CaptainMorgan_SOS's Official Build Thread (finally)

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
WARNING: This is going to be a long read with a lot of pics. I'll update this as this project progresses...

Ok so here's the deal. I had been saving up for the longest time in order to get a new project truck (67-72 Chevy or GMC shortbed stepside). I was planning on building a street cruiser but after this last trip I have decided that I now want to use this money I have set aside for the project to be put towards the Xterra and then the remaining funds would go into my savings account (psssst, SAS is expensive, but I wanted the best).

Yes, I could go out and get a Jeep or a Taco and build it up, but I don't see enough Xterras on the trails. I figured this would help get some exposure to them ;)

Before the SAS:

2" DIY Body Lift
PML
33x10.5x15 BFG ATs on Desert Runners
Removed intake baffles
Removed rear sway bar
Painted body and plastics
Installed eBay snorkel (have not finished piping, but have it in the garage)
Concept Customs lightbar with 4 Hella 500s
RLC front bumper (sitting in the garage, waiting for paint and install)
Trail Gear Sliders (on order, waiting for them to arrive)

SAS build is in the works! More details to come.

So here is where I started:
11214751256_5b393e76bb_c.jpg

8657914789_16dc4b9cd7_c.jpg

How it was when I left VA:
9276608315_b41f3a70bb_c.jpg

Not long after getting to NM:
10779061764_ea8dd727e7_c.jpg

Latest incarnation (May 2014):
14654464348_4dc959e8e5_b.jpg

Here is why I decided the X needed a change (sexy flexy haha):
10778863455_45c592352d_c.jpg

10778860355_621b425af3_c.jpg

If you read through this, Congratulations and I thank you for your patience and interest! More pics below!

So that's where I am and where my thoughts and research are being focused.

To Do:
[X] Solid axle swap, spring over axle in rear
[X] 67" Trail Gear Rock sliders (still need to paint)
[X] 37" wheels and tires
[ ] Rear diff breather (ASAP)
[X] Install CB radio (sitting in the garage, waiting for bumper to be finished)
[X] Paint and install front RLC bumper
[X] Install OBA and hook up rear locker (
sitting in the garage, waiting for bumper to be finished)
[ ] Buy and install front locker to replace LSD up front (TBD)
[X] Buy 60" hi-lift jack (Spring, 2014)
[ ] Buy and install winch (Spring, 2014)
[ ] Change out Hellas for LEDs (Fall, 2014)
[ ] 4 link, or 3 link (undecided) rear suspension conversion (Winter, 2014/Spring 2015)
[X] Swing away rear bumper
(In Progress)
[ ] Rear view camera (TBD)
[ ] Transfer case gears or transfer case doubler (TBD)
[ ] Custom skids (TBD)
[ ] LED headlight mod (TBD)
[ ] Change out all other interior and exterior lights to LEDs (TBD)
[ ] Neoprene seat covers (TBD)

Last edited:

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
Sliders and bumper are here and ready for paint!

10862241976_2805c893ca_c.jpg

10788304824_3f81db0309_c.jpg

I may be looking to sell the blue Shackle Isolators in the near future so hit me up if you are interested.

UPDATE: 12 December 2013

I have recently changed out the timing belt, water pump and radiator the weekend before Thanksgiving.

I have contacted one of the sponsors on this site and have made an arrangement to get a solid axle swap going. I can't give away too much info as of right now because the build up hasn't started yet, but plans have been made and the build will begin in late December or early January. This new build is going to cost considerably more than originally planned, but I have accepted it.

So far, as seen above, I have purchased Trail Gear Sliders and a front bumper from RLC. I had the bumper made with a receiver hitch up front, winch plate, light tabs, holes for stock fogs, single front loop and custom spots on the sides to fit the stock side marker lights.

This week I have been working on changin up some of the aesthetics of the exterior. Creepy hooked me up with some awesome decals (as usual).

So, off with the blue and many of the stickers:

11214391194_cbc240878d_c.jpg

And on with the new color: Bright-freaking-orange (sorry for the bad cell pic; it's all I could get tonight)

11214395474_f599531e63_c.jpg

11229741543_8f3f0a563f_c.jpg

UPDATE: 21 December 2013

Picked up some tires today. 37x12.5R17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs.

11487132546_71539931f0_c.jpg

Also looking to pick up some of these wheels soon:

t_20130408.levmk6.mgm.xl.jpg

I dropped it off with SteeevO this afternoon, so I am not going to get to see it again until late Jan, early Feb :( But the it's done, this thing is gonna be awesome!! :sure:

Last edited:

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
1/12/14
Finally got around to priming the bumper in my ghetto little paint booth area. Unfortunately I ran out of primer and had to scrounge through my tool box to find another so the primer is white on the inside of the bumper and dark grey on the facing; oh well.

11918576744_f4eff3bddc_c.jpg

Finally got bumper finished.
12126383336_b9d06f8294_c.jpg

And also got everything together for the CB setup as well as my mattress for camping out at Moab.
12125997333_5d1d83c347_c.jpg

UPDATE: 12 February 2014

So the aluminum wheels posted above will not be going on the X. Too much backspacing and they'd probably get trail rashed real quick anyways, so instead we're going with some 17x9 Pro Comp steelies.

pro_comp_97_series_rock_crawler_steel_wheels_hero.jpg

UPDATE: 13 February 2014

SAS has started!

