HOW TO: Rear tire carrier

Xtacular

Bought an X
Founding Member
First of all, many thanks to Silver Dude, couldn't have done this without him. Even with his tremendous help, this pretty much consumed me for a couple of weeks. Hopefully with this guide you can do it with a little less stress. I'll post part #s at the end.

This is a how-to for building a swing-away tire carrier for a Skid Row rear bumper found here:

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/skid-row-bare-steel-rear-bumper-p-1719.html

But the same principles should apply to other/custom bumpers.

First, either make sure you have factory frame stiffeners or buy some, either from a junkyard or from Shrock, the only 2 options I know of right now. I got mine for $70 from a junkyard, which was a bit of a ripoff, but when I was able to call in and cancel my $120 Shrock order, I was happy.

This is the Skid Row as you receive it

writeup1-2.jpg

Courtesy of SilverDude
writeup2-1.jpg

Courtesy of SilverDude
68b31886.jpg

Mounting pieces and lower arm supprt
e21bb8f2.jpg

Now for the details on the swing arm.

Hinge

You want to use a 1" diameter bolt, around 7" long. 6.5" would have worked fine, but it left about 1/8" of threads on the lower sleeve. A nylock works well for the nut, or you can do a lock washer. For the sleeves, you want a 1" I.D. and 1.25" O.D. That means for the outside of the hinge, you want some 3/8" wall round tubing. 1.25" I.D. with 3/8" wall = 2" O.D., the same width as your swing arm so it all matches up nicely. Then drill and tap the pipe for a zerk to keep it lubed up.

Hardware:
da003742.jpg

7a07fd58.jpg

You'll need a radius cut on the end of your swing arm to mate up to the hinge. I had a machinist do mine, but you can do it with a hole saw on the top and bottom, then cut off the sides, as SilverDude did. Keep in mind your alignment here will determine how level your arm sits.

f4a47c14.jpg

Here's SilverDude's welded up

writeup3-1.jpg

And mine

5e0089a7.jpg

My final product

2a8bfb0a.jpg

Latch

There are many options for the latch. SilverDude used a toggle style clamp, the big advantage of which is that it clamps the arm down tightly to the bumper, eliminating rattles.

9d9379db.jpg

I bought this but returned it and opted for a quick release pin. Mcmaster Carr as a ton of different sizes. I cut a piece out of some leftover tubing from the swing arm (bought 4') for the piece that the pin goes through before the arm. In the arm, I had a 1/4" plate welded into the end flush. Drilled both out to receive the pin. In the plate welded to the bumper, I attached a grommet that keeps the pin snug and rattle free.

87d38769.jpg

262aab92.jpg

86fe13ec.jpg

da779697.jpg

Arm Rests

The Skid Row comes with a rest for the outer end of the arm, you just need to attach a bumpstop. It comes with one, and you really need 2 (one for behind the arm, and one for below), so I added a set of ultra low bumpstops to the order.

e9af219b.jpg

262aab92.jpg

Then for behind the arm, I drilled and tapped the arm itself for a bumpstop, do I wouldn't have to drill the bumper. Hopefully you can see it on the end of the arm, use your imagination:

00e678a4.jpg

The Arm

I believe that you should take your own measurements before building your swing arm. But personally I wanted to be able to mount a 33" tire without blocking the left brake light, and without going over the top of the main part of the swing arm. This may not be as important without the clamp style latch though. But I went with 3/16" wall for everything, 2"x2" for everything except the long part of the swing arm, which I used 3x2 for. Some people go with 1/4" wall for the long swing arm, but seeing the 3/16" and feeling the weight, I'm really happy with it.

As far as the piece you mount the lug plate to, I wanted the tire snug to the arm, but with the capability to go to a wider tire. I wanted a telescoping arm, and ended up going with 2x2 for the inside of it, with 'receiver' material for the outside. I drilled a set of 1/2" holes and put a grade 8 bolt through with a nylock. If I want wider tires I just need to drill a new set of holes.

4862946c.jpg

3d22e3b7.jpg

2fdce431.jpg

For the lug plate, you just need to get a 6 on 5.5 lug plate, either make it yourself or buy one. Then get lugs from Autozone and lug nuts from there too or a junkyard.

