Prime'z X

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
I attempted exactly this to tap my ground for my relay for my heated mirror into the ground trigger for the rear defrost, and I ended up frying that circuit in the Entrance Control Module. Either the circuit is really sensitive to extra loads (like really, the 60mA from a relay coil?) or it may of back-fed power into the ECM looking for another ground and blew it. If you do, I'd look into putting in a diode so that it doesn't happen if that is the case.

This. I haven't dug into the heater circuit, but if you use a relay with a transistor based circuit, you _NEED_ a diode in reverse across the coil so it doesn't spike current back to the transistor. The diode doesn't need to be anything huge, I've typically used a 1n4148.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Yeah, that's how I'm reading it. If you look at the diagram I posted, the grounds that are on the switch are simply routed back to the body somewhere. Apparently there isn't a good place to ground on the hatch itself, so the grounds are run back through the loom and to D404 and D402 which are simply body grounds.

SO, if I tap the hot from my power distribution in the old jack house, and then tie the ground to that one on the switch, that should work just fine.

My suggestion would be to remove the hatch switch from the SECU circuit and use the switch to trigger the loading lights that way. The dome lights wouldn't come on with the hatch, but you have a light with a switch right there in the ceiling to flip on if you need it.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
My suggestion would be to remove the hatch switch from the SECU circuit and use the switch to trigger the loading lights that way. The dome lights wouldn't come on with the hatch, but you have a light with a switch right there in the ceiling to flip on if you need it.

But I want everything!

OffRdX

Lockers Installed
But I want everything!

I have this problem too. When I'm doing a project my buddies always come up with a simpler way to accomplish it but I'd lose some functionality. So I hold my ground and make it difficult, always happy in the end though.

Sent from my portable electronic device.

dhyde79

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
I have this problem too. When I'm doing a project my buddies always come up with a simpler way to accomplish it but I'd lose some functionality. So I hold my ground and make it difficult, always happy in the end though. Sent from my portable electronic device.

Sounds like me and my antenna plans...

dhyde79

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
So, does a 1st gen not work like a 2nd does? Cargo area dome doesn't come on unless the back hatch is opened (if memory serves). Maybe with the rear doors too...I'll look tomorrow night for you...I'm already in bed...

This is confirmed btw, cargo dome doesn't come on with doors...

As an easy solution, find out if the door sensor breaks or completes the circuit, then put a relay, switched from the hatch open switch/sensor, if the door completes when open use a regular normal open relay, if switch/sensor breaks the circuit then use a normally closed relay

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
The hatch switch supplies ground when the door is open. However, it supplies ground to the computer, not to the light. Which is the complication.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
I think Deeb is on the right track. If I put a diode in line for the ground on the lights, then I tap that in line to the body ground that the switch goes to the light should be able to use the switch and body ground without back feeding to the computer.

Just a question of how big of a diode do I need. Unfortunately, I can't find any specs on these lights to calculate the load.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
I think Deeb is on the right track. If I put a diode in line for the ground on the lights, then I tap that in line to the body ground that the switch goes to the light should be able to use the switch and body ground without back feeding to the computer.

Just a question of how big of a diode do I need. Unfortunately, I can't find any specs on these lights to calculate the load.
Just a signal diode is fine. 1n4148. I've use those in 12v circuits without issue.

dhyde79

Titan Swapped / SAS'd
Founding Member
Just a signal diode is fine. 1n4148. I've use those in 12v circuits without issue.

So, here's the issue I find...in my sketching of the diagram,

image-2320548504.jpg

If the diode stops the juice from the relay "switch" it shouldn't function as the ground, correct? Given that you'll be hooking it to a negative lead....

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
I may still install a Carling switch in he cargo area so I can cut them off. But that simply interrupting the 12v leg.

