Apps: clash of clans

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Hey, I've rejected even when I just hit the wrong button....no harm no foul.

:)

If I see a request in another language though, I hit reject pretty quick. If they say anything about an Xterra, I hit accept. For potentials, I look here to see if they posted...and, if no mention, reject'm, and so forth.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Dang...some no shows (NOT harry...) and we lost by three points with plover making zero attacks....:groggy:

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
BTW - Just for the record:

Thunderstick is Mike the Fantas from here.

(Some of you were asking)

:kewl:

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
In response to the plethora of meee, usss, youuu requests for war base review:

Basically, the problems with the current ones involve a LOT of gifts in percent damage, stuff that's around the perimeter but out of your D's range.

They go around your base like on a lawnmower and get almost enough points to star you on that alone.

The other is bombs/traps...some are still outside the walls, so, mostly wasted...when they could be saved to stop someone who broke in.

The walls are best set up so they have to go through as many as possible to get at you. When your TH is in a box, and they break one wall and they're in that box...its hard to not get starred.

If you box out a D, make sure other D cover it so they can pound the living sheite out of whatever's trying to get into the box.

Put non-D inside too, that way, at least while the King or PEKKA hacks at your barracks, your towers are whittling away at them, etc.

If you use a sweeper, generally, but not always, they either go at it with ground troops, or, hit from the air on the other side.

That means if you for example set the sweeper aimed North, you put your air mines and air caskets etc, mostly to the South, and set your AD way back so they JUST reach the walls, and mostly will need the attackers to get loons to your center before they can take out your AD.

And, it means set your ground defenses (bombs, best walls and cannon/mortar, etc...) to cover the North well.

Obviously, you'd swivel it to whatever seems to protect you best after messing around...

Make sure your walls are defended by D that can kill swarms of busters, and that you've alternated air/ground killers to cover each other. That way, they can't take out an entire wall defense with just minions, etc.

Keep in mind that they can kill 98% of your base, but the TH lives, they only get 1 star....so the TH survival is the heart of your defensive tactic.

They can of course "tunnel" or jump spell their way in, but, that means (If your D is good), that they'll STILL only get one star, because you make them die trying...so if they do manage to get your TH with a B-Line attack, it must be SO painful a process, that they have nothing left to also get 50%, etc.

So, lots of layers of walls and D to fight the way in to your precious TH.

Your center must bristle with DEATH.

:D

So, bring in the outer stuff, so they have to get killed to harvest it.

Rings around the TH, lined with progressively nasty defensive positions...so they can't send in 5 hogs and take out your AD, then loonion your butt. Don't make full rings, put a wall across every so often so they can't do laps. Make the "stops" where you can pound them to smithereens while they work on breaking through.

Mix the non-D with the D, so they come to get your TH, and hack at builder huts while you gun them down...you know, like YOUR dumb troops did while you yelled at them in enraged frustration to ignore the hut and shoot back, etc.

Tuck the AD, etc, in deep by the TH, so they don't take it out easily or early. As you can still get dragoned, that helps a LOT. Aim the sweeper if applicable to keep them in range of your AD but too far away to have enough time on target to get your towers as easily, etc. (Sweepers are sort of annoying)

Put the hog bombs in pairs, even in 3's if next to the TH....you are again, desperate to kill anything that close to your heart/TH....its your last line of defense.

The telsas there too help.

Try to avoid "Gift D"...where the gollum/giant etc, just strolls up and eats it w/o much penalty.

Remember that their attacks will be either D-specific...hogs, giants, gollums, loons, lava hounds, etc...or, the generalists who hit whatever's closest/happens to gain their ADD type attention spans.

Putting a hut in front of a giant does nothing, so you need a wall or bomb/trap, etc.

Putting a hut in front of a PEKKA means it HAS TO stop and chop it....it can't help it.

If they burrow/jump to the TH area...the D guys will ignore your TH until EVERY D is gone in your whole base....but the Pekkas and Kings, etc, will happily whack your TH unless you have an elixir storage or gold bank or whatever for them to run the clock down on instead.

