Edo's Rig Build List

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
I'm wanting to do a custom state license plate.

I just can't think of something worthy of putting on the X.

Got 8 characters you can work with.

Any ideas anyone?

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
So uh. Once this is done. Anyone want to purchase a 4.6L? I'll have plenty of info on how it needs to be installed.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
::carefully considers your offer::

I'm interested in how you work out the bellhousing/transmission issues. Are you 5-speed as well? From everything I've read, the transmission can take the power as its the same one that is in the Z32. It just needs a clutch that can handle the load.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
You have a second one sitting around?

I think if you did a write up on it, then the interest would go through the roof. Especially if it goes smoothly.
Yup. Hence the picture of one in the bed and one in the truck. (I don't think I posted both here. Just on book-of-faces.)
::carefully considers your offer::

I'm interested in how you work out the bellhousing/transmission issues. Are you 5-speed as well? From everything I've read, the transmission can take the power as its the same one that is in the Z32. It just needs a clutch that can handle the load.

Going 5 speed. Gotta love that feeling. I'm using the truck transmission. Trans I believe is a M5OD-R2.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
Does that mean the Ford transfer case also?
Yup. Flange front and rear slip. Thankfully unlike 'most' Ford transfer cases this one has a speed sensor on the output shaft.

My 97 F250 uses a tone ring in the rear axle like other fords.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
Still not sure about the placement of the shifters. I'd want to use the Nissan ones.

Because I don't wanna be like a trucker with the shifter above the dash.

I want to keep the inside as untouched as possible. Make it look and seem stock when you sit inside.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
That's going to be the challenge. In order to use the factory transfer case linkage, the new transfer case needs to operate the same way and have the linkage in the right location. I can tell you right now that you can't use the factory shifter from the X. The base is very different from anything else on the market. But. With the new transmission being from a Ford, it shouldn't be a problem to get a shifter that is an appropriate height. Just might take some fiddling. Which you're going to have to do anyway.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
That's going to be the challenge. In order to use the factory transfer case linkage, the new transfer case needs to operate the same way and have the linkage in the right location. I can tell you right now that you can't use the factory shifter from the X. The base is very different from anything else on the market. But. With the new transmission being from a Ford, it shouldn't be a problem to get a shifter that is an appropriate height. Just might take some fiddling. Which you're going to have to do anyway.
Yeah. I figured the linkage wouldn't work. I was hoping the locations would be close enough that I could still come up and use the factory boots and knobs.

The 4wd one (Ford) has a shorter throw than the Nissan one. And if I shorten the gear shift on the transmission it should in theory shorten the distance of the throw as well.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
Came up with a bit more info on gear ratios.

Xterra Manual
FS5R30A
1st: 3.58:1
2nd: 2.07:1
3rd: 1.36:1
4th: 1:1
5th: 0.81:1

Ford Manual (Mazda)
M5OD-R2
1st: 3.90:1
2nd: 2.25:1
3rd: 1.50:1
4th: 1:1
5th: 0.80:1

Not much of a change on 4th and 5th.
Look at the deeper 1st -3rd though, that alone should wake the Xterra up out on the trails.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
If only the V6 was sitting beside this one. This thing looks crazy wide.

f01f422fdcbbbdd5deb65530c9852e20.jpg

f13c1b6beaf7511c5777f18c7362b258.jpg

Not much to mention today. Pushed the truck up to the garage so I could get the engine out of the bed. Pulled intake and a few other items off.

Cleaned the intake areas on the heads down and cleaned up the exhaust ports.

5 total broke off in the exhaust side that I've got to fight out. 4 of them were already broken. Hopefully they won't actually be too bad to get out.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
A green intake? Is it the right shade?
Yeah. It's actually a bit darker green but it is actually so close you can't even tell unless you really study it.

I'm toying with the idea of painting other parts.

May just leave the rest of it alone and clean it all up.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
Finally worked the transmission out of the Ford. I may have struck a small issue here...

6cf803539b5d1a66d41d447c50a37ba7.jpg

ad4a699f8e2af9a3cfea37133ee04c63.jpg

I think it may be too long.
I'm going to have to check lengths this weekend. I'd say my issue will be the Calmini cross member that holds the radius arms (axle links). My current setup is just about on top of it now.

