2nd Gen Skid Plans

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
These plans are floating around on TNX so I figured I would put them over here as well. These are skid plate plans for Engine Skid, Transmission Skid, Gas Skid and Transfer Case Skid for 2nd Gen's. I believe 3 guys have had them made and haven't had any problems with them. You will have to drill your own holes but Tony (Dephep) recently added the dimensions he used to mount them on his X. If anyone else has any specs or what not, please post em up. On to the plans! I also have the originals saved, they were done in pencil so I edited them for easier viewing and printing. So if anyone needs the originals, let me know.

Engine Skid:
kel2iLZ.jpg

Gas Skid:
9gaKkBX.jpg

Transfer Case Skid:
Szc0ejT.jpg

Transmission Skid:
mhjPM1g.jpg

Here's the plans Tony (Dephep) used and the dimensions on the holes he drilled.
NFjTkui.jpg

01pPcG8.jpg

hNojflV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Here are some examples of these plans actually made:
d6n3KKw.jpg

xK4fYgk.jpg

ondGdU8.jpg

Tony (Dephep) Skids below
xqexpu_zps5a51d8e4.jpg

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
^^^ hahahaha thats hilarious!

Here are some more pic's from Tony's install
kE4JNpq.jpg

vUALN50.jpg

7EAP2EW.jpg

Shrocks skids for comparison:
skids_zps978e9e2c.jpg

obi_krash

Suspension Lift
RESURRECTION!!

Yeah, it's been awhile since this thread came up. But - did Tony ever get a chance to test out these skids? About a year ago I showed the plans shared on TNX to a guy and he . . . sucked. He couldn't wrap his head around them. Anyway, I might have a guy that can make these a thing local, that's why I am asking.

RESURRECTION!!! Again!!
Thank you for putting these up :)
I'm a huge fan of DIY and when somebody is thoughtful enough to throw out plans it's that much easier. Any body else do this or plan on doing this?

Would 1/4" aluminum work?

Last edited:

metzican

Suspension Lift
I know people have thought about doing it. But most people don't have the brake press or tools to do it right. Depending on what you offroad in aluminum could be fine. I know if I was scraping across rocks I would stick with steel. As you loose probably a dollar of aluminum every rock you scrap across.

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
I've got a local metal shop who said they would do all the skids for like $200. But I would have to drill all the holes and everything. I just printed the pictures out and emailed them. The only one that would require fab help is the gas tank skid.

Sent from my couch

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Some folks thought about using HDPE (spelling?) that really thick plastic... Good for lightweight but Idk about how well it holds up. Google it and you'll see plenty of folks have used it. I've thought about it because they are light and I usually only wheel 1-2 times a year.

Sent from my couch

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
I read about one guy using HDPE and it melted around the exhaust. Not so much onto, but you could tell where it was near it

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Some folks thought about using HDPE (spelling?) that really thick plastic... Good for lightweight but Idk about how well it holds up. Google it and you'll see plenty of folks have used it. I've thought about it because they are light and I usually only wheel 1-2 times a year.

Sent from my couch

We use it on our Baja thing (stopped calling it a car). You would have to use some 1/2" plastic and find a way to keep it away from heat sources to prevent it from warping or cracking.

Ditto what Metz said in terms of actual use. They could be made with some redneck/homebrew ingenuity without the need of a welder or break.

And as for aluminum, if you really wanted to use them, to achieve similar properties to steel, which I don't believe the point is in using aluminum in most of these cases, you'd have to use 7075 or so Al. I would stick to steel unless you can present some obvious reasons why Al would be better.

Last edited:
Buddy has a brake that will do 3/16" I can bring the plans use all his stuff. I'm not a crawler but after pulling the factory skids for an oil change I was shocked how lightweight they are.

Forgive my ignorance but the first skid, the radiator skid is not part of these plans or am I missing something? Perhaps not needed. I'm looking at the pictures of them painted green and I see the oil filter hole in the one skid. The pic of the from the frond has a skid coming up to the bumper? Any plans available for that one? Or am I off base.