Queens are really dangerous as they can shoot across walls at the TH...make sure they get bombed (Traps don't work on royals) and make sure they have tempting targets to hit instead. Bombing them should be in a row as they come at you, so when they do that stealth thing and make a group of archers...the bomb blows them and re-reduces her health, etc. (They do stealth to regenerate health when low...)

If they do gollums, they will have witches and or wiz follow them in...those can be sprung and bombed too, etc....so springs in the ring outside the TH ring are a good bet...but the gollums don't get sprung...but big bombs at least hurt a bit...they mostly need a long long time of pounding...so, walls are your best gollum stopper.

Does that help?

slantyshanty

Bought an X
I think I'm my own enemy when it comes to designs. I'm well aware of what works and what doesn't and why things work the way they do but I get tired of looking at my own bases so I change them. Sometimes for the better sometimes for worse. I don't own everything there is to own so I have to work with what I've got. Plus, I (like most) jumped th levels too early so my D and my O isn't as good as it should be. But whatever, I can grind.

I have had some very well laid out designs in the past and I have had some not so great ones. I just always want to try new things new tactics after a while. I realize there is no perfect design else everyone would use it. I also realize the game is designed that way. Good on the designers. I'm sure a LOT of trial and error went into it's design.

So that's kinda where I'm stuck... Trial and error. I'm lucky to have 3 relatively equal level bases so I can trial a lot more than I can error. My normal bases are all the same and (surprisingly) have stayed that way for quite some time. They will continue to be that way because it works well for how I play. Only issues I have with them is when I can afford new towers. Then I gotta find room for stuffs. lol

War bases are a whole different game though. Normally I need to save resources and could care less about trophies... Other than the fewer I have the better. War is exact opposite. Resources don't matter and trophiesstars are what I need. Goes against everything I know. Haa

I think we should all take a look at each other's bases and come up with pros/cons/changes. We could ALL use them. But, some of our players I don't even think really play anymore? It goes beyond not showing for wars. Some of the normal bases NEVER change. I'm not saying we should go on a boot spree but it IS hurting us overall. Especially when players DON'T show for wars. Or, they attack way lower than their level. But we've beaten those horses before. I guess it's better to attack PERIOD vs not at all. And, it's better to have a strong/well laid out base that never changes vs a not great design/easy gifts for war.

Blah... Back to meee, youuu, usss. I changed one of the war bases so far. (the easy th grab one) Even though none of mine usually get 3 starred, I know it at least could have been much better. Since my base names are obviously owned by the same player, I don't want them to look anything alike, so enemy players can guess where my traps and tricks are. But, since you get multiple attacks during war, I can only hide those so long.

So, that's where overall base design comes in. Ensuring that, even if the traps/tricks were clearly visable, there is nothing they can do BUT hit as many as possible. So the key is how to make the most out of what I have without wasting them. How to lay things out so bombs and springs don't get tripped by golems/pekka/royals...

Finding the right balance of traps, tricks, road blocks, detours, mazes, protection, subterfuge, the game AI... All while using what I have and at the levels they are.

Oh I hate this game.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
The ideas for improvement I mentioned are conceptual. The design used to acheive those improvements can be wildly different of course, but, the concepts still hold.

Even loading different defensive troops can surprise attackers. Its a little "rock-paper-scissors" - like, in that if one base has hogs as D, and the next has a dragon and minions, their Pekka might be in trouble, etc

It would be great if we could attack each others' bases and report back on improvements etc....that WOULD be a great addition to the game.

Last edited:

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
We booted plover and Tony because they were not donating, were not opting out, and were being no shows at wars too often...and were high enough level that they made our opponents stronger in clan wars.

Again - Its very important that you opt in to be in wars, but if not available (life, etc...), just opt OUT so you don't become a free 3 points to the other side.

slantyshanty

Bought an X
I have been rejecting quite a few requests lately (now that I can). I make sure that I check here first to make sure they didn't request here first... If I ever accidently deny a request from an Xer, ummm my bad?