The thread just for the SAS can be found here: http://www.xterranation.org/showthread.php?4808-Gen-1-Xterra-(D22)-Rugged-Rocks-Diamond-SAS

Here it is right before getting chopped up:

index.php

Parts removed (not all of them belong to the X, but most of them):

index.php

Goodbye IFS:

index.php

Hello Diamond axle:

index.php

Frame side link brackets:

index.php

index.php

Last edited:

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
UPDATE: 19 February 2014

More axles, brackets and coilover stuff:

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Brackets all welded up; time for links and almost ready to mount under the X.

index.php

UPDATE: 20 February 2014:

Headers on!

index.php

Links on!

index.php

UPDATE: 24 February 2014

Double sheer pitman arm:

index.php

New TX-10 front output yoke:

index.php

37s mounted on 17" steelies

index.php

UPDATE: 25 February 2014

Fish plates, shock hoops and trackbar bracket in:

index.php

Test fitting new crossmember:

index.php

Last edited:

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
UPDATE: 12 March 2014

So the SAS has been completed! But that doesn't mean there aren't other things that I still need to do to get it ready for GONE.

13116095775_f491fdf9d2_c.jpg

13115934205_4259eee063_c.jpg

13116035353_3169287a2c_c.jpg

13116231774_07c4c20cd3_c.jpg

13116084965_d8b92d3f01_c.jpg

13116070315_11cf47b1e5_c.jpg

13116145973_fed8947015_c.jpg

13115950895_1930922153_c.jpg

The RLC bumper almost fits perfect. The length is just right, I just need to give the ends just a little trim to have more of a diagonal/horizontal angle near the fender well instead of the more straight down angle the end has now.

SAS Xterra:
13116208164_9a1d533dbf_c.jpg

13115923865_cfc8047172_c.jpg

I still need to find a place to install this thing and hook up the air locker:

13116323805_e1ca85819f_c.jpg

Last edited:

yellowx16

Need Bigger Tires
Founding Member
sub'd, this thread is cool. I know for sure that if I had 5000 to spend I would definitely try to go sas. I am not the person to give any real advice on, but I know the calmini sas kit is $1895. however, you might want to check out this article

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t.../129-0906-2002-nissan-xterra-solid-axle-swap/
this guy uses the calmini pathfinder leaf spring sas kit on his x. it's cheaper and a bit more simple it seems like. again I am by no means any sort of authority on this stuff. but if you kept the 33s and used either of the calmini sas kits, I'm pretty sure you could stay under 5k.

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
Thanks for the info! I'm reading up on this as I type this.

The more I think about it and the more I research, I am now, almost immediately, leaning toward going SAS. Can you do an SAS rig that is fully capable of being driven to the trail and back home? That is really my ultimate goal.

Last edited:

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
If I had 5 grand I wouldn't even mess with IFS if you want to flex or go bigger than 33s. You are going to need to regear if you want to run 35s. Find Caspers rig on here, it's "Pepe the little mule" if I remember correctly. He built a fully capable rig that still drives great on the road.

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
That's what I was researching all night was to do a SAS using the Calmini kit. Here is the breakdown I found for it and it just goes way over budget if I do it like I want to.

Calmini SAS Kit: $1875
Calmini Front Sway Bar Kit: $425
Used Dana 44: $150
Front Locker: $1100
Chromoly Axles: $500
Coil Overs: $900
5.13/5.14 Ring & Pinnion (D44 and H223B): $850
Transmission Gears: $1145
Rear Leaves: $240
Rear Shocks: $200
Brake Lines: $100
Front Drive Shaft: $500
Front Skid, Transfer Case Skid and Gas Tank Skid: $420
35x12.5x15 Tires (5): $1150

Total: $9,555

And none of this includes shipping. These prices are pulled straight from AC and Calmini and I am sure there are some small parts I am missing, but this is what I came up with. This does not include the fixes that Casper did with his SAS (DOM steering arm, etc) Am I right on this? I could have sworn I've seen people do these for much less than that, but this is what I am coming up with.

PLEASE tell me I am wrong and there is a way to get the SAS done with coils, with a locker front end, 35s and skids for under $6k! Maybe I have some stuff on here that is not necessary? I would absolutely love to to an SAS, but I want to do it right and not have to worry about it but I have a budget to stick to.

Last edited:

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I am not sure that your prices are correct, I am not sure what it is, but I think you are a little higher than what most people expect. I would say that you could pull a D44 with 5.13s locked on an offroad site for much cheaper than all of what you put up there, that would solve the gears, axle and locker. I would say the same could be found if you wanted to put a D44 rear out of a rodeo on the truck. It would lower your repair bills when you break. Also know that the Calmini kit was really designed to run just 33's. I know that Marcin, a SAS first gen out in CO running 35's, broke the kit. Knowing this, I think when I do my SAS, I am going to run 33's. At least until I find a used set of 35's.