License Plate Mounting

The Skid Row comes with a bracket for mounting your license plate. SilverDude bent his up in a car wash and replaced it with a 1/4" thick plate.

writeup3-1.jpg

I had my welder put a couple of beads along the weak part and weld it right to the arm. It uses one of the stock license plate lights but be careful, they are flimsy after 10 years. I broke both of mine.

Most of all, have fun with it. It's the process that makes it your own. Here's mine all finished up:

b940b6c0.jpg

8bc862b7.jpg

492fe5ac.jpg

00e678a4.jpg

19ebf7e4.jpg

Being welded:

e04c1d59.jpg

5d837b3c.jpg

Part Numbers
Toggle clamp Silver Dude used: Mcmaster Carr 5135A27
Quick Disconnect I used: Mcmaster Carr 94748A308
Grommet I used: Mcmaster Carr 9307K18
Bronze sleeve bearings: Mcmaster Carr 7815K58
6.5" bolt for hinge: Mcmaster Carr 91247A929
Nylock nut for hinge bolt: Mcmaster Carr 97135A038
Up to you on grade, I also went with grade 8 nylock and grade 5 bolt so it was easier to cut.
2" hole saw: Lowes item #: 348107
Lug plate (variety of places to get them): DIY4x4: http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=spare&product_id=157
Spiderweb Gusset: http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=gusset&product_id=91

Additional Resources
SilverDude breaks down what all he bought, a little over half way down: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-28411.html

Sweet writeup of a different design on another site: http://www.dso4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4251

Steeze's first gen tire carrier build: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10653&highlight=steeze+rear+tire+carrier&page=5

Casper's Calmini bumper modification: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12186&page=2

JGBimle's build, he posts awesome drawings of his bumper if you want to build it from scratch, page 15: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?p=476581#post476581

SilverDude's build, final product on page 17: http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7582&page=17

I'm sure I'm missing a few things... anything you need just let me know. Again, I cannot thank SilverDude enough for his endless help on this.

Cheers

Last edited:

Silver dude

Sliders
Founding Member
Haha thanks! For putting this up! your bumper and write up look fantastic! Can't think of much to add to it nicely done.

I recommend keeping the tire on the left side rather then the center or right side as not to impede the drivers view. When the tire is behind your back it's easier to look past.

Also the tire will impede the view of the third brake light as well as the left tail lamp (if your turning right). So either keep it in mind or install auxiliary brake lighting.

If you keep one of the carriers frame uprights at 90degrees. Much like Xtaculars and mine it will not only simplify construction. But, allow mounting of a hilift jack after installing bolts.

Last edited:

Baldybarton

Bought an X
Founding Member
Thanks for the right up! Those additional resources at the end are a great help as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
Nice job, clean, good looking welds.

After ripping mine off twice in one year I am going to have to think long and hard about redoing mine.

Xtacular

Bought an X
Founding Member
Nice job, clean, good looking welds.

After ripping mine off twice in one year I am going to have to think long and hard about redoing mine.

Did you make yours? Where did it rip off at?

I wish I could take credit for the welds, my dad's coworker did it for $40 worth of vodka. He rushed through it but I'm happy with it- in the background of the second to last picture, that's what he does all day.

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
The first one ripped the hindge appart,

The second time it ripped off the mount and everything. At least for the time being it can live in the back, strapped down.

Xtacular

Bought an X
Founding Member
The first one ripped the hindge appart,

The second time it ripped off the mount and everything. At least for the time being it can live in the back, strapped down.

What materials did you use? You've got me worried!

Also: for everyone, I had to buy 50 grommets so if you will use one I'll send a few out. 3/16" material thickness, 5/16" inside diameter, 9/16" outside diameter. Pm me your address. Also I wil sell you the $23 9/16" drill bit for cheap!

Xtacular

Bought an X
Founding Member
What was the total cost of the project? If I remember correctly, the Skidrow bumper my itself isn't exactly cheap.

The Skid Row is $355 plus shipping. I'll have to track down my list of expenses but it wasn't cheap. A little less than buying one complete, but not by a whole lot. I could have saved money though, making more cuts myself, getting a better deal on steel (I just went for convenience and went to my small local yard), making my own lug plate etc.

But for the bumper itself, I called around to a couple fab shops and $355 and even plus shipping isn't unreasonable for a bumper with a hitch built in. I was told you needed $7M insurance just to install the hitches.

granitex

Skid Plates
Founding Member
It might just be the way that I treated it, some would say thy dropping the entire weight of the truck on the tire is not a great idea.