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
I let them languish/linger on COC until I can check here, just in case....unless the request is not in English for example.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
The new updates are the largest update I've ever seen!

A second sweeper makes sense, one wasn't enough.

The dark spells (And factory to make them...) are pretty cool so far.

The earthquake does ~10% damage (~8-12% depending on level)...so that's 10% of what's LEFT if you stack them...but you can do like TEN of them as they only use ONE spot instead of two....and they do ~ 4X damage to walls....so even L11 walls get a giant hole in them....plus the buildings in the circle too, etc.

Poison does 540 damage, splash, and it lingers..plus it SLOWS DOWN the defenders by 34% too....so, instead of lightning...this does more damage, longer....and if you stack them, you can take out royals etc.

The Haste spell I haven't USED yet...but it starts out giving you the SPEED boost you'd get from a maxed rage spell (But no damage increase), but by level 4 I thinks its over 40% faster...so loons and drags for example could penetrate faster than minions. :D

The angst producing practice of using lightning strikes on your precious DE is OVAH....as ALL storages (DE, GOLD, ELIXIR) are now spellproof (From earthquake, etc, too).

Collectors and pumps are still strikable though.

The breakers seem to be better organized and not waste the bombs if deployed in a bunch...so some blow, the others file through and blow the next wall...so far, so good.

There are L5 drags now...with spikey spines, and horns and blowing 220 hit points of splash/taking 2700 damage.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
LOL

Its always back to the damn bots...

I'm not sure what the point of playing a game that you're not actually playing is...maybe its gratifying to simply "beat the system"?

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Maybe he can't play w/o the bots? (The bot comment was made as an answer to why windows 10 was needed?)

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
We won by ONE Star today! Went to bed with us up ~ 44 to 4, but the other clan is in Malaysia, so, 10 pm here is 10 am there...so I woke up to them coming back with a vengeance.

We won 47 to 46, with their last attack ~ 2 minutes before the end.

Very cool, as only 89 more points and we hit L4 perks.

We're up to 18 total wins too.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
I've tried getting an android emulator running on my laptop, but didn't have much success; it kept crashing. Since I'm on the phone most of they day anyway, having it on my phone is easier. And Windows 10 is supposed to have a Droid and iOS emulator built in, but who knows how well it'll work.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
I'd really like it if I could play COC on my 'puter instead of phone or tablet...although the tablet's actually pretty decent for it...so its not a desperate situation.

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
We are adopting a strategy some other clans have had success with: Attacking 3 down instead of across, etc.

Recently, we are averaging ~ 1 new star per attack, or even less, whereas our competitors (who do manage to beat us when they do...) are averaging over 2 new stars per attack.

So...ideally, the lowest guys attack first, as there IS NO "3 down" for them TO attack in some cases....so, they TRY to get what they can on the other clan's bottom.

THEN, the guys say # 4 on up, mop up the missing stars from that bottom.

The upper guys can wait the longest to see where the remaining stars are...and then mop up, also attacking 3 down as applicable.

If we do the above correctly, instead of say 20 guys earning an average of 1-2 stars each, for 20 bases....giving us average final score in the 30's to low 40's from 40 attacks, for the war total....

...we might get closer to 2-3 stars per base, times 17-20 bases = ~ 40 - 60 stars for the war.

MOST of our wars would be won if we averaged ~ 2.5 stars per base....as its rare for THEM to 3 star ALL our bases either, etc.

So, that's our new plan...concentrate most of the attacks on bases weaker than us...to be SURE we "3" as many as possible....and fifteen 3's would give us 45 right there...enough to win many wars alone.

So, attack three DOWN from you....even if someone else starred it (Not 3 already obviously, but 1-2, sure...), as we are going for 3's.

The SECOND attack is ALSO to mop up LOWER # remaining stars.

I get the impression that a lot of us were worried (Historically) that we'd get skunked, so, attacked low, but, in a disorganized way, so, some upper guys poached the only targets the lower guys could have starred on...so we had giant gaps with no stars...and no one left who could grab them.

