VDC/SLIP light problems

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
Some background first:

A few weeks ago, one of my lower control arm bolts was getting loose and throwing off my alignment. It was pulling to the left, so as I was going down the road I would have to correct by holding the wheel to the right. This would not jibe with the yaw rate sensor and the steering angle sensor, and the VDC off and SLIP lights would light up to tell me the VDC system was off. It would reset next time the truck was turned off, and I got the alignment corrected and all was well.

This week, I installed my Volant intake, which required the battery to be disconnected. Any time the battery is disconnected and reconnected, VDC off and SLIP light come on until the steering angle sensor is reset, either by centering the wheel and recalibrating it with the Consult-II system, or by starting the truck with the wheel centered and driving above 10mph for over 10 minutes. Every time I've disconnected the battery in the past, the system has reset itself, no problem. Now, the VDC system has been offline for 3 days, with at least three 30 mile roundtrips. It still hasn't reset.

My question is, does anyone know how much the dealer will charge me to reset it with their Consult-II system, and, if needed, how much a new sensor will cost with labor?

R

ryandavenport

My dealership doesn't charge for stuff like that (along with TPMS sensors). My slip light doesnt come on after I disconnect the battery. Just the VDC comes on, so I would bet on yours being a sensor issue. Regardless, try to disconnect the battery one more time before you take it in.

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
It was just the VDC light when I first started it up, but the SLIP light came on shortly after. It has always done both every time I've disconnected the battery. I'm going to call my dealer in the morning and see what they charge. Free would be great. If they decide to screw me, I'm just gonna buy the Consult software for my laptop and do it myself.

If it had a code stored due to the alignment being that far off, and you disconnected the battery, it may refuse to reset because it thinks there is a sensor problem. You'll need the consult to clear codes, then there's a reset procedure for the steering angle sensor.
I would suspect most dealers would charge up to 1.0 hour labor to do that, so figure on $100 bucks or so depending on where you go.

J Everett

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
The lights finally went off on their own yesterday, while I was on the way to the dealer. It's never taken that long for the steering angle sensor to reset before. It was almost 100 miles before the lights went off.