Intender build

Intender

Wheeling
Hey guys, I have been signed up here since april but not really been posting much here since I was pretty active over at clubx. I guess I am yet another post nXm convert. The whole event was amazing. The sponsors and event staff really did a great job.

So since I have a build thread already happening over at club X, I will just post a link to it and a few random pics of my truck as it is now.

here is a link to my build http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39722. I never really took any before and after pics, since most people know what a stock X looks like.

Not a whole lot of craziness done to the truck, but I have found it to be more and more capable the more I attempt to push it.

List of current mods
AC 3" suspension lift with AAL
2" diy body lift
15x8 steel wheels
33x1250 Goodyear MTR Kevlars
White Knuckle sliders
Calmini Gas tank skid
Added rear recovery points
Cut the crap out of my front bumper
Harbor Freight 12k winch
Volant intake
Custom 2.5 inch pvc snorkel
Cobra wxstii cb mounted under the radio
3' firestik
Some led lights
clear headlight housings (going HID soon)
Mounted 8" subs under the rear 6x9's

I feel like there is more, but I am too lazy to read through my other build thread
I have the stuff for an efan conversion sitting in my basement, just need to get around to it.

Here is the truck in April at Uwharrie

My snorkel adapter for the volant was one of the last things I did before nxm

And a few shots from nxm

Still a lot of stuff to be done, but I am pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

Intender

Wheeling
I had about 10 minutes of free time between unpacking from nxm and repacking to head to Lake Junaluska for the week. Took the opportunity to clean my windows and slap on a few of my new stickers. One of them is really blurry, but I will get a better shot and replace it when I get back home.
20130923_155208_zps1748cd03.jpg

20130923_155151_zpsa369325e.jpg

20130923_155102_zps3569caaa.jpg

And not sure if it counts as trail damage or not, but after packing up all my stuff at windrock the other day I went to take a shower before hitting the road and my rear view mirror fell off while I was driving to the shower house. Gotta fix that when I get back home.

Truck looks awesome man! Nice build!!I had a blast hanging with you all week at NXM. Hope to see you again on the trails! Make sure and like my FB page so you can catch all the extra photos and vids from this weekend!!

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Hey man, great wheeling with you at nXm. And hope to see you next year.

If like to see your sub install. Is the Volant snorkel adapter the off the shelf part?

One final question. We have the same amount of lift and same size tires. Why does your truck look so much bigger than mine? Lol

I can ask.. First we need to see how the current inventory moves. If things go well then we will start doing more RD

Do you know where you are Dan? Do we need to call you a cab or can you find your own way home?

Intender

Wheeling
Hey man, great wheeling with you at nXm. And hope to see you next year.

If like to see your sub install. Is the Volant snorkel adapter the off the shelf part?

One final question. We have the same amount of lift and same size tires. Why does your truck look so much bigger than mine? Lol

Do you know where you are Dan? Do we need to call you a cab or can you find your own way home?

I have a AAL if the rear, and AC lift up front. I have low profile bump stops in the front with a .8" gap, so a little more than .5 on the stock bumps. The mtr's are a really beefy tire. With the plastic already removed behind the wheel and the body lift and suspension lift I was hitting metal up front sitting still when I tried to turn. I got home and went to town with an angle grinder, and was still hitting the pinch seam when stuffed and the wheel turned so I beat it down with a hammer. I have seen some guys running 33" AT tires with just a body lift not scrub or still have the plastics on and only trim on the plastic and not scrub. I have a 4.75 back spaced wheel so that might be part of the difference, but I was surprised I had to cut so much to keep them from scrubbing just on the road.

The volant adapter is something I made. I pulled the volant out and beat a piece of modeling foam from a craft store down over the intake on the volant and started shaping it. once I had it all trimmed at the hole on the volant I put the volant back in the truck and started shaving it down till it fit inside the fender well. Once that was all good I took a piece of 2.5" pvc about 6" long and and lined everything up to match my snorkel angle and taped it in place with duct tape and went to town with some fiberglass on the whole thing. I did about 3 layers of fiberglass and let it sit for a few days and dry and scrapped all the foam out and pulled the pvc out. After it was good and dry inside and out I put one more layer on the outside, cut all the loose edges off so they were clean and pretty and sprayed about 5 layers of bedliner on it just incase there were any pinhole leaks in it. I put a piece of pvc back in the hole about 2" long just to give it some more support where the clamp was going to go and hooked it all up. Other than that its just lots of caulking so seal everything up and join the adapter to the volant. Sealing up the intake side I got a piece made for bringing pipe out through a shingle roof, and cut the rubber flexible piece out and sandwiched it between the volant and a piece of hdpe (bought a 1/4 hdpe cutting board from walmart for $6). this part was not my idea, I stole it from a guy on another forum, either club x or xterra firma. Honestly the hardest part of the whole project was getting a big enough hole cut in the inner fender to fit the adapter through, and getting the airbox in and out 100 different times around my winch solenoid box.

