Fantasy Football

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
I'll have to read up on the style some more, but I'd still be down. I prefer traditional just because it's what I'm used to and comfortable with, but change isn't always bad

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Alright I've got 5 for and one opposed. I need some more feedback so when we get up and running I can get this set up.

If you wish not to say so publicly just send me a pm.

Also, TRAINING CAMP HAS STARTED!!

Cruecible

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
I'm definitely intrigued at the idea, sounds like it gets more challenging as time goes on, assuming most of the same people would play next year and so forth. I know I'm a new guy into the league so I don't know how many people are returning from last year, but if there is maybe like 7 or 8 that will play next year then it makes sense. I still think with 12 folks and a "vanilla" league style it will be fun, but I'll play in the keeper style too. My vote would be no keeper

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
There are 9 of 12 players returning with 2 still not responding. So far we have 2 new players and a 4 to 2 vote for Keepers.

I need to hear from ymbhonk and Ryandrew before we can begin the season.

I need email addresses from P&P and Cruecible to get things rolling as well. While your at it send me your real name as well. I have a spreadsheet set up for keeping track of things, mainly the money.

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Bump for a week til the hall of fame game. Then preseason starts August 7th!! If you haven't already, let me know if you would be for or opposed to a keeper league. And if you haven't answered if you're playing please do so.

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Also, previous years players. What time frame should other previous year players be given to respond before their spot is given away. Pms have been sent to them. Last year we had a problem with people joining up extremely late and it created a space issue.

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Ok, I agree. I will send out additional pms letting them know the deadline.

Thursday September 4th is the start of the regular season.

Does anyone have an odd work or school schedule that requires a certain day or time for the draft?

I think we started at 9pm central time last year. This makes it late eastern time but any earlier and pacific time may be too early.

TheFauxFox

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Ok, I agree. I will send out additional pms letting them know the deadline.

Thursday September 4th is the start of the regular season.

Does anyone have an odd work or school schedule that requires a certain day or time for the draft?

I think we started at 9pm central time last year. This makes it late eastern time but any earlier and pacific time may be too early.

Monday: 5:30pm-8pm
Tuesday: 6:00pm-7:30pm

Those are my only two objections.

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
I'm not playing so my vote does not count but I will warn you about keeper leagues where you don't have an established group of the same guys year after year. It's a huge pain in the ass replacing guys when new guys are stuck with other guys' bad choices. Just sayin.

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
We should be able to. We should be able to set up keeper limits and draft position penalties as well to keep some talent out there. Besides, we have a majority of holdovers from previous years.

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
When are we drafting Sent via special forces trained carrier gophers

We've gotta get teams finalized before we decide that. Right now I'm multitasking and have a lot of questions out there at once, the draft question right now is pretty much how does 9pm central time work for people, and what days are best.

Also, are you for or against keeper.

drbandkgb

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I think a Friday night draft

And Mac.. Your the commish. You tell us what it's going to be and it will be so

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I think a Friday night draft And Mac.. Your the commish. You tell us what it's going to be and it will be so

Oh I will, I am just trying to avoid making a decision and then having to change it three times to accommodate people.

I believe we're one shy of a 12 team league so that's all I need plus P&P's email address to get things started.

Cameron23

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Whatever we do we need to get it goin cause football is comin up. I'm against keeper league but wouldn't drop out if we became a keeper league.

Sent via special forces trained carrier gophers

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I've got things rolling.

I have been reading about keeper leagues and found a dang good setup IMO that we could model after. It adds an extra dimension to the game and right now the vote is 4 to 3 in favor with no body saying they'll quit if we do keeper.

http://ffgeekblog.com/2007/08/rules-for-a-fantasy-football-keeper-league/

Update 9/2013: We originally posted these keeper league rules back in 2007. Because this post has been consistently popular every year, I thought I’d provide an update on how things have gone for our league over the past half-decade as we’ve followed these rules. It’s all good news – we haven’t seen the need to change anything about the rules, and it’s been easily the most successful and active fantasy league I’ve ever been a part of. The rules reward those teams who plan well for the future, but not to the point where you wind up with one or two unstoppable dynasties. Decisions made years ago can reward or haunt your team, which is pretty cool, even if it hasn't worked out well for me personally – I invested in Michael Vick and Peyton Hillis two years ago and stubbornly clung to them again last year… needless to say, I've a had a rough run.
So maybe you've been playing fantasy football for a few years and you’ve got a good group of guys who consistently manage the teams in your leagues. You may have tried to spice things up by adding a flex position or yardage bonuses, but you still want something more. If you haven't considered it before, maybe now is the time you begin thinking about starting a keeper fantasy football league. In short, a keeper league is a league where between seasons, each manager decides to “keep” a certain amount of players (generally up to 3) from his previous team who will carry over to his next year’s team. We held our first “real” keeper draft last night*, so I figured it might be useful to share our league’s rules with you, so that if you’re interested in starting a similar league you would have something to base it on…
FFGeekBlog Keeper League Rules:

1. Each team can keep from 0-3 players from their previous end-of-season roster.

2. Players drafted in the first 3 rounds of a draft can not be kept in the following season. This prevents the top tier of players from being kept and creating massively unfair teams. Due to rule 4 below, the first 2 rounds technically couldn't be kept anyways.

3. A player can only be kept a maximum of 3 consecutive times. This is so that one team can’t pick up a future mega-star off waivers and then get to keep him throughout his entire career.

4. For each player that is kept, that manager must give up a draft pick 2 picks higher than where the player was initially drafted the year before.
Example: Wide receiver Brandon Marshall was drafted in the 11th round last year. If kept, this year he would account for the team's 9th round pick. If kept again, the following year he would be considered the 7th round pick.

5. Any player that went undrafted the previous year, but is being kept, will count as a team’s 3rd to last draft pick – This rule is there to slightly reward good drafting, as keeping free agent pickups are a little pricier than last round draft picks.
Example: Marques Colston was picked up off free agency last season by a team. If the league has 15 rounds in its draft, and the manager wishes to keep Colston, he must give up his 12th round pick the following season (as opposed to a player drafted in the 15th round, who would only count for the 13th pick).

6. If you do not have a draft pick for a round to give up to keep a player, you must give up the next higher pick – This might happen if you trade away a draft pick during preseason or have 2 keepers that have the same draft status from the previous year. One tip to consider if you have 2 players vying for the same draft spot is to make sure the player most likely to be kept the next year is taken with the higher pick. This makes his keeper “price” cheaper for the next draft.
Example: You wish to keep two free agents that you picked up during last season. Because both of them would qualify for your 12th pick (in a 15 round draft), one must count as the 12th pick, but the other will have to be your 11th pick.

7 (Optional). If your league wants to, you can trade picks in the draft before the draft begins (or even during the draft if your commissioner allows it) – This would allow you to trade a combination of players/picks to another manager to address certain team needs you might have.
So there you have it…time to get your boys together and let them know that a Keeper league is the way to go. Alternately, there are leagues called Dynasty leagues, which ares similar to Keeper leagues, but there is generally no limit to the amount of players that can be kept from year-to-year. You might try this approach, but I think the Keeper league style lends itself to more competitive teams and a much more interesting draft.
* The first season of a keeper league is drafted just like a re-draft league, so this year is our second year in the league and I consider it the first “real” keeper league draft. In case you’re interested, an analysis of this league’s draft will be posted on the site sometime in the next day or two, so check back to see how it went down.

Last edited:

Cameron23

Skid Plates
Founding Member
I've got things rolling.

I have been reading about keeper leagues and found a dang good setup IMO that we could model after. It adds an extra dimension to the game and right now the vote is 4 to 3 in favor with no body saying they'll quit if we do keeper.

http://ffgeekblog.com/2007/08/rules-for-a-fantasy-football-keeper-league/

I will take away my vote against thanks to this rule

2. Players drafted in the first 3 rounds of a draft can not be kept in the following season. This prevents the top tier of players from being kept and creating massively unfair teams. Due to rule 4 below, the first 2 rounds technically couldn't be kept anyways.

All for it

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Excellent, I am also going to institute a rule stating if you draft a player then drop them due to injury, then pick them up again at the end of the season to keep, you keep them at the original draft position, not the free agent draft position. However, if you drop a guy you drafted and someone else picks him up, that guy may keep him as a free agent.

I think we should add at least one more spot on the rosters as well to allow for keeping injured players.

Cameron23

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Mac I think you should get everyone's phone numbers too. That way if anyone has any troubles at draft time or something then you can call them or vise versa. Like if somehow someone mistakenly confuses the time zones or something.

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Mac I think you should get everyone's phone numbers too. That way if anyone has any troubles at draft time or something then you can call them or vise versa. Like if somehow someone mistakenly confuses the time zones or something.

That's a great idea. I think I'll try and do that. It might prevent drunk drafting too ;)