Tay-Lo's Build - Lots of pics

Tay-Lo

I'm the king of junk food!
Figured since I've had my X for about a year and a half it was about time to start a build thread. I haven't done any "Major" mods yet just little things to help improve the rig in various ways.

Silver 2004 SE 4x4

List of Mods:

Lift:
- 2" Body lift

Interior:
- Shovel and Axe mount on inside of hatch
- LED strip around the edge of hatch
- LED Maglite under drivers seat
- Glass breaker / Seatbelt cutter under back seats
- Custom oh sh*t handles
- Bedliner on the headliner
- Installed CB setup (Mostly for now)
- Factory Sunroof Cover

Exterior:
- Safari Basket
- 3rd tail light cover design
- Factory farring on the rack
- Shrockworks front bumper
- Ironman 4x4 12,000 LB winch
- P&P Level III Sliders

Moar Lighting:
- Deleted - 100w KC daylighters on brushguard
- 2 Ironman 16w LED's on bumper
- Ironman 30" 90w LED bar across the rack
- 2 Ironman 16w LED mounted to the rack bolts on the back
- LED strips underneath for rock lights

LED Swap:
- Interior Dome lights with V-LED's
- Brake Lights with V-LED's
- Red V-LED map lights
- V-LED reverse lights

Electical:
- Alpine head unit
- Cobra 1000w power inverter
- 500 Watt amp with 2 12" subs
- Sea Blue fuse block with 100A circuit breaker
- Optima Yellow Top Deep cycle (Side posts used for accessories)

Misc:
- Resonator Delete
- Swapped the hatch struts to lift it higher
- Tinted front windows and Visor strip
- Fog light bypass
- Bumper Bottle Opener
- Ironman Flo Pro Max Compressor
- Hi-Lift Xtreme

The day I got her.
Still on the lot:

At home with my little 4 banger:

A few weeks later I went on my first adventure on a random dirt road that I found with google maps:

It was all fun until street tires met red clay.....they don't like each other:

The first mod I did was add a pair of 100w KC daylighters:

Decided to get rid of the smiley face covers:

Glass breaker and seatbelt cutter mounted under the rear seats:

Safari Basket:

Axe and shovel mounted: (due to weight during winter the axe goes under the backseats:

Maglite under the driver seat:

3rd tail light:

Handles:

LED strip around the hatch:

Bedlined Headliner:

This is the best pic I could get of it installed:

While I was putting all of the trim back up a little helper wondered over and chilled while watching me:

Notice only half a tail....this kitten has seen some stuff:

CB setup:
4 foot Firestik Firefly
18 foot Firestik coax
Match maker by Firestik (to split the AM FM and CB signals)

I wanted a clean, almost don't notice it's there install that was different from most, I did however get this idea from a guy on CX.

It leans forward a little but that doesn't bother me.
PHOTO_20130928_144619_zpsc686f732.jpg

PHOTO_20130928_160419_zps30c04e69.jpg

and at the bottom I had to "Modify" the plastic a bit.....
PHOTO_20130928_144636_zps0cd22fba.jpg

Not really a mod but my X didn't come with a fairing or Sunroof cover.
I immediately ripped the fabric off the cover.....can't have that stained fabric with the rest of the headliner bedlined

As for most X's this will always be a work in progress.

Last edited:

Tay-Lo

Ironman 16w LED's on bumper
PHOTO_20131209_200756_zpse4f9be6b.jpg

PHOTO_20131209_195954_zps35a45291.jpg

Shrock Bumper
ShrockInstalled1_zps5d5ac25c.jpg

Ironman 12,000 lb winch

S7300180_zpsb53995c6.jpg

S7300181_zps2919c224.jpg

S7300184_zpsfaffa096.jpg

S7300185_zps3bc4eb00.jpg

S7300187_zpsfe33d98f.jpg

The front end of the X is squating down cause its right before the winch pulls it with the brakes on......and yes I am very happy
S7300186_zpsac93db37.jpg

Ironman 30" 90w
PHOTO_20140108_143701_zpsc09ff7c6.jpg

Bumper Bottle Opener

PHOTO_20140125_110803_zpsbd4g9lgl.jpg

PHOTO_20140125_111445_zpszmjrfehz.jpg

V-LED Brake Lights (Left is LED right is incandecent)

S7300210_zps29c739d2.jpg

Ironman Flo Pro Max Compressor.
150 PSI
160 LPM
PHOTO_20140225_223230_zpsvkzcp0ep.jpg

Finally put on the rest of my rock lights.....I'm pretty happy with how it turned out....just need to add a switch to have them on whenever I want.
S7300224_zpsf663861a.jpg

Mounted and wired 2 more Ironman pods
2014-09-17 19.49.29_zpsckpxibfu.jpg

Nighttime
20140918_201559_zpskmh3mvcn.jpg

DAY TIME!!!!
20140918_201720_zpszxnwnx7l.jpg

Last edited:

Tay-Lo

I'm planning on doing that led mod.. Very killer

Thanks! I wired mine into the dome light so it comes on when the doors open...very helpful.

I dig them handles. How hard was that?

It was pretty easy, the hardest part was getting the lengths right, which I don't remember off the top of my head. If you can make the cobra bracelets you can make these, if not look them up on youtube and practice a bit then you'll be able to. I think the main cord was like 70" and the blue was 40".

CrazySteve911

Need Bigger Tires
Gotcha, I'll play around with it. I love paracord. Soon as I can find some khaki colored cord ima wrap my steering wheel.

I think a PML is in order.

Tay-Lo

I'm thinking that or a 2" BL before to long when I have the spare change. Need to get some BFG AT tires first though.

CrazySteve911

Need Bigger Tires
Well, I personally dont support BL's as I dont like the look, but they do serve a pretty big purpose if you want to fit 33's with no cutting.

Last edited:

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I would get a lift first but my tires are almost completely bald and one has a nail in it, it doesn't leak so I'm afraid if I get it pulled out it'll cause problems.

So get lifted, sooner.

Sorry wallet, mods need to be done, you can recover later.

I do have to say that the lift didn't look like much when I did it because I have "small" tires on my truck right now. I am about to pull them off, shoot me a PM and maybe we can work something out to where you can buy my old tires (still like 30% tread at least) and if nothing else we can keep you rolling (until you get the lift :kewl:)

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
The kit is a waste of money for the 1st gen trucks. Buy the pucks and bolts. Re drilling the rear bumper is free and I think I spent $6 on 2x2" brass nipples and washers to lift the front bumper. Super easy.

Tay-Lo

The kit is a waste of money for the 1st gen trucks. Buy the pucks and bolts. Re drilling the rear bumper is free and I think I spent $6 on 2x2" brass nipples and washers to lift the front bumper. Super easy.

Shoot if I end up doing a BL I'll just do that then. Thanks for the heads up.

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
It looks awesome, I have to say a bit better than mine, only because you used the roll on.. If I ever get around to doing it again, that is the way that I will go with it.

Tay-Lo

It looks awesome, I have to say a bit better than mine, only because you used the roll on.. If I ever get around to doing it again, that is the way that I will go with it.

Thanks! It was easier than I expected, the hardest part for me was getting it in and out, scraping was easy it just took a bit of time. Since you already have the spray on there you'll probably only need 1 thick coat, which means you'll have left over to paint other parts with!!

CrazySteve911

Need Bigger Tires
Thanks! It was easier than I expected, the hardest part for me was getting it in and out, scraping was easy it just took a bit of time. Since you already have the spray on there you'll probably only need 1 thick coat, which means you'll have left over to paint other parts with!!

Always fun seeing bedlined headliners. Whenever my headliner starts falling or when i run out of mods (yeah right) ill do it. That or a custom fabric.

Still looks nice. What brand did you use?

Tay-Lo

Added pictures of my CB antenna in the OP. I'll eventually get pictures of the rest of the install once I finish it....still need to tune the antenna and put the splitter on.

Tay-Lo

UPDATED!!!!!

Added pics to the OPs for:
Shrock Bumper
2 Ironman 16w LED's
Ironman winch

Pics start on the 2nd post.

Tay-Lo

About time man! Looks great though! I am jealous of the winch....I want one

Thanks....you should go get one.....but you might need to get different bolts to mount it to the bumper....Mine were to short so it added like an extra hour since we kept trying to use them the had to go to 3 different places to get 4 longer ones.....

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Sweet rig man! I got a question about your headliner removal since you also have a sunroof.

Was the weather stripping around the sunroof a PITA to get off and put back on? I haven't tackled removing mine yet because frankly I'm a little scared I'll mess something up. The only complete write up for a removal I've seen was a non-sunroof and even then it made it sound a little challenging. However, mine is sagging worse than... well, it's sagging bad and I need to do this soon.

Tay-Lo

Sweet rig man! I got a question about your headliner removal since you also have a sunroof.

Was the weather stripping around the sunroof a PITA to get off and put back on? I haven't tackled removing mine yet because frankly I'm a little scared I'll mess something up. The only complete write up for a removal I've seen was a non-sunroof and even then it made it sound a little challenging. However, mine is sagging worse than... well, it's sagging bad and I need to do this soon.

Nah it was easy...possibly the most simple part, just peel the stripping off (I left it sticking up just out of the way). When taking it in and out having a buddy help is the best thing, its big and awkward and you have to kinda work it back if you don't take the trim completely off. After getting it out I pulled the fabric off and most of the foam stayed.....which turned out to be a good thing....I took an ice scraper and used short strokes causing the foam to basically roll off and came off cleanly....you might want to give it a shot with the fabric still on. After that just give it a good sanding then a moist rag to wipe up the dust.

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Nah it was easy...possibly the most simple part, just peel the stripping off (I left it sticking up just out of the way). When taking it in and out having a buddy help is the best thing, its big and awkward and you have to kinda work it back if you don't take the trim completely off. After getting it out I pulled the fabric off and most of the foam stayed.....which turned out to be a good thing....I took an ice scraper and used short strokes causing the foam to basically roll off and came off cleanly....you might want to give it a shot with the fabric still on. After that just give it a good sanding then a moist rag to wipe up the dust.

Right on, thanks for the advice. I'm excited to see how it'll turn out with black bedliner up there.

Tay-Lo

Got the mount for my light bar but still need to bedline it when it gets warm enough......

PHOTO_20140108_143637_zpse69c046b.jpg

PHOTO_20140108_143701_zpsc09ff7c6.jpg

PHOTO_20140108_203532_zpsbec48839.jpg

I'm so glad I found a sunroof cover at a junk yard.....even with it a good bit of light comes in around the edges.

Tay-Lo

Obligatory comparison pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Low Beams
PHOTO_20140111_191309_zps510d3651.jpg

Low beams + 16w Ironman LEDs
PHOTO_20140111_191251_zps2e4ca733.jpg

Low Beams + 16w LEDs + 30" LED Bar
PHOTO_20140111_191244_zpsab2014eb.jpg

And of course just the 30" LED Bar!!!
PHOTO_20140111_191320_zps84544420.jpg