And the sub install is more trouble than its worth. Its nice having a little bump and still being able to haul some stuff around, but it was a lot of work. But once I cut a 10x14 hole out of the inside of the truck i was dedicated to the job.

Last edited:

Intender

Wheeling
And I will be back next year. Hoping I might be able to get back out that way at least once more before then. Either there or hit up one of the sexterra runs at prentice cooper. I was hoping we would get in that last run on saturday night, but I had no clue it was so late till I got back to the campground from taking tater b out to get some food.

Intender

Wheeling
I ended up taking my kid to a halloween carnival yesterday so I didnt have as much time as I had hoped to work on the truck. I managed to get my air pump mounted in the back and wired up. I used a distribution block off the power wire for my amp to get power for it. For some reason my phone didnt want to focus, so blurry pic will have to do until it gets bright outside again.

20131028_163420_zpse4880704.jpg

I also realized I never put up a pic of the recovery points I won at nxm after I put them on. I am still going to pull them off and give them a good coat of paint, but that can wait till winter. I wanted them on before I ran to URE a few weeks back.

20131028_163721_zpsb1a6ceaf.jpg

Intender

Wheeling
about an extra inch right now. But I didnt have lift shackles. I had stock shackles and AAL from AC. Thats measured to the bottom corner of the back doors. I was sitting around 28" before now I am right at 29". I think some of that will go away once the leaf pack settles. It was curved up quite a bit from the stock shackles being so short. probably lose a bit more if and when I get a rear bumper built. Hoping to start on that sometime in January.

Intender

Wheeling
Well, I got the extended brake line installed today and fixed the abs lines so they wont tear in half (not that it works anway) Turns out the HD bilsteins are useless with the revolvers. They open about an inch and they max out the shocks. I am gonna start saving some money and measureing and modifiying things but hopefully sometime in the next couple of months I will have a new shock setup. Just have to decide how crazy I want to go with the setp. Might just go with some 5100's, or I might splurge and get some 7100's and maybe even do an A style setup (ala tjtj) If i decide to go that crazy I will need to find somebody with some air tools to really make it all work. Right now I am in the planning stage. Not a whole lot is going to get done between now and christmas with the move coming up.

Intender

Wheeling
Well, I ordered an auto locker from Lokka for the front so the shocks will have to wait for a while. As much as I wanted the shocks now, I am afraid that this company will make one run of these lockers and they will disappear. next comes a diff drop and some manual lockers.

Xado89

Skid Plates
Lokka has been around for a bit. Buddy has one on his fronty. He likes it. Good price too.

Sent using highly technical equipment involving satelites and space and nerds.....lots of nerds...

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Nice! Did they give you any additional lift over the standard lift shackles?

Revolvers are about 1.25" longer than the 3" stock shackles, so they give about 2/3" of lift, not very much. Their primary function is not lift, its wheel travel without added height.

Added height raises your COG, and makes you less stable off camber, etc. If you are already high enough to clear things, and/or can't raise the front more to match, the Revolvers are a great way to add articulation w/o rear height.

If you NEED more height from a shackle, Revolvers are not the best choice as they only add ~ that 2/3" or so....but they rock for keeping your rear tires on the ground, and getting more traction from the drooped tire, etc.

The regular lift kit shackles that give 1.5" of lift are ~ 3" longer than stock (~6" eye to eye).

TJTJ

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Well, I got the extended brake line installed today and fixed the abs lines so they wont tear in half (not that it works anway) Turns out the HD bilsteins are useless with the revolvers. They open about an inch and they max out the shocks. I am gonna start saving some money and measureing and modifiying things but hopefully sometime in the next couple of months I will have a new shock setup. Just have to decide how crazy I want to go with the setp. Might just go with some 5100's, or I might splurge and get some 7100's and maybe even do an A style setup (ala tjtj) If i decide to go that crazy I will need to find somebody with some air tools to really make it all work. Right now I am in the planning stage. Not a whole lot is going to get done between now and christmas with the move coming up.

To see where you're at travel-wise: (REAR)

1) Disco the lower shock mounts

2) Jack the rear up watching the extended lower eyes of the shocks rise.

3) See how much higher the shock eyes end up relative to their lower mounts.

4) That difference is how much longer you need them to get to allow full travel.

Note that MAXIMUM shock extension is required when the axle is horizontal, NOT when it is up on one side/drooped on the other.

The next step is to determine how SHORT you need the shocks to get (Compressed length)

This is also measured with the axle flat, and, crushed to the stops....which is harder to do than it sounds, so most of us cheat.

1) At rest/ on flat ground, measure the axle to bump stop gaps on both sides...and the upper to lower shock mount distances that go with it.

2) Then - Get ONE tire up as high as you can with the other drooped. Driving up something at an angle will usually do that for you, if you don't have a fork lift or a tire jack handy, etc.

3) Look at the distance between the axle and the bump stop, and, the upper to lower shock mount distance on the stuffed side. Measure them.