Have you thought about finding used parts over a longer time and extending this project?

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Not sure why you would need to gear the tranny?

Some of these things can be found a little cheaper too... Search pirate4x4.. Someone os always trying to part out a rig...

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
If its also your DD, I would not SAS it. As you've noted, even getting the parts piecemeal, all the things that go WITH the SAS add up....plus, SAS'd rigs are almost never good as DD's, and only those with very short commutes, etc, end up keeping them happy.

You also mentioned you'd have to PAY labor for the welding/cutting and fab work, etc....and those numbers are not in your estimate, just parts. Labor can be more than the parts for some of this stuff.

To fit 35's, you can remove the fenders, BFH back the rears of the front wells and fit them now. Even a 3" BL and the BFH works typically.

Lokka makes a $350 front auto-locker for your R200A...and its a DIYS install, no lash adj etc.

Depending on how far you want to go with the articulation, it might not be worth it to get the Articulator Kit. That kits' great if you will be stopping there, but, if you SAS for example, the front AND rear suspension is going to be completely replaced anyway.

You'd need to look at the travel you want...and THEN plan how to get it.

For example, the Articulator shocks are too short to MAXIMIZE rear travel if you are willing to make new upper/lower shock mounts.

If keeping IFS, the front UCA and the bils are all you need up front.....unless going to a long travel IFS set-up....etc. (At that $ point, the SAS starts to be competitive though)

And so forth.

Food for thought.

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
Well while it is my DD, I don't really drive it that far (about 1 mile a day). And then I'll drive it out to the trails and back. I may have something in the works to do an awesome SAS swap, but I am still working on trying to get it all arranged. If that doesn't work out, then I am pretty open to everything. I checked out that long travel kit; holy cow! I think that would actually end up costing more than a pretty good solid axle swap.

As far as how far I want to go with articulation, I want all of it haha. As much articulation as I can possibly get, so that's why I am scheming to do the solid axle. I'll post up more info on what I'm trying to do when I get all of the details ironed out. Super secret squirrel stuff haha.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
Not with the SAS talk.. BUT! I saw on your list of to dos was the "Recon 10,500 lb Recovery Winch w/ Synthetic Rope"

Have you heard good things about Recon and that winch? I had my eye on the Smittybuilt 8K w/ synthetic rope but for about the same price I could get 2500 more pounds of winch haha. All depending on the quality of said winch ;)

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
A buddy of mine has it and raves about it. He is the only person I know of who has it. I like the price point but I'm also a believer in "you get what you pay for" so I am still up in the air on that one.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
A buddy of mine has it and raves about it. He is the only person I know of who has it. I like the price point but I'm also a believer in "you get what you pay for" so I am still up in the air on that one.

I am a huge believe in you get what you pay for.. but, then again I also believe you can find some really good deals on Amazon so you never know! ;) haha

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
So all of the blue and a lot of the other stickers are gone. I am going in another direction on the aesthetic portion of this build. I'll be sure to post up an update tomorrow.

Oh yeah, SAS BUILD IS ON!!! More details to come! And this isn't going to be your normal SAS build... there wil be something special with this one.

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
That orange pin stripping sickkkkk! haha. How did you do it? Just generic pin stripping or something else?

It's actually vinyl pinstripe tape. I would paint it, but A. I don't have the patience at the moment to do so, B. It matches Creepy's orange vinyl perfectly, and C. I may or may not change my mind later on down the road, and if so, it is easy to change out. I thought about going with black vinyl decals and striping to keep it more "stealthy," but the orange is going to go with what I have coming up in the next couple months.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
That's awesome! I saw something about you said about making custom skids.. Those orange would be nastyyy! I got my skids lime green.. Nothing else on my truck is lime green but I kinda like it haha

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
Well, it will have one of these under the front with a custom 3 link setup with 2.5" coilovers with 14" of travel.

960-cage-012.jpg

The front is going to have an air locker and 5.57 gears; same gears going in the rear. We are looking at 37" tires, probably some MTR Kevlars, on steelies.

As for the rear, it will probably just go to spring-over-axle with the shocks triangulated and attached to a crossmember welded between the frame. I will be leaving the posi in the rear for now. Most likely lots of cutting and grinding ;)

But that's all for now. More info once it starts.

CaptainMorgan_SOS

Need Bigger Tires
Daily driveable rock crawler to begin with and then evolve to be both. I want to start building a camping trailer this summer and from there we will see what I want to do.

With this build, someone else is going to be doing the huge majority of it. There is soooo much custom work and fabrication to be done. There is no kit for any of this, but the guy doing it is planning on making this a kit once it's tested. The trailer I can do all myself (with the help of a buddy's welder). I'd like to build one I could drive a 4 wheeler onto.

Last edited:

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
The reason I ask is tire choice. I have heard great things about the MTRs offroad and have seen how they just mold and form over rocks, however their onroad behavior and life is rather short lived from everyone that I have heard running them. My plan is to build an expo rig but I do believe that I am going to go with the KM2 or General Grabber Red Labels, because I don't want to burn out the tires just getting to the trails.

Those are my two pennies.