By attacking down in an ORGANIZED way, every one gets to contribute, and, we avoid those gaps. So, sure, we will all continue to click the wrong spells, drop them on the wrong places, and watch our retarded troops swing around the perimeter instead of getting them to go inside, shoot a collector or wall while being creamed by a D, etc....its part of the game, and those attacking us can be plainly seen effing up THEIR attacks ON us too, etc...

...But, on average, the above should make what we CAN DO work better and more efficiently....and get us more wins.

---------------------

ISSUE #2 -

Some of our bases include too many free gifts.

The most Common Dumb Ideas/Newb Mistakes:

1) Stuff around the base too far away for your D to shoot the guys killing it (You are giving away % damage, for free). This includes giving away free cannons and wiz towers, etc, as well as storage, etc.

2) TH too close to outer walls, too easy to kill w/ wiz/archers, etc.

3) Traps OUTSIDE the base....so a giant bomb is wasted on a barb, etc....or never triggered, etc. That can include leaving a wall open on purpose, to draw them to a bomb, but, the bomb kills a barb and then giants flood in, with no wall to keep them out, etc.

4) Uncentered CASTLE. If the idea is to get the ENEMY'S castle troops outside to kill them, why put your castle troops outside for them to make that easier? It SHOULD BE close to your TH to protect it.

5) Royals stationed way off where they can be ignored, and where they can't defend the TH.

6) Forgetting that protection of your TH is JOB #1. If they destroy 90+% of your base, but NOT the TH, they only get ONE STAR....no matter what ELSE they wreck. PROTECT THE TH.

Take a look at YOUR bases, and see if you are making any of the above NEWB MISTAKES...and - CORRECT THEM

------------------------

Last edited:

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Thoughts on our recent victory:

The attack-down strategy seemed to have worked well, albeit a surprising amount of confusion as to how to DO it.

Most of this confusion might have been simply forgetting that we were doing it.....so ~ 1/2 the attacks were actually against the wrong opponents....yet, even so, we killed the other clan pretty good....and they came into it with more than double our win record, etc.

Basic Premise, Explained:

1) There are more attacks than there are bases to attack.

2) Only the best attack "counts" towards the final score.

3) If there are 15 bases, and we get 3 on each, the best total score would be 45. CAN you 3-star the base across from you? Reliably? - If so, we would all make one attack, 3-star our equal base #, and we'd win...not even needing anyone to make a second attack. :)

4) You can generally get more stars from a base lower than yours, and, the lower it is, the weaker and easier to get stars on.

5) We have, historically, been averaging ~ 1 new star per attack...so by the time we all used up our 2 attacks, on a 15 base war, we score in the 20's...and, typically, lose.

6) If we ALL slide down 3 spots to attack weaker bases, we ALL score more stars per attack...and the sacrifice is that we leave the very top untouched. The very top bases typically are historically the lowest star yielders - so, the easiest to rationalize sacrificing.

7) After the initial 3-down attacks, we look at what's left...many should be 3-starred, some will have 1-2 stars left to grab. We want to attack DOWN at them the same way, as THOSE MUST BE 3-starred typically TO GET the missing stars. IE: You might be attacking MORE THAN 3 down to mop up missing stars.

Summary:

We want to raise our average star count, as a TEAM, from 1-2 to 2-3. Its easier to GET more stars against weaker opponents...who will typically be the enemies below your base level...so, attack DOWN TO THE WEAKER BASES, and, get more stars than normal.

For the SECOND attack, attack even LOWER if needed to make sure we harvest the remaining stars. LOOK at your team mate's and try to leave the lowest bases for our lowest guys, if you can 3-star anything higher, etc.

We need to balance things like the impact of 2 guys getting 3 stars each = 6 total - vs - 4 guys getting 2 each = 8 total, etc....so if the other two guys are unlikely to star, its OK to take their targets...otherwise, leave them some targets, etc.

Last edited: