The XTerrance ("Calliope's Revenge")

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
The XTerrance ("Calliope's Revenge"/"The Draggin'") - Tire carrier is done!

Username: ThePlasticOne

Make: Nissan
Year: 2010
Model: Xterra
Trim: SE
Color: Silver Lightning

Mileage: 51000

CURRENT MODS

Powertrain & Drive components:

• Rear differential breather extension (01/13)
  • AMSOIL Ea filter (02/13 - thanks va06nissan!)
  • Stant locking gas cap (07/13 - thanks T100Trucker!)
  • Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 285/70-R17 (09/13)
  • EBC Greenstuff 6000 rear brake pads (07/15)
  • Stillen Metal Matrix front brake pads (12/15)
  • Raybestos Advanced Technology front rotors (12/15)

Suspension:

• Old Man Emu NitroCharger 607 coilovers, rear shocks, Dakar leaf packs with shims (01/13 - thanks rcheliman, rcheliman's friend Paul, and MainerX!)
  • Rear sway bar deleted (08/13)
  • NissTec adjustable rear shackles (10/13 - thanks Ricel and c3po!)

Exterior:

Interior and Electrical:

• Title received (08/10)
  • Lightspeed and Plaid gears (03/11)
  • Passenger ejection button (03/11)
  • Proton torpedo launcher (a.k.a. Switch for Nefarious Purposes) (03/11)
  • Acu*Rite Indoor/Outdoor Temperature Gauge (05/11, removed 04/12)
  • CRUSH KILL DESTROY (08/11)
  • OEM Autodimming Mirror with Compass and Temp (04/12 - Thanks jerseyparts!)
  • V-LEDS festoon bulbs (12/12)
  • Silly (cheap, almost useless) Smittybilt clinometer (01/13)
  • Raingler MIXN Mini Ceiling Net (02/13 - thanks dhyde79!)
  • Mirror mounted fog/turn signal combo lamps (01/13) removed 09/15 and replaced)
  • Xoskel Bumper Mouth Light Bracket (02/13 - thanks NEXTerra and rcheliman!removed 09/15)
  • Rigid Dually Flood lights with green optical covers (02/13 - thanks civicjoe!) RELOCATED 09/15)
  • Superbrightleds super duty LED bars with custom cages (04/13)
  • Accent/clearance lighting (04/13)
  • Midland 75-822 CB radio with 2' Firestick to Firering (thanks ryandavenport!), HD spring, quick disconnect
    (08/13 - thanks snowtrout for the battery holder!)
  • Utili-track fire extinguisher and shovel mount (08/13)
  • Blue Sea fuse box (08/13)
  • Backup beeper (08/13)
  • Raptor Automotive/Metra Electronics 15" amplified FM antenna
  • GLOWIES!
  • Wolo Big Bad Max installed in roof basket (11/13)
  • Lazy Bones Interior Rack (01/14)
  • iJDMToy LED reverse light bulbs (06/14)
  • Nilights LED backup lights (10/14)
  • Mirror-mounted LED bars (09/15) (replacing turn signal lamps)
  • Relocated Rigid Duallys to hood mount from bumper mouth (09/15)

Armor:

• Hefty Fabworks Engine Skid (03/12)
  • New bumper with RockyMtnX rear recovery brackets and shackles (06/12 - Thanks rcheliman, dave99w, and RockyMtnX!)
  • Hefty Fabworks Radiator Skid (08/12 - Thanks rcheliman!)removed 10/15
  • Hefty Fabworks NXRocks gas tank skid (09/12 - Thanks rcheliman!)
  • Custom White Knuckle sliders (10/12)
  • BoonDox-style recovery bracket tire carrier/"bumper" with backup sensors (10/13 - thanks BoonDox, chettacheez, and RockyMtnX!)
  • Shrockworks C200k rear differential cover (10/13)
  • Hefty Fabworks Transmission Skid (01/14)
  • Hardcore Offroad Front Bumper, hawse fairlead (10/15)

Upcoming Mods:
[*]Radflo 2.0 coilovers with 1" spacer
[*]Volant CAI (thanks Ripper!), awaiting new MAF gasket

Secondary Goals:

• Utili-Track swap to unistrut
  • Drop-in roof basket
  • PIAA Superior Bass horn
  • Modular snorkel system
  • Hefty T-case skid

Dreaming about:

• Complete repaint to a nice olive drab

Replacement List:

• Battery terminals replaced 06/13 (stretched out, caused intermittent power loss)
  • 3rd frame member to be replaced (broken weld nuts)
  • 4th frame member to be replaced (general trail carnage)

Recovery List:

• Recovered by: Bass4Runner, 07/08/13
  • Recovered: Bass4Runner, 07/08/13
  • Recovered by: rcheliman, 07/21/13
  • Recovered by: DirtySocks, 08/17/13
  • Recovered by: Bass4Runner, 02/09/14
  • Recovered by: DirtySocks, 02/09/14
CURRENT PHOTOS

20151121_153758.jpg

Lego Version:

8446243402_ed1ee5c588.jpg

Featured on 2013 ECXC shirt:
mf04.jpg

Mark 1:
73246_1490421300552_5361123_n.jpg

Last edited:

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
How often do you keep your tire on your roof rack or do you have 2 spares? If no two spares, I think you should come up with some creative compartment under the hatch for awesomeness. I have faith in your abilities to come up with something awesome-like. :)

I appreciate your colorful highlights on the X.

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
I used to put the tire on the roof just for wheeling, but that got old and with all the stuff I keep putting on the roof rack it was feeling a little unsafe (even though I strapped the hell out of it). Lately I've been clearing out my cargo area for the wheel before each outing. I'm actually coming up with ideas for a drop-down tire carrier that mounts on top of BoonDox recovery brackets (like BoonDox himself has, but drop-down rather than swing-out).

AZhiAZiAM

Suspension Lift
i dig how you used teal... that was on the of reason's i wanted a white x was to use that color, nice and rare good work o nthe truck!

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
So here's my general plan for 2013.

For the front, my Dually Dam (as described in this thread) and yellow fog lights in the bumper mouth. The fogs are mostly for looks, so I'm going to go the frugal route and get this and remove the lights from the housing (maybe upgrade the bulbs). I'll do my own bumper mouth bracket.

And here's the back

Drop-'n-swing tire carrier as seen here, welded on top of my recovery tabs. License plate relocated to the swing arm, with a 6"-12" light bar in the license plate well. Then I'll finally wire up my auxiliary brake/turn signals on the roof.

So that's the major stuff. Somewhere in all of that I'm going to fit in some adjustable shackles and maybe 1/2" or 1" spacers up front, then it's time for Duratracs!

Thoughts?

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
They're 17s, and they came on my X! Those rims are pretty rare, as they were only available on two model years in the US (I think they still have the SV in Canada).

There is a set of 4 up for sale over on TheNewX, hop on it if you want them.

Last edited:

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Happened to have my camera on me and the time of day was juuuust right, so I did a few glamor shots around the Sam Adams Brewery next to my house:

If only I had the time to run my roof light power...

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
End of summer update:

New rear badge off a vintage Nissan:
9564380903_a964dbc28c_z.jpg

More Gremlin Graveyard wheeling:
9564372869_3cde60d5ca_z.jpg

9567160920_e050978d76_z.jpg

Pics by firedawg225

Swaybar delete:
bhz0.jpg

ge4f.jpg

(Insert obligatory middle-finger-at-offending-part pic)

Spent two hours trying to break bolts, took five minutes to just cut the thing off.

Entered a car show with some NEXTerra friends:
IMG_2415_zps5b6690b1.jpg

IMG_2416_zps8afa4883.jpg

Pics by Fiachra

And finally, an older pic featured on this year's ECXC shirt:
mf04.jpg

Tire carrier is in progress, waiting on some parts.

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Been busy!

Made this little switch box for my backup beeper (yes, I have one now) and whatever other switches are coming up next. It's currently painted black just to keep it from rusting; once I've filled it up with switches I'm going to sandblast the paint off and clear coat the bare steel:
bflc.jpg

Also figured this would be a good place to put a CB clip:
fhhu.jpg

Been running a lot of wiring. Got my Blue Sea fuse box good to go:
08c3.jpg

And nearly five months after I put them on the truck, my roof lights finally light up!
i2og.jpg

(Nights shots, of course, will happen when it gets dark)

Along with my bumper mouth Rigids they're properly relayed to generic Daystar/Contura switches:
9iu0.jpg

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Got my extended recovery brackets from RockyMtnX since BoonDox seems to be MIA, which means I can now start on my tire carrier!