4) Take the distance between the axle/stop, and assume the axle COULD go up by that much if fully stuffed, plus, another inch or so if it crushes the rubber on a harder landing, etc.
IE: If there's 4" left on the gap, the axle could go up another 5" or so...meaning the SHOCK would need to get ~ that much shorter too.

5) Take the stuffed upper/lower shock mount distance, and see what's left for compression. If that lower shock mount will rise about the same 5" as the axle for example, you'd assume that the shock will need to be able to compress down to that shorter length to still fit when stuffed FULLY.
IE: If there's 21" from the upper to lower shock mount, and it has to get 5" shorter, the shock needs to be able to compress down to 16" to not over compress on landings, etc.

6) OPTIONAL - Check the RATIO of the shock length at rest to your compressed measurements (What you actually measured, not the calculated lengths) vs the measurements for the bump stop gaps' RATIO.
IE: The shock is at an angle, the stop's gap to the axle is not. That means the shock mounts get closer to each other at a different rate than the axle gets to the stop. You can skip that check if you want to, but, its more conservative, as the shock mount distances will require less response to axle rise than the stop gap will. (It will calculate out that your shock needs to be slightly shorter than absolutely necessary if you skip that step).

OK - After the above, you will now KNOW how long the rear shocks need to be to allow full droop, and, how short they need to compress to to allow full stuffage/uptravel and not be damaged from over compression.

Note that SOME shocks can be OK when they are limiting travel DOWN - IE: The axle can hang by the shock (HD and 5100 are ok for that, 7100's are NOT, etc - You'd need to check that)

NO shocks are "ok" on over compression, as that can bend the pistons, shear off mounts and/or damage the eyes, etc.

This means that the COMPRESSED length is typically your limiting factor, NOT the extended length.

Frustratingly, it is the extended length that seems to be the easiest spec to satisfy, and the spec we are mostly in search of to not LIMIT the droop...

..But finding a shock that CAN get long enough while ALSO being able to get short enough is the key...and the hard part typically.

This is because the long piston that enables down travel ALSO has to fit back into a BODY....and that body ends up being your bogey.

The theoretical limit is of course that the maximum length would be double the compressed length based upon that...but, by the time you add in the added lengths for the eyes, and, some valving IN the body, etc...you've used up another 4-6" or so depending on the shock itself.

If you do all of the above and find that there are actually shocks made that can get long enough and short enough, you're golden.

(THIS is what you want/hope for)

:D

Plan B -

If not, typically because they can't get short enough, you THEN move the MOUNTS to change the geometry.

The more acute the angle the shock is leaned over to...the longer the distance between mounts, and therefore the more room to fit a longer shock, and the more room to compress it as well.

If you think of the upper shock mount and lower shock mount as two points at the corners of a triangle, and the third point of that triangle as the line dropped straight down to the axle from the upper mount (Forming a right triangle) you can then see the geometry involved.

The line connecting the upper and lower mount is the hypotenuse.

The line dropped down from the upper mount to the axle is the opposite, and the axle, from the lower mount to the point where the line from the UPPER dropped down TO, Is the adjacent.

The squares of the lengths of the opposite and the adjacent add up to the square of the length of the hypotenuse.

So, if you want to know your extended and compressed SHOCK lengths, the SHOCK ends up as your hypotenuse....and you can plug in new numbers for the opp and adj to see what that does to the hyp....until you get a hyp that works.

If you can do the angle related trig, you can plug in angles to do the same thing, etc....except just SOLVE for the answer instead of homing in on it, etc.

:D

Last edited:

Intender

Wheeling
well, the truck ran its last run of the year saturday. My poor harbor freight winch died, so I started a claim on it today and I have to run by the store and see what all I have to remove to get the stuff swapped out. I really dont want to remove my solenoid box because it will take a while to get all the wires pulled out, not to mention none of the wiring is stock. I replaced it with longer and heavier gauge wire than it came with to put my box in the engine bay.

I had a good time with a good group of guys out at URE. Unfortunately my centerlink is completely shot. Its been rough since about march or so, but I had kinda forgot about it. Between nxm and a few trips to URE in the last couple of months its done. The castle nuts on the tie rod ends on both sides are beating the UCA brackets to death and digging into my frame and grooving it on both sides. Went out today and checked out my idler arm and the factory bushings on it appear to no longer exist. The pitman arm doesnt look to be too worn. I think I am going to get the calmini kit. It was what I planned on ordering before, but due to having knee surgery I didnt have the cash at the time, so I just got hd tie rod adjusters.

Intender

Wheeling
I read through the instructions earlier and other than probably having to look up some terminology to better understand exactly what I need to measure it really doesnt look all that involved. I am just hoping I dont have to end up replacing any parts.

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I am very interested to see how this thing works. I would like to get one, but it is very far down the road and that means others will have the chance to see it, use it and tell us what they like and don't like about it.

Can't wait to see/hear about it once it goes in.