Mini How to: DIY Raised Air Intake (Snorkel)

Oz_X

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
Granted, not the prettiest snorkel in the world - but its functional. Its a prototype; future versions will be mandrel

bent so no crushing. This one will be powdercoated. Yes that's an actual Safari 'scoop' on top.

OH I SHOULD ADD that this RAI took the whole weight of the X (well at least side loading) sliding into a

boulder and only took superficial damage. I think a plastic or fiberglass one wouldn't have fared as well.

- - -

EDIT 4-3-2011: PARTS LIST

90 degree Cobra Head:
90CB30.jpg

http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=90CB30&Category_Cod e=CHEW

3" ID Flexible Hose: (you can get this anywhere like Hoseman, etc.)
If you configure your snorkel like I did you wont need a lot - less than a foot.
48658p.jpg

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=48660

3" Hoseclamps (4)
482812411_tp.jpg

3" ID Exhaust flange: This you can get when at a muffler shop or auto parts store.
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/sBYD6UVOv8nkc91Nb1tJ57MBqyA72ET2t8GZNj5d9jprl6HFly

B3YZ_aeKgOCekZqlIzDP_hvGKCZAv_1j6i--H79g2KAuB1XkkVcXytguHW0znNHzB7OeHPAHmo8PLSVhc

01Z4Drt_xVT6SF9VANg

ARB Safari Snorkel Replacement Parts, 3 Inch Air Ram
P/N ARB-000135000 - Make sure its a 3" ID. You can google it but I got

mine here for $69.50
http://jamesoaksenterprises.com/products/arb_snorkels.htm
arb_snorkel2.jpg

A length of 3" OD Aluminized tubing: I dont remember the exact length. Available at muffler shop.
555-30911.jpg

1' angle iron for bracket. Length will vary to your config.
rai07.jpg

Nutserts and nutsert tool for "A" pillar mounting

And you'll need to make this up for the cobra head to faster to at the fender:
snorkel-flange.jpg

^^^That is how you make this part: (view from inside fender)
rai08.jpg

DSC_3104.jpg

DSC_3105.jpg

3" ID Flex to airbox:
rai09.jpg

Take the airbox cover off and shave off all doodads from the outside of the 3" OD inlet. This will allow the flex

to hose clamp on.

The main body of the snorkel is the 3" OD aluminized tubing. Your muffler shop will have this and bend it and

cut it for you. You can also have them weld on the 1" angle steel for the "A" pillar bracket. OR if you really want

to get fancy find a place that will mandral bend the tubing (this is what I want to do in the future when I redo

mine). Then paint or powdercoat as you want. If you did it right it will look like this:

rai01.jpg

rai04.jpg

rai07.jpg

When it was black:
DSC_2673.jpg

snorkel2.jpg

Powdercoated White:
DSC_3107.jpg

DSC_3108.jpg

DSC_3142.jpg

DSC_5985s.jpg

That should be about it - please let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

SnickerDoodle

Life's Better Seeing Pink
Founding Member
My question is simple.. why aren't you making these and selling them?! LOL :angel:

edit---
if you do... I'll take mine in hot pink please :luv:

Oz_X

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
My question is simple.. why aren't you making these and selling them?! LOL :angel:
if you do... I'll take mine in hot pink please :luv:

Very nice of you to say. I actually made this snorkel 4 years ago (can't believe its been that long) and there was a handful of folks who wanted me to make them, but you cant really go into production for just a few units. And shortly thereafter 4x4 parts came out with their snork and everyone just bought that one instead. I wrote this how-to back then so that the folks that did want one of these could source the parts and make their own.

To be honest I would have rather just bought one off the shelf and not had to make my own but they were non-existent at the time and it didn't seem like any were coming any time soon. So there ya go :)

JustNick

Test Drive
Founding Member
Very nice of you to say. I actually made this snorkel 4 years ago (can't believe its been that long) and there was a handful of folks who wanted me to make them, but you cant really go into production for just a few units. And shortly thereafter 4x4 parts came out with their snork and everyone just bought that one instead. I wrote this how-to back then so that the folks that did want one of these could source the parts and make their own.

To be honest I would have rather just bought one off the shelf and not had to make my own but they were non-existent at the time and it didn't seem like any were coming any time soon. So there ya go :)

Dude, this snorkel looks better than ANY of the one's I've seen. It's not as bulky, and I'd rather invest in something like this rather than $400 for plastic.
Nice write ups btw! I also took a look at the BL How to. Impressive, and something to consider!
-Nick

Oz_X

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
Dude, this snorkel looks better than ANY of the one's I've seen. It's not as bulky, and I'd rather invest in something like this rather than $400 for plastic.
Nice write ups btw! I also took a look at the BL How to. Impressive, and something to consider!
-Nick

Thanks! Its actually pretty strong too. Took the weight of my X when it slipped on a snowy climb into a boulder. "A" pillar smashed in but just a small dent and some scratches on the snork.

GPD605X

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
This is what I will be doing... Screw spending $300 + on a plastic one. I wil probably paint it all silver or black.

civicjoe

lone wolf mod
Founding Member
Dude what did this cost to build?
I really prefer this over the mass produced ones. Not that i really need one out here in the desert but i would give me peace of mind when i do encounter water when im not in the desert.

Oz_X

First Fill-Up (of many)
Founding Member
Dude what did this cost to build?
I really prefer this over the mass produced ones. Not that i really need one out here in the desert but i would give me peace of mind when i do encounter water when im not in the desert.

Sorry for late reply, it was about $120 when all said and done

Transmitted using CRM 114 discriminator.

Diadaga

Suspension Lift
Founding Member
Looks awesome man, glad I saw this before I bought the other one. if you get another one would you go with aluminum or SS for the tubing and what gauge?

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
Hmmm, not sure if I'm going to get much of a tax return this year (since I'm single, dont own a house and dont have kids- BAH! stupid system), but if I get one, I just may make one of these!

metzican

Suspension Lift
Hmmm, not sure if I'm going to get much of a tax return this year (since I'm single, dont own a house and dont have kids- BAH! stupid system), but if I get one, I just may make one of these!

I'm thinking the same thing. Since I'm responsible about world population control, and hate weddings No tax returns so it hurts my funds.

Macland

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Well im geeting great tax returns. Young married, one kid and not very high up on the food chain, so I will either be makingnone like this or buying a airflow one.

That sounds like me, young, married, one kid, low on the food chain with my own home. Except a snorkel would get me laughed out the door if I wanted one, and my wife would be the one laughing.

metzican

Suspension Lift
Once again I'm back looking at this. I know OZ does not visit very often. But I don't know much about the nut inserts.

What type would you recommend since it needs to be rust resistant and also on a body panel so its not very thick?

Is there any better or no go places on the A pillar to place these?

Should there be a sealant used to prevent leaks?

dhyde79

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I'm thinking most snorkel heads are 3" Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk
Most snorkel heads now are 3.5" for better airflow, if you're doing a full PVC snork, I'd use 3.5" PVC. If doing exhaust tubing like Oz did, still 3.5" though you have to worry about whether or not the box he used to join it will work...

Last edited:

metzican

Suspension Lift
I still have questions about the nut inserts and A pillar. That just kinda scares me.

My goal is to get a 3.5" Ram Head. 3.5" exhaust tubing but get it Mandrel Bent. The 90 that Oz used is not offered in 3.5" its in 3" or 4". So I need to figure out the 90" But then the exhaust flange I will use the same 3" and weld in a 3"-3.5" inside it. The 3.5" will stick through the fender. Then the air box 3" to exhaust flange will be the same. I thought about go for a 4" on the 90 and do a real sharp turn so air flow is not hurt as bad.

dhyde79

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I still have questions about the nut inserts and A pillar. That just kinda scares me. My goal is to get a 3.5" Ram Head. 3.5" exhaust tubing but get it Mandrel Bent. The 90 that Oz used is not offered in 3.5" its in 3" or 4". So I need to figure out the 90" But then the exhaust flange I will use the same 3" and weld in a 3"-3.5" inside it. The 3.5" will stick through the fender. Then the air box 3" to exhaust flange will be the same. I thought about go for a 4" on the 90 and do a real sharp turn so air flow is not hurt as bad.
See, my thought is this, if you're already getting tubing bent, have em put a tight 90 in at the end and just put an extra support and support to the fender and the A pillar...then you can go right from airbox to pipe with one 3.0-3.5 adapter....