New extended recovery brackets test-fitted with some steel laid on top to mock it all out:

0r5t.jpg

7o9w.jpg

The rear-most tube will be 4"x2" to make it line up with the top of the bumper step (and to fully support the double-shear bracket that will be in the mail soon). Bracket will be face-mounted.

I am allowing for a bit of lip on the brackets for the swing arm to sit on top of:
qry7.jpg

Quick and dirty departure angle check. Currently sitting just above 30 degrees, which will improve when I get my 33s on. Just gotta make sure the spare doesn't sit too low.
9dik.jpg

"Spare" mockup (actually a 30" circle traced from my current spare; tabs stapled on will let me Photoshop it to a more accurate size):
vfw0.jpg

Plan is for something like this:

Orange represents primary "bumper" (4"x2") with a Comp4x4 face mount dual shear hinge. Swing arm (2"x2") is in blue. Note the light blue plates on top of the arm, which will overlap the "bumper" and allow the tire arm to sit closer to the hatch as well as providing downward support. Latches are in red - one handle-type latch on each end plus a pop pin on the driver side (I believe in redundancy). License plate will get relocated to line up with the Gobi ladder, while in its place will be a Totron light bar (as illustrated here).

Black dots represent a backup sensor system, because why the hell not (also, dense city living).

Further goals include a small flush mount warning strobe and/or illumination strips on both sides of the tire end of swing arm, triggered by a magnetic switch on the arm itself, which will activate when I open the arm.

My hinge should be here Monday, as will the last of the steel. Basic assembly should be done by the end of the week, then it's on to electronics and gusseting the hell out of everything. Not sure if I want to powder coat it yet.

05x4x4

First Fill-Up (of many)
Man, this is almost identical to what I did, I hope it turns out as well for you.

The only thing I wish I would have done was to extend the passenger side where the hinge mounts farther out towards the corner, so I have more usable space on the swing. If you do it narrow like the hinge right outside the recovery bracket you won't be able to use half your swing.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Due to significant shipping delays on some key components, I haven't made a lot of progress. I have basically only radiused the swing arm with a hole saw:

g7ou.jpg

37p9.jpg

4iri.jpg

Hinge should finally be in tomorrow so I can get that tacked on, then the primary tube will be arrive by Monday. Expecting to get it all tacked, fitted, and welded by this time next week.

And if you're wondering why I drilled where I did...this is why we measure twice :)

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Main tube welded:
mtu4.jpg

6hn6.jpg

And capped:
qpqw.jpg

Swing arm and hinge welded on:
tm1p.jpg

And that's as far as I got today (didn't have the energy to test-fit). Next step is to clean up, drill a bunch of holes to run wiring, install latches, and paint.

I may wait to fit the arm assembly until I actually have 33s.

I don't think I've ever seen a pic of an X with the bumper removed and hatch down, so here you go:
5w3h.jpg

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Duratracs!

And now I am quite broke.

Tire carrier continues to progress, no recent pics. Just working on getting all the major components assembled, I'll do the fancy electronics another time. Should be painted by the end of the week.

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Inching closer to done:

bn6j.jpg

bryp.jpg

Coating with VHT All Weather Epoxy paint, thinking about bedlining over it. Should have the main portion installed this weekend, swing arm itself still needs some work.

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Well, it hurts right in the gas mileage. Watched mine dip to 6mpg today (granted it was on the trip computer which is no longer accurate, AND I reset it in the middle of rush hour - went back up to 10 later on in the day. I was getting 12 on the old Long Trails.). But I actually love the noise they make, and the extra clearance is nice.

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Moment of truth...

uqq2.jpg

iieh.jpg

1ijw.jpg

Hatch clears with miles to spare. Did run into some little issues though.

Since it was raining today, I couldn't bring the welder out to the truck for final positioning, so I tacked it inside and fitted it out.

tzhr.jpg

May have lost just a hair of departure angle. I can resolve that by rewelding the carrier arm closer to the hatch, maybe up to an inch closer with a good gusset underneath (that's as far as I dare go given the cantilever design). The tire does look a little far away from the hatch as well, but I think the depth should be right on par for a 33". I was also going to put on some lift shackles anyway, so I'm not too worried about it.

m3y4.jpg

My original measurements, even accounting for a 33" tire, were evidently way off. While the arm is placed perfectly for the spare 30.5", it needs to be moved slightly toward the center to accomodate the eventual 33".

I had to do a few other things at the shop so I didn't have as much time as I would have liked today. So, tomorrow, cutting and rewelding. Hopefully it's a nicer day so I can do it right on the truck. Then finishing and painting. I left it on the truck (coated in anti-spatter which should prevent rusting in the rain) because it just looks so right otherwise!

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
That looks like a good start. And I'm super impressed by people's ability to just make stuff out of metal.

I do however have some constructive criticism. When you relocate to the center more for the 33, suck it in as well. Get that tire as close as you can to the hatch. The angle is perfect. Don't loose that. But I think it needs to be a lot closer.

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
It's done*!
3qcz.jpg
Check out the new gusset on the swing arm, which mirrors the line of the rear window. When the new paint on the primary tube fully cures a week from now, I'm going to bedline over it so the satin swing arm stands out more. I'm going to put an Xterra badge or decal on the gusset to really make it pop, I'm really pleased about it.
akov.jpg
Distance to hatch is now just right.
ty1z.jpg
And it's not going to block my brake light anymore! I'm currently leaving the license plate where it is, since I like that I can still use my Gobi ladder with the arm closed. *However...
mo0u.jpg
My $20 backup sensors work wonderfully, but both driver-side sensors are detecting the tire as an obstacle, which defeats the purpose of having the sensors there in the first place. When I upgrade it to a 33, it will also cover the sensor directly below it. So at some point (I'm kinda over working on this thing right now) I'm going to have to raise the tire carrier arm an inch or so and maybe tilt the tire back even more. But for now, I've disconnected the driver side sensors and I'll just have to learn to park with the tire sticking out. My cargo area is soooo much emptier now. On to the next project!

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
Got bored today, so I did some quick idea mockups. Gonna see about refreshing my X for 2014. These are all based on old pics so the front end, tires, and rear bumper aren't up to date.

Firstly, inspired by all the latest Viggs installs, I'm thinking about getting one and redoing my bug guard so it's all silver instead of matching the current blackout.

Secondly, replacing my air dam with one that doesn't have holes in it, and remounting my roof lights on Offroad Gorilla mounts, either cantilevering them (i.e., hanging from the single mounting bolt) or fabricating mounts on the inboard sides that bolt into the replacement air dam.

Maybe doing some more with the mirrors, possibly even the back (would likely be a wrap versus Plasti-dip). And I think green sliders would be a bold look.

Inspired by the Renault DCross.

425097Renault-DCross-Concept-3.jpg

Thoughts?

ThePlasticOne

First Fill-Up (of many)
A few random updates.

My re-Dipped wheels are poppin':
13982892033_68f9b19b90_z.jpg

I also had an idea for a roof "rack" today.

10404355_10202075159380566_8976359045039391171_n.jpg

(Suuuuper rough sketch, I just wanted to post this...)

More of a platform than anything else - the goal is to be able to transport sheets of wood, metal, etc. on something better than two pieces of unistrut across the rails. Also a neat way to do some 360-degree lighting. Probably going with the idea of leaving the inside open or having minimal internal supports so I can drop a basket into it/on top of it in the future. Almost working with a similar idea to Flyfish's rack, rest him.

If I were to push it further than the current design, I'm thinking a single-row LED bar facing front, and either shovel/hi-lift mounts on either side, or moar single row LED bars (or some compromise between). Nothing in the back, as I'm still wanting a lightbar inside my bumper instead of on the hatch. And likely footman loops everywhere, I have a bag of them just sitting around.

maillet282

If you bleeding, Imma fix you
how about something similar to a Dephep rack, attaching all of the brackets for the lights to the bottom cross pieces on the sides that way you get best of both worlds by having all the lights in the world up there. youhave a place for a hi lift and shovel, and you can still transport lumber and steel on the roof ( and still protect the actual roof of the X while your at it )