I'm only planning on a 2-3" lift, bumpers and rack. Adventure trail driving family stuff on 33's but I loathe having known vulnerabilities. I'm fixing them as I read about them and as I can afford. This seems like a good hedge against bad luck and sharp rocks.

Last edited:

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
No, the rad skid would have to be mounted to the bumper and the guy who made them already had a rad skid w/ his shrock so he didn't bother drawing one up.

samuel313

Test Drive
I'll put together some PDF's via PTC tonight when I get off work. Should look pretty good. Models too?

I PM'd GPD605X yesterday about the originals so I could make DXF files and PDF drawings for the skids (hopefully with hole locations). I haven't received them yet, but when I do, I'll draw them up and post them... unless you beat me to it.

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I got an email. It's going to be a bit of trial and error even with the plans. A good weekend project :)

I'm modeling them as we speak. Its a little difficult to dimension some of the angles and holes:
1) Holes don't have a diameter, but that is pretty easily found out by builder/modeler
2) Sorry Dephep, but the hole dimensions on the engine skid aren't really clear. What is that ~4" dimension saying? Again, this is something I could figure out tomorrow.
3) The angles don't have references (especially on the engine skid). So, are those angles from a horizontal surface below the skid or are they referenced off each other?

I'm not trying to bash anyone or sound condescending. I'm just trying to get the best drawing possible before its redistributed. The fewer the assumptions, the better. I currently have the engine. t-case and transmission skid 90% modeled, pending holes.

Last edited:

samuel313

Test Drive
I'm modeling them as we speak. Its a little difficult to dimension some of the angles and holes:
1) Holes don't have a diameter, but that is pretty easily found out by builder/modeler
2) Sorry Dephep, but the hole dimensions on the engine skid aren't really clear. What is that ~4" dimension saying? Again, this is something I could figure out tomorrow.
3) The angles don't have references (especially on the engine skid). So, are those angles from a horizontal surface below the skid or are they referenced off each other?

I'm not trying to bash anyone or sound condescending. I'm just trying to get the best drawing possible before its redistributed. The fewer the assumptions, the better. I currently have the engine. t-case and transmission skid 90% modeled, pending holes.

I'll be honest, the dimensions on the hole locations don't make much sense. It's probably best just to crawl under the truck at this point.
The bend angles are all relative to the preceding section.
Besides the hole locations, the only one giving me problems is the gas tank skid. The top view does not match the driver's side view. It would seem that there is a piece of flat stock running down the skid, but I can't tell where it is supposed to be. My guess is that it runs along the left side of the skid between the front lip and the vertical bolt support.
If I had more time today, I would have pulled the Pro4x skids I have on my truck off and measure the gas tank skid and the hole locations for the transfer case and engine skids.

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Samuel and I are going back and forth over the drawings before we release anything.

EDIT: Release imminent.

Last edited:

samuel313

Test Drive
TheFauxFox and I have drafted the following drawings for the transmission skid, the transfer case skid and the engine skid. We have not made drawings for the gas tank skid or radiator skid at this time. I may take a look at my gas tank skid sometime this week (OEM Pro4x) to verify some dimensions and hope to post the CAD drawing in the near future. I do not have plans to draft a radiator skid at this time.

I am also including DXF files that can be used to CNC cut the platework if you are so inclined. If you have any questions please ask it in this thread.

CAD Drawings Here

We did our best to verify the hole locations, but cannot guarantee the fit on your vehicle.

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
The front portion of the engine skid is the radiator skid. It is suggested that two brackets be made as to be bolted to the frame horns where the recovery hooks would be located. This provides better bracing for the radiator skid-area.

For fun, I contacted a local steel distributor and asked for a quote for them to cut and possibly bend some of these. I got quoted $50 for material and labor on 3/16" steel.

That said, if you have access to a few handy tools, you can bend these yourself with the use of 2-3 c-clamps, some wood, an angle grinder, and a welder.

50$!!! I was at 180$ just for the sheet. I'd have to do all the tracing cutting and bending at my buddies shop. His dad will charge me 30$/hr to use the machines so I'm covered under the insurance in case i decide to do dumb things and lop off a finger.