Last edited:

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
I was kind of worried about that. Which is why I think the way to go is going to be a adapter bellhousing to use the factory transmission and transfer case. I've been searching and searching. No one seems to make one. I'm thinking that some of the z32 stuff will work since they have done v8 swaps before. But again, it might be a call to Advance Adapters to see if there's anything they can do to help.

SASXA

First Fill-Up (of many)
It will cost you .73:1 in your gearing but go with an np205 if you can find one for cheap, it's shorter than the bw cases and isn't a slip yoke which helps with driveshaft angles. What transmission is that and do you need OD?

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
It will cost you .73:1 in your gearing but go with an np205 if you can find one for cheap, it's shorter than the bw cases and isn't a slip yoke which helps with driveshaft angles. What transmission is that and do you need OD?
I was wanting to keep OD the Trans is a M5OD-R2 Ford transmission.

Looks to be the same setup as what is in my F250. But the 250 has a rear flange and no speed sensor like this one.

The real issue is the transfercase itself I forsee. If I can find my tape measure in the house I'll go out and measure the Trans/tcase length in the X.

4.6L Engine length is around 27" and Transmission/tcase is roughly 50"

Yeah...

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
List of things I am actually worried about with this whole swap.

○Driveshafts
○Fuel lines
○A/C lines
○Power steering
○Crossmember being in the way
○Clutch Line
○Throttle cables
○Making it move without killing the rear axle

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
○Driveshafts
Can be built to almost any configuration
○Fuel lines
Just lines easy
○A/C lines
Slightly harder, but still lines
○Power steering
Should be easy as the Nissan uses a fairly standard type of steering box
Fabrication!
○Clutch Line
Again, as long as it's still hydraulic, easy.
○Throttle cables
Easy.
Wouldn't worry about that. The H233b is a beast.

BEEFY

I Smile when Gasoline Can Freeze
Really interested in seeing how this comes out. I have a 5L in my shop from a project I never finished that needs a new home. And the thought has crossed my mined a few times to put it in the xterra.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
○Driveshafts
Can be built to almost any configuration
○Fuel lines
Just lines easy
○A/C lines
Slightly harder, but still lines
○Power steering
Should be easy as the Nissan uses a fairly standard type of steering box
Fabrication!
○Clutch Line
Again, as long as it's still hydraulic, easy.
○Throttle cables
Easy.
Wouldn't worry about that. The H233b is a beast.
I destroyed my center section of my 233b with the V6.

I'm also planning on moving to 37s so it isn't as upset on the interstate.

If you drive anything hard, something is bound to break at some point.

Really interested in seeing how this comes out. I have a 5L in my shop from a project I never finished that needs a new home. And the thought has crossed my mined a few times to put it in the xterra.

It's something that doesn't belong in there. It's going to take time.

But be well worth it in the end.
And just flat out awesome.

SASXA

First Fill-Up (of many)
I was wanting to keep OD the Trans is a M5OD-R2 Ford transmission.

Looks to be the same setup as what is in my F250. But the 250 has a rear flange and no speed sensor like this one.

The real issue is the transfercase itself I forsee. If I can find my tape measure in the house I'll go out and measure the Trans/tcase length in the X.

4.6L Engine length is around 27" and Transmission/tcase is roughly 50"

Yeah...

I'll have to pull apart my box of 205 stuff to get a good estimate but I'm pretty sure the np205 is 12.5" from mount surface with no adapter to middle of a 1350 yoke. Since it's manual I can't really give you any help but a c6 isn't that long but it's auto and no OD. Unless you went with an AOD trans, but I'd have to get measurements of how long it is.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
Welded out the broken studs today that were left over in the head from when I pulled the exhaust manifolds.

That was quite a bit easier than I had planned on it being.

Slowly the V8 is getting closer and closer.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
I'll have to pull apart my box of 205 stuff to get a good estimate but I'm pretty sure the np205 is 12.5" from mount surface with no adapter to middle of a 1350 yoke. Since it's manual I can't really give you any help but a c6 isn't that long but it's auto and no OD. Unless you went with an AOD trans, but I'd have to get measurements of how long it is.
I snagged some measurements of my transmission. They are out in my vehicle. Whenever I head out for lunch break I'll post up what ones I got.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
I'm actually a bit more confident that the Ford setup will fit.

It'll just have to be in there to find out what I gotta do.

Edodrian

Lockers Installed
Supporting Member
I have an extra 4.6L that I will let go for 125 dollars. Any takers?

Speak now before the weekend hits and it hits the scrap yard.