On a side note, got everything I need hook it up and test. And I got the hot line run from the hatch to my fuse box. Didn't have time to hook anything up today. Maybe tomorrow, be definitely by the weekend.

caseycamby

Suspension Lift
dcim0153.jpg

I know this is a bigtime flashback but I'm about to do the install this coming weekend and I need all my questions answered ;)

On the other two holes, did you just use some self-tapping screws or what? I don't know with the snorkel I have that I can use the windshield frame screw..

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
On the downside, the finish is pretty terrible. I'm gonna send it back and see if someone local can anodize the one that came with the winch.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Yeah until it's bolted to the fender. Then it's all good. Having on a nit of a pivot helps when lining things up on the fender. Attach that one point and then spin the body of the snorkel until you get an even line up the A pillar

02Xterra

Wheeling
On the downside, the finish is pretty terrible. I'm gonna send it back and see if someone local can anodize the one that came with the winch.

I've used Global Metal Finishing in Roanoke with very good results for anodizing aluminum parts for various projects for work over the years.. and it looks like they're running a free shipping deal at the moment

http://www.globalmetalfinishing.com/#

Their prices are reasonable.. If u call em up, talk to Ben Lawhorn and tell him Shaun from Babcock & Wilcox referred ya. I designed a retirement gift for upper management at my work a few years back.. all aluminum and 15 separate pieces, some as small as 1/4" square lol. The sub body is a little over 12" long, 1-1/4" diameter. They did an awesome job with them.. we made 6 initially lol http://www.globalmetalfinishing.com/content.aspx?ContentID=1398

Last edited:

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Let there be light!........ Again........

2ega2a7y.jpg

nuru4uru.jpg

3a8yzejy.jpg

da5a9u7y.jpg

No diode required. Simply tapped the ground from the lights to the red wire coming from the latch. Everything works exactly as I wanted it to.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
I've used Global Metal Finishing in Roanoke with very good results for anodizing aluminum parts for various projects for work over the years.. and it looks like they're running a free shipping deal at the moment

http://www.globalmetalfinishing.com/#

Their prices are reasonable.. If u call em up, talk to Ben Lawhorn and tell him Shaun from Babcock & Wilcox referred ya. I designed a retirement gift for upper management at my work a few years back.. all aluminum and 15 separate pieces, some as small as 1/4" square lol. The sub body is a little over 12" long, 1-1/4" diameter. They did an awesome job with them.. we made 6 initially lol http://www.globalmetalfinishing.com/content.aspx?ContentID=1398

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Chetter

First Fill-Up (of many)
Let there be light!........ Again........

No diode required. Simply tapped the ground from the lights to the red wire coming from the latch. Everything works exactly as I wanted it to.

Just to make sure I got this straight....(being the electrical genius that I am...lol). So tapping the ground into the red wire makes the lights only come on when the hatch is opened (hatch latch is released)?

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Yeah. Hot wire for the lights goes straight to battery, ground goes to red/blue wire on latch harness. Lights only come on when hatch is opened. No complications.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
Interesting thing popped up this evening. Turns out that the rear doors and the hatch are all in the same loop. Now I knew that from reading the diagram. However, I didn't grasp that if one of the doors opens it completes the SAME circuit on the hatch switch. So when someone opens the back door, the loading lights come on. Not the end of the world since I hardly ever use the back seat. For now! But just a heads up to anyone looking to do this mod.

Muadeeb

Nissan al Gaib
Admin
Interesting thing popped up this evening. Turns out that the rear doors and the hatch are all in the same loop. Now I knew that from reading the diagram. However, I didn't grasp that if one of the doors opens it completes the SAME circuit on the hatch switch. So when someone opens the back door, the loading lights come on. Not the end of the world since I hardly ever use the back seat. For now! But just a heads up to anyone looking to do this mod.

Time for diodes.
hatch%20lighting.bmp

It's only 12v, so most anything will work.

Prime

Shut up Baby, I know it!
Admin
DIY bedliner is cheap and can be touched up at home, powder coat is expensive and can't be touched up, Line-X is also expensive but with the lifetime warranty touch ups are not my problem.