Prime'z X

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
This truck was sold in March 2016 to another XN Member. As soon as he posts a built thread, I'll link it here.

This has been a great truck. I loved it. And it was an absolute blast to build and wheel. If any one has any questions about this build, please ask. I'll be more than happy to answer.

20160327_122941_copy_2124x1195.jpg

EDIT - 06.11.15
Updated Mod List.
Removed dumb broken pictures from OP (I need to get my PC back up and running to fix them)
--------------------------
EDIT - 06.30.14
Updated Mod List. All mods link to appropriate posts where available.
--------------------------
EDIT - 04.04.15
Minor mod updates and housecleaning.

Suspension/Steering/Driveline:
- Calmini 3" Suspension Lift w/ AC Shackles
- 2" DIY Body Lift
- 3" Lift Bilstein 5100's
- Rear ARB Locker
- 33x12.50 GY DuraTrac Tires on Charcoal DR Wheels
- Calmini IAB
- 1.25" Wheel spacers front
- 1.5" Wheel spacers rear

Performance (Because the 3.3 needs all the help it can get):
- Navara Snorkel
- Doug Thorley Headers
- Custom Borla Catback
- Removed Intake Resonators
- K&N Drop In Filter
- SC Radiator

Armor/Exterior Metal:
- ShrockWorks Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
- RLC Front Bumper
- White Knuckle Offroad Sliders
- Gobi Ladder
- DepHep Standard Length Rack w/ Expanded Metal Floor & Rear Light Bar (Line-X Coated)

Stereo/Electrical:
- Double DIN Android Radio
- Infinity Reference 6.5" Component Set in front
- Infinity Reference 6x9 Rears
- Infinity Reference 5-Channel Amp
- 10" JL Subwoofer (sealed enclosure, 300w Power)
- Cobra 29 LX/LE CB
- Blue-Sea Fuse Box and Lighting Relays in OEM Jack Location

Lighting......so much lighting:
- Real HID Projector Conversion
- All Stock Exterior Lights Swapped to VLED Bulbs
- B&M Light Bar w/ 20" Hanma 100w Spot Bar
- 4 18W Hanma Square LED Alley Lights Mounted to DepHep
- 2 18W Hanma Square LED Backup Lights Mounted to DepHep
- 2 18W Flush Mount Hanma Square LED Backup lights in rear Corner Panels
- Center high-Mount Brake Light relocated to DepHep using Hella FF75 Fog Lamp Housing w/ Red H7 LED Bulb
- Strip LED Loading Lights on Rear Hatch
- JW Speaker Model 90 LED headlights mounted on front bumper

Cosmetic Mods:
- NEW OEM Leather Steering Wheel
- Blacked out Badges & Roof Rack Rails (PAINT, NO DIP!!)
- So much stickers!
- New Flat Black Paint on all trim that I've removed/reinstalled

Recovery:
- 10k Engo Winch w/ Synthetic Line
- 2 30' Tow/Snatch Straps
- 3"x10' Tree Saver
- SmittyBilt Snatch Block
- Lots of 3/4" Clevis Shackles

Future Mods:
- A-Pilar Gauge Pod - Purchased
- Full Skids
- Dana 44 SAS - Axle purchased

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Begin OP. Post Date 03.10.12

Here it is the weekend I bought it. Bone stock w/ 65k:
BROKEN IMAGES!
Down at Corova Beach, NC:
BROKEN IMAGES!

We found some rain water back in the neighborhood behind Corova Beach. Some of it was deep. My horn doesn't work anymore. I wish I had taken some action shots. But here is the aftermath.
BROKEN IMAGES!

My new tires which will be installed this weekend (Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's in 32x11.5x15):
BROKEN IMAGES!

got a set of charcoal desert runners, but they are in storage...so no pics until install.

Playing at a buddies house. His place just happened to have a motocross track in the yard when he bought it. Great place to drive over hills and test out new toys. I bent the crap out of my step rails...heh...This is after the PML.
BROKEN IMAGES!

One of my cats, Ember, thought that the stack of tires in the kitchen was the coolest thing
BROKEN IMAGES!

Anyway, on to the important things

New tires installed! Still have to do a little trimming though.

BROKEN IMAGES!

The desert runners where DEFINITELY the right choice. Also need to pick up two more center caps. Stock 4-bars are boring and lame. heh.

Trimming complete. It was way easier than I thought to just knock it out w/ a razor knife. This is all I ended cutting off.

BROKEN IMAGES!

No more rubbing on full lock or flex. Didn't have to trim anything in the rear.

CB Prep Work....

Got the antenna installed (3' Firestik II w/ HD Spring). Used the Firestik door jamb mount and the 18' FireRing coax. I love the cleanliness of the install. Right now the coax is under the back passenger seat because I don't have the radio yet. Xmas maybe.

BROKEN IMAGES!

CB Installed! Cobra 29 LX LCD. its a TAD wider than the opening so it took some cutting and creative modding to get it in there, but it fits like a glove now. And the rest of the hole is still kinda useful small stuff.....now I need a new place to throw my sunglasses.

Right now its hooked up to accessory power...don't know if I want to leave it that way or give it a 100% feed...but thats easy enough to change should the desire get high enough.

BROKEN IMAGES!
Body Lift:

Before:
BROKEN IMAGES!
After:
BROKEN IMAGES!
I've had several people tell me that now I need bigger tires......but I just bought these! They still have LOTS of life left!

I actually really like the way the BL works on the X. The only place you can REALLY tell is in the front where that little silver piece of plastic gaps out to the rest of the bumper. And fortunately, I did NOT have to cut the tub for the T-Case shifter. It goes into 4L just fine, and actually has plenty of room to spare.

This is sitting here in the garage...just waiting to be installed. Eventually.

BROKEN IMAGES!
Now I need LOTS of money to get it installed. I'm going to do the compressor and all the wiring, but I don't feel comfortable cracking open the 3rd member.

Last edited:

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Thx for the compliments.

Krisnherx, actually, I'm in southeastern VA. About an hour and change drive to the Outer Banks. Technically Virginia Beach is closer, but if I ever want to go to the beach, its worth the drive.

Kris&HerX

Bumpers Installed
Founding Member
Awesome.

The coast is about 5 hours from where I live, but man it sure is nice to live in a state with both the mountains and the beach. =)

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Ordered a 5th charcoal Desert Runner today. 109 on eBay, made offer of $65. With free shipping. Accepted. Win. Full size spare & 33s, here I come.

luv2mud

Need Bigger Tires
Great looking X. Love those tires. It sorta looks like a Tonka truck! :) I have to say though..id give anything to live next to the OBX! My drive is approx 16 hours so I dont get to go as often as I would like! I was just there this past July so I wont see it again for a few years. :(

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
heh...I'd be perfectly fine w/ that timeline. I go once a year...but its not all that. I'd take the mountains and the trails over the beach ANY day of the week. Plus, the closest actual population center is the area I live in (Hampton Roads/Tidewater, VA) and it blows goats here.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
So I picked up something in my tire yesterday....

20120625104957.jpg

It looks like a damn railroad spike! So that tire is toasted. Since my 32's are just about shot anyway (yes...that section of tread looks great...but the shoulders are almost bald...plus I'm tired of balancing them), I'm need to start shopping for some 33's. I already have the shackles and torsion bars for the lift. However, I still need control arms. But I need tires first. Filling this one up every day sucks.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Locker is DONE. I took it to the local Heep dealer. Not because they are a Heep dealer, but because they are one of the few shops around here that actually knows how to do offroad work. This dealership has an offroad course behind it and the service manager holds an annual "Open to all" wheeling event that I've been to a few times. Anyway:

20130108154418.jpg

20130108154450.jpg

Overall, I'm impressed by the install. They fabbed a bracket up to mount the compressor in that location and if I understand it correctly, this compressor has 2 1/4" NPT outputs on it. Meaning that I can take the other one and pipe it to a small tank for airing up easily. So that's coming down the pipe as well. As an interesting note, the night time illumination on the switches seems to be wired backwards. As I turn up the dash illumination, the lights on the switches go out. If I black out the dash, they are bright as hell. So I'm gonna pull things apart this weekend and see where they tapped in for the nighttime illumination wiring. Because I want the switches to light up with the dash.

Also, finally finished collecting all the parts for the 3" SL. Got the Calmini uppers, new camber bolts from the local Nissan dealer, AC torsion bars, AC shackles, & extended rear brake line. Just need a good reasonably warm weekend to tear into it.

Few other things waiting in the wings... I've got the Navara snorkel sitting in the garage right next to a dual gauge A-pilar pod. Already ordered a voltage gauge....haven't figured out what to put in the other spot yet.

Last edited:

Xado89

Skid Plates
Nice looking rig! that damn railroad spike, man...just wow. haha I've seen nails and pieces of sheet metal but geesh. You win that competition. Grats on the locker too! I bet yo love that thing to death.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Got the Navara Snorkel bolted up tonight. Purchased this kit (Linky) off of eBay. Shipped from Malaysia and only took about a week to arrive to VA. I really like the way it came out. I managed to get everything up high enough on the fender to miss the bulge of the lower half and still follow the slope of the A-Pilar.

Masking Up:
dcim0150.jpg

Stencil marked out (all I had was a silver sharpie though, wich made it hard to see).
dcim0151.jpg

dcim0152.jpg

Post drilling the holes:
dcim0154.jpg

My two friends who helped me out have pictures of me actually drilling them. Triple check the layout and go for it. It's only metal.

And even then, I'll mess it up. A few of the holes were a little out. But the washers were so big, that I just opened up the holes till everything went in. Took some white paint (all we had around) and painted the metal edges to prevent rust.

dcim0155.jpg

For the A-pilar, I did as suggested and just used one of the windshield frame screws. To get to these just grab the weatherstripping over top of the door and pull. Be aware that there is a plastic plug in the bottom. I didn't have to modify the bracket at all. Went right in and lined right up.

dcim0153.jpg

My kit came with heavy duty rubber hosing to come from the snorkel and make the turn under the fender. Problem was, as high as it was mounted on the fender, it was damn near impossible to get that hose to seat so I could clamp it in place. it was too cramped in that narrow part of the inner fender. My buddy Ray wailed on it with a socket extension until it popped into place. Wrapped with a pipe clamp, and moving on. In retrospect, it would have been easier to put this on before the snorkel was bolted to the fender.

dcim0160.jpg

dcim0158.jpg

Thats as far as I got on the plumbing tonight. I tried to cut/modify the Navara bracket that came with the kit:

dcim0156.jpg

but I couldn't get anything to work. I'm going to get some piping tomorrow and get it tied together. Also need to plug the other baffle inlet, move the air temp sensor, and silicone the crap out of everything.

Overall, I'm stoked with the final product on the outside. I think it lined up pretty damn well and disappears completely behind the A-Pillar when driving. I think one thing I'm going to do is get my other friend Kevin (who is a caulking master) and have him run a bead of black around the body of the snorkel where it comes in to the fender. The back upper bolt does have some space there (clearer daylight pictures tomorrow), and it would just seal everything up and make it look better.

dcim0163.jpg

dcim0162.jpg

dcim0161.jpg

Last edited:

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
You have an ARB locker/compressor just sitting in your garage? Psh, lucky ducky! Im gonna find out where you live and nab it from ya, bwahaha.

Snork looks great! Nice job on your rig. :)

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Thanks dudes I'm rather enjoying building the crap out of this rig. Suspension lift and gauges are next.

You have an ARB locker/compressor just sitting in your garage? Psh, lucky ducky!

Check up a couple posts, smart guy. It got installed last week. Nice try though. =p

gorillamel

Lockers Installed
Founding Member
^Psh, just checking to see if you were actually paying attention. OF course, you failed since you called me a guy, bwahahaha!

Anyway, I'm still jealous. And you should update your OP. :p

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Hey, I can use "smart guy" regardless of gender. It's a general term and not specific enough to be deemed a fail. =p And ill update what I want to update, thank you very much. Heh.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Of course. All I've done with it so far is leave locked tire tracks in the back yard while trying to pull up some trees. BUT you HAVE TO fix the grammatical error in your sig.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Yeah it's been powder coated. And assembled. One problem though. The FF75s sit so low that the center two are half covered by the deflector. So I'm trying to find a way to space all the lights up an inch without sacrificing stability. I think I'm going to have to take a piece of 1" square stock and drill it out so I can remount the lights on that and that should clear the cowl.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
You made the thing....heh. Can you think of a good way to solve that problem? I'll throw it up there sometime this week and take some pictures so you can see what I'm on about.

NMTerras

Suspension Lift
Oh so YOU are the one that clued Dave into his addy for handies...I was getting multiple daily laughs out of that

/end threadjack