Red Dragon

TomsRedX

Bought an X
Founding Member
It all started back in 2003. We needed a family truckster and decided on a new Harvest Gold Xterra. Sorry, no pics of it. Then along comes the 2005 Xterra. In march of 2005 we traded in the '03 for a new Red Brawn 6peed. Loved the new found power and redesign. Never did any major mods to it though. Just a set of General Grabber AT2's in 285-75-16.

RCwater.jpg

100_2781.jpg

It survived my daughter learning to drive and me doing countless burn outs. Until 6-23-2010. My 2 daughters were on the way to a carnival when an old lady decided she didn't need to stop at a red light.

100_2858-1.jpg

100_2859-2-1.jpg

So with 168,000 miles on the faithful X, it was laid to rest. Sad day indeed. The girls were a little banged up and bruised but still went to the carnival.

The search was on for the next Xterra. As luck would have it, a GMC dealer about 30 min. away had one on their lot. It just happened to be Red Braun and a 6 speed mt and an Off Road! SCORE!! A week later it was mine.
DSC_0004.jpg

Let the Mods begin!

First up was some sliders. Working at a quarry provided me with some drill steel used to drill the rock for blasting. Perfect for my needs. Got a set of frame brackets from NX Rocks and some 2 inch box steel and had them welded up.
100_2863.jpg

100_2867.jpg

Going up! Started with 2.0 radflow's with 650# springs, 3" AAL from 4x4 Parts, PRG shackles, 5125 Bils. and SS extended brake lines.
100_2905.jpg

Got some OBX shorty headers, Magnaflow 2 in 1 out muffler and a BTF diff cover.
100_2988.jpg

100_2999.jpg

Added some rear lights. Started with Hella FF75's then switched to KC 517's
100_3077.jpg

100_3175.jpg

As it sits today.

lineup.jpg

thetrench.jpg

trench.jpg

100_9872-1.jpg

hillclimb2.jpg

hillclimb-1.jpg

I also did a fender mod on a boulder at Rausch Creek.
damage.jpg

Got a front tube bumper, then added a winch to it.

Tubebumper2.jpg

100_3202.jpg

100_3204.jpg

100_3206.jpg

Built a cargo rack for the back. The top bar folds down, makes it easier to get the crap in and out.

IMG_0042.jpg

couple shots from the Cinco De Shocker run.

101_0013.jpg

101_0028.jpg

Suspension:
Front
2.0 Radflows with 650# springs
PRG Upper control arms
Camber bolts
SS extended brake lines

Rear
Alcan springs with 3" lift and 350# over stock capacity and orbit eyes.
Radflow emulsion shocks 3" - 5" lift.
Timbren bump stops
SS extended brake lines

Tires
285/75/16 Dafinity Dakota MT's for wheeling
265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm's for daily driving

Other goodies
Xoskel light cage (won at NXM) with Hella 500's
Custom tube front bumper with Engo 10,000 lb winch and synthetic line.
Custom cargo rack
Rear KC 517 floods on a 3 way switch
OTRATTW switches
Blue Sea fuse block
Cobra 29LTD CB and 3' Firestick
Hood rod mod (may be the best mod ever)
Duplicolor Bedlined bumper, grill, rockers and hood

On order
Icon 2.5 front shocks
Shrock rear bumper with tire rack.

Last edited:

Roadwarrior

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
That second to the last picture, the one of you coming out of that hole, or up the hill is sick nasty. I remember when your first X was totalled, and I felt bad, but after seeing the new one (and that no one was hurt) I know that you are happier with this. I can't wait to see what you do with this one.

TomsRedX

Bought an X
Founding Member
Thanks. the pic is a hill climb, the one above it is the same spot.

I am going to get a tube bumper and volant intake in a couple weeks.

TomsRedX

Bought an X
Founding Member
Macland, I just removed the stock bolt, got a longer one and used an over sized nut and a couple washers as spacers to get the bracket high enough to clear the rack mount, pretty easy.

Thanks Rat, I've bashed the sliders pretty hard a few times and they have some scratches but no dents.

civicjoe

lone wolf mod
Founding Member
ok dude Reverse lights for the WIN, where the how to? I saw the simple run down, but thats something that should be shared!

NismoFire

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Ditto on the reverse lights write-up.

The reason your daughters weren't any worse for the wear- XTerras are TANKS. They may be top heavy, but they're tough.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Are you not worried about over heating in the summer? Looks like it needs a few holes out front...

Getting beastly Tom

TomsRedX

Bought an X
Founding Member
Thanks.

Dave, I think enough air will get to the rad from the sides, its pretty open. If not, holes will be made. I don't think Ben had any problems.

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
I said it on TNX and I'll say it here- your new bumper is drool-worthy! Tube bumper FTMFW! And yes, I am very jealous. Your rig is simply very pretty to look at. :-D

civicjoe

lone wolf mod
Founding Member
Yup really like that new bumper does it weight a truck load? It's be nice to find one that it's not super heavy

Sent from The Nighthog Central Command Center

civicjoe

lone wolf mod
Founding Member
Wow that's great, I might need to get some detailed photos from you down the road.

Sent from The Nighthog Central Command Center

TomsRedX

Bought an X
Founding Member
Dropped the spare tire tonight getting ready to wheel tomorrow, noticed some oil on the tire. The dreaded leaky pinion seal, wonderful.

TomsRedX

Bought an X
Founding Member
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

My dad and I made a cargo rack for the back of the X. 3/4 inch steel with a 1/4 inch plywood deck. Still have some work to do on it but prolly wont do much till spring.

img_0042.jpg

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
HAhaha, you have junk in the trunk!! :p

Yeah, mine is loaded up with lots of stuff, too. Better to be more prepared than not enough. Good looking rack (tehehe).

Kris&HerX

Bumpers Installed
Founding Member
I remember you ( mostly because of the pics of the wreck, but ya know) glad to see you sporting the Xterra love. That thing is looking pretty nice! Can't wait to see what else you have in store.