2000-2001 CB install Cobra Ultra III

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Ok so this is my CB install I did in the dash of my 2001 Xterra. This will work on the 2000-2001 Gen 1 Xterra's but no other..
First you must pull the plastic ring off from the radio.. This is very easy because there is only two screws at the bottom of the ring.
2009Xterra011.jpg

As you can see the two holes at the bottom of the ring.
You can pull the ash tray out and do what you want as this will no longer work due to the cutting we are going to do!
0820090650a.jpg

This CB is a Cobra Ultra III its the older version of the now.. Cobra DX IV
These can be found at your local Walmart or any truck stop. I found mine on ebay for 18 dollars.
What you will now cut off is the part the tray slides in to.
2009CB030.jpg

Now you will have to trim the hole after cutting the tabs off. This is where you need to take your time... The opening is not big enough. You will need to drimmel out this
cbinstall.jpg

I would trim then try to fit the CB in the hole.. and repeat it. The CB should fit snug. Once your happy with how the CB fits you can move to the next part.. You will need to trim in the dash!
Cbinstall2.jpg

You don't need to be as careful here because no one will see this.. Still dont go crazy with a dremmel..
Once this is cut put the cb in ring and see if you have cut enough in the dash.. If all go's well your CB will fit and we can move on to the power..
The way I've done this may not be the best way..but it seems to work..
With the lighter still unplugged.. I took the positive (RED) wire and put it in the hole of the middle plug of the lighter.. this is the Positive of the lighter. At no point did I cut any wires!
cbinstall3.jpg

Now you do the same with the Negitive (BLACK) on the outside plug... plug it back in to the lighter.. It will be harder to slide back in due to adding the new wires but it will all slide back together. Use electrical tape to wrap the new wires to the old. Once this is done check your CB to see if it turns on.. The way I've done this is! When your key is switched on the CB is on.. and when its switched off CB is off.
Now to the Antenna! I ran this under the center console.. then under the seat (I had to take the seats out to get the screws out of the center console)
2009CB006.jpg

I ran the antenna wire then under the plastic of both doors.
2009CB005.jpg

I then ran the wire under the carpet of the back cargo area.
2009CB003.jpg

This may work for you or not... Depending on where and how you mount your antenna.. I used a Firestick mount..
They make many to choose from so search to see what fit you X!
When all said and done you should have a install that really looks like it could have came from the factory
0828091850.jpg

and if your really crazy it can look like this...
2009Xterra081.jpg

If you have any question hit me up... and sorry I didnt take more detailed pictures.. I never thought anyone would be interested in this..

Last edited:

AaronsX

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
He's right.. It says CD install.
I mounted mine here, it's the same cb.. It's a bit harder to get to. And I've had it for 2 weeks and havent tuned it. So I just listen to 40 static channels :)
099bde1f.jpg

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
When looking at a CB consider where the speaker is located. down firing can be harder to hear than front firing, just something to think about if you are planning to mount it in the dash.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
The way I have done this there is no issue with the speaker. Its exposed at the bottom
2009CB016.jpg

AZhiAZiAM

Suspension Lift
dave, about how long is that cobra? i measured the width of this Midland 1001z and it will fit width wise, but it looks fairly long. Not sure how much room you had behind the faceplate to put it in.

AZhiAZiAM

Suspension Lift
for those wondering any others that will fit
Midland 1001z (got decent reviews and has a PA input) 32.99 on amazon.
Size ……………………………………………………4-7/8”(W) x 6-1/2”(D) x 1-1/2”(H)
Cobra Ultra III
Size ............................................6 3/4"(W) x 6 7/8" (D) x 17⁄8" H

Not meaning to threadjack if this belongs somewhere else delete and let me know.

Timrich

Super Duper Moderator
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure I have that model midland in my x and it firs just fine. Ill have to check tomorrow and see.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Timrich

Super Duper Moderator
Founding Member
AZ I do have the 1001z and it fits just fine. I think I have pics on my build thread if you wanna check it out.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

AZhiAZiAM

Suspension Lift
dave when you put the wires into your cig adapter. did you just smelt them together? and the cig adapter was still usable right?

AZhiAZiAM

Suspension Lift
thanks dave and tim i just did it this morning awesome! took a little cutting but it is all good! just need to get it tuned!

Kuzmovka

Bought an X
Not to revive a dead thread here, but how exactly did you get that thing mounted in there? I get the cutting and connections but what did you secure it with?

Kuzmovka

Bought an X
what you're saying it's just chillin like a villain in there and it doesn't come out? that's awesome! pulling the trigger on this right now! I was expecting some elaborate system to be crammed in there.

Last edited: