay on the maintenance. If the engine and transmission have been properly maintained during that almost 200,000 miles, it'll easily do another 200k. This is one of the reasons I Ike Nissan trucks. If you keep up the maintenance, they will run forever.

I'm planning to keep it up. Only thing I have to worry about are bits of pieces coming loose or tearing off from wear and tear and from things getting rusted.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I just posted this, but as Jmac was saying, it would suck to get rid of this X after what I've done to it. I need to stop looking at new Xterras because after everything I've done to the one I have, the dealership would probably only give me $1,000 at the most, and wouldn't be worth it. I'm going to stick to this Xterra until it dies, and I doubt (with what I've fixed on it) it will die any time soon.

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
New LED Lightbar came in!

DSCN0941_zps0f20cc82.jpg

DSCN0942_zps104ba9eb.jpg

Specs:
Wurton
30"
Combo (spot/flood)
# of LEDs - 56
Amp Draw - 10.5
Raw Lumens - 27,600

Unfortunately it gets dark at around midnight to 0100 so I won't be able to take a picture of what it looks like, yet. I took them at 8 pm and that's how bright it is at that time lol
I'm planning to sell (or maybe keep if no one wants it) the LED lightbar on the bumper and put some long distance lights there (i.e. KC's).

Also the mechanics at the fab shop suggested if I want to do more modding, to do a 4" SL. He said they're faily cheap and you can put larger tires on so that MIGHT be my next mod. I wasn't planning on doing a whole lot to this X because I thought it was fine where it's at. But with an AWESOME fab shop in town, I might see what else I can do :)

Last edited:

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)

Well when I purchased my Xterra (buyer beware *sigh*) I found out a couple days after that my transmission was in REAL bad condition lol so I brought it to a trans shop and they put an entirely new one in! It costed me about $1.2k (which I felt was a great deal) so I have a LONG time until it's supposed to go bad. Had it replaced at about 180,000 miles and I'm at around 200,200 miles now :)

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
I just read through your build thread, truck looks good man! Very practical and capable looking. I was intrigued with the 4" SL, I wonder if that's a 3" SL but they'll throw in longer shackles additionally in the rear. I'm yet to come across a 4" SL for IFS, unless it's like a Total Chaos long travel set-up or something lol. That scenery around you is gorgeous too, I don't know if I could deal with the cold darkness for that many months though lol

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
I just read through your build thread, truck looks good man! Very practical and capable looking. I was intrigued with the 4" SL, I wonder if that's a 3" SL but they'll throw in longer shackles additionally in the rear. I'm yet to come across a 4" SL for IFS, unless it's like a Total Chaos long travel set-up or something lol. That scenery around you is gorgeous too, I don't know if I could deal with the cold darkness for that many months though lol

I think maybe he had the lift wrong, he probably meant a 3" lol

Yea I doubt I'll stay up here for the winter. This park is very stressful. A LOT of work for not much pay. Plenty of NPS jobs out there for the winter so we'll see :) But I have a couple things I need fixed on my truck before I do a SL. I think I might do one when I go to the lower 48 so I don't have to drive as far to get it done and pay as much to get it shipped. But idk yet. And ty for the response!

ericcris10sen

First Fill-Up (of many)
Okay so I messed up my X, but not sure how extensive the damage is. The gauges don't work, the battery drains very quickly (it doesn't hold a charge) because leaving the area, I was jumped probably 3-4 times. We let it get to 13 volts and when we do, we can go about 20 miles before the lights start dimming and it dies. When going up hills it stutters and gets pretty bad, so I have to let up on the gas and push down very slightly on the peddle, and that'll usually work for the most part. I also dented my exhaust pipe at the end, which doesn't look too bad.

So here's the story.

I went on a trail near MOAB called "Edge of the World" and I wasn't expecting that trail to be so brutal. I went with a coworker who drives a big ol truck, with 35s and probably a 2-3 inch lift or so. So he had no trouble, but I sure did. My X handled it like a beast for the most part. Since I only have a 1 1/2 inch PML, and the ledges on that trail are pretty big, we had to, multiple times, stack rocks up and drive up those to keep going. There was only ONE part of the trail that there was no way my X could get up on my own, and he had to use rope to pull me up, which was pretty fun but nerve racking because of the size of the ledge. I took some awesome pictures and had my dash cam on so I'll hopefully be able to post some nice pics on here as well as some videos on youtube of the trail.

Yea, it sucks that my truck is damaged and I'm going to see whether or not the insurance company will deem it destroyed. I hope it isn't considered totaled. I'm HOPING something just jiggled loose and that's what the problem is, because even though I scraped A LOT of things under it, I didn't see any REAL damage to any of the parts. I had it towed to a repair shop and they're going to see what the problem is, and I hope that they work on Monday because I'd rather NOT pay for another day or 2 for this damn rental car. Was it worth it? I think so. My Xterra has about 205,000 miles on it, and I know it isn't going to last for a very long time even though it runs perfectly. I'd rather have it back than have to purchase a new Xterra.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
If the exhaust is blocked (A kink, etc) the back pressure can do stuff that sounds like at least some of what you describe.

There are a BUNCH of wee ribbon-like ground straps from body to frame and engine to frame, not to mention the battery's internal parts, clamps, the fuse block itself, etc, that can be jarred loose by a lot of action...and that can do this stuff too.

You didn't mention water, but your alternator may be involved as well, etc.

Did